Samsung forum

General discussion

samusng tv (LE40C750) won't play .wtv files (unsupported)

by degreem / November 14, 2010 6:33 AM PST

Hi Samsung,

You give us network connectivity, you use words "Recorded TV", point us to LAN connected computers and then you do not support .wtv format!? "Recoded TV" on Windows 7 IS in .wtv format! Anyone home? What is the point of the whole excercise? I just downloaded the latest firmware 3003 - the same thing.

Not A Happy Bunny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samusng tv (LE40C750) won't play .wtv files (unsupported)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samusng tv (LE40C750) won't play .wtv files (unsupported)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Moving target?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 6:40 AM PST

I looked at the 3 Windows 7 machines I have and not one does this recording. And here the cable/uverse/other tv systems block content recording so what could be recorded is almost nothing.

-> Good question but for now you may want to post this as a "feature request." And put it to Microsoft to support DLNA natively.
Bob

Collapse -
to R. Proffitt
by degreem / November 14, 2010 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Moving target?

You may have misunderstood, the TV's DLNA can see my win7 machine and a subset of folders through one of the user accounts which I made "open" to link to the TV. I CAN play generic video formats like avi or mpg but what's annoying is that when I select to play a .wtv format file (interestingly enought, the TV recognizes that it's a video file as it assigns it a video file icon) - it tries to play it but comes back with a message "unsupported file format". And Samsung IS pointing us to Recorded TV files.
The link is ok - the TV's codec bank is missing the right codec to play .wtv files - how difficult is it to add it to the firmware? I suppose it's a 1p effort on part of Samsung, but do they care? Or do they want us to simply ignore them and go for en external media player/pc? What a waste of time...

Not A Happy Bunny

Collapse -
wtv
by jw650 / November 17, 2010 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: to R. Proffitt

Isn't this a proprietary format? I don't even know if it's possible to get a decoder that works outside Windows.

I believe it's possible to convert the files to the older dvr-ms format within Windows 7. From there, you can convert to a Samsung compatible format. I have used MCE Buddy with some success - once set up, you just need to drop the file into the folder, and index the folder with your DLNA server.

Collapse -
amusng tv (LE40C750) won't play .wtv files (unsupported)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 17, 2010 12:44 PM PST

degreem,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy. I did at least want to address your post and answer the concern.

I don't know why certain formats are chosen over another. That said, I'm from the U.S. offices. If you want a change, I'd recommend contacting the Samsung customer service center in your region - or maybe a higher office.

The list of supported formats is available in the online manuals. People can check prior to purchase for themselves, and also, they can visit a local retailer if there's a specific function they're looking to perform with the television. Formats are generally not added later, so I can't speak to if or when that would/could be done.

I'm sorry I don't have a more direct answer, but .wtv, as far as I know, is not a supported format.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTech
by degreem / November 19, 2010 12:09 AM PST

Thank you for your reply, puts a face to the logo. I was just hoping I would not have to dish out another 400 pounds for a media pc that will do everything wright (or will it?). It's a waste of money and it's not good for the planet too.

BTW can you pass to the firmware development team that 3003 version has lost the option to turn the screen off while tv is still on.

Another one - the remote Subt. button should instantly toggle subs on/off - with no menu invoked, and a more elaborate subs menu should only be shown through Menu button.

regs
degreem

Collapse -
HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 19, 2010 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: HDTech

degreem,

Have you tried the Tools button to see if the option was moved? Let me know if that works. Is the option greyed out, or just non-existent in the latest firmware?

I'll be happy to do that. I appreciate the feedback.

--HDTech

Collapse -
screen off
by degreem / November 19, 2010 7:10 PM PST

oops, sorry, instead of Picture Modes (maybe they should put it there too?) i found it in Energy Saving modes. So it's still there

subs suggestions still stands.

regs
de

Collapse -
550 plays one .wtv file but no more
by jurassical / February 23, 2011 1:22 PM PST

Hi,

This is an old but relevant thread to discuss this I hope. I manually recorded a TV show when I first installed Win Media Center a few days ago, and just tried to open it for drill in my Sammy 40C550. To my suprise, it did open and continues to open even though it's the same in every way as the other .wtv files according to "properties" except it had an ownership of "NETWORK SERVICE" instead of the ownership under security advanced. I changed it to a different owner but it still plays. I changed the unplayables to NETWORK SERVICE but they still don't play. Any thoughts? ANYONE?

Thanks in advance.

Rex

Windows 7 SP1

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!