Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

SanDisk vs. iPOD for my 11 year old

I want to buy an mp3 for my 11 year old son for Christmas.
I found Sandisk 8GB (e280) @ Walmart for $188. The bonus
is the video where my budget for an ipod would only allow
a 2 or 4 GB nano. The write ups on cnet for the sandisk
(this one and the Rhapsody) sound great but should I go ahead
and get the regular e280 for $188, get him a nano without
video or let him put $ toward the ipod w/ video? how easy is
it to get music for the sandisk? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SanDisk vs. iPOD for my 11 year old
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SanDisk vs. iPOD for my 11 year old
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a surprise?

In reply to: SanDisk vs. iPOD for my 11 year old

Does he know that he's getting an mp3 player for Christmas? Maybe if you had some input from him, it would help. It seems everyone wants an iPod, so that would be a safe choice. How much music does he have or potentially have, if he's sharing music with you?

If you want to go for capacity, go for the SanDisk. It is a great deal. I don't think that video on that small of a screen is watchable for more than a few minutes, so I wouldn't even consider that a factor.

It is more versatile than the iPod. It has an fm tuner and a user replaceable rechargeable lithium ion battery. When the battery eventually dies (loses its ability to hold a charge - all eventually will die) you can just buy a new one. All ipod models lack an fm tuner and when the battery dies you can either try to replace it yourself (the newer models don't look very easy to pry apart) or pay Apple $66 to replace the unit with a new or refurbished model and more than likely it will be refurbished.
It supports subcription services, such as Rhapsody and you can purchase downloadable content from more than one store. I don't have a SanDisk, but I imagine it should be pretty easy to load music onto it. I'm sure your son could figure it out. With the iPod, you're stuck with iTunes and no subscription services.

I'm not an iPod hater. In fact, I own several. And I like them very much. I just like to point out what it lacks so that people go in knowing this - to avoid disappointments. With that said, if your son thinks the iPod Nano is so cool that he's willing to give up capacity and features then you should by him that.

Collapse -
Sansa is a way better player for less

In reply to: Is this a surprise?

The sansa is better player than the Ipod if you compare gig to gig, get the sansa it is easier to use, not as proprietary as the ipod and a far better unit for the money.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.