Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Samsung YP-Z5 album art- HOW TO (even without WMP10 !)

by wastedyuthe / April 2, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

Right, so normally you should right click on a track or list of tracks in WMP10 and click 'find album info' in order to get your album art, then transfer the tracks over to your player as normal. What if some of those still have problems not showing album art (like two of my albums I didn't use the default album art for) or WMP10 couldn't find album art for some tracks?
Okay people- listen up!! Album art isn't a problem now, for anyone! I have found out that you can put any picture in an album folder on the player and it will become the album art for that album! All you have to do is follow these strict rules: 1) Don't go overboard with the size- 100x100 pixels is fine 2) The file MUST be labelled 'albumartsmall.jpg'. So, you don't even need WMP10 to find album art if you don't want to. But it does mean you have to make sure that jpg file is in the folder with the music to get the album art. What you can do is still use WMP10 to sync with the player, and if there are any known albums that don't normally display album art or haven't got it, move the jpg file over afterwards. Or if you drag and drop your music, just make sure the jpg file goes over to the player along with the music. Simple. No-one has to be without album art now. (very handy if WMP10 can't find album art, like on a few of my albums and single tracks).
PS. The easiest way to find your album art is google image search- save the file directly into your computer album folder Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung YP-Z5 album art- HOW TO (even without WMP10 !)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung YP-Z5 album art- HOW TO (even without WMP10 !)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that works???
by Night Surfer / April 2, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

You did it that way and the album art shows up on the player?
I have the Z5 also. I tried the albumart.jpg (both small and large). Didn't work on my player. I just tried it again after reading your post. No luck.
I had to tag them w/ WMP10 (find album art)and then sync them over. Works fine then.
You can also use the advanced tag editor in wmp10 and put any picture you want as album art.

Collapse -
works under certain curcumstances
by wastedyuthe / April 2, 2006 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: that works???

Hi. Yes, it has worked for a good few tracks I have, where WMP10 couldn't find album art for them. I think if WMP10 has already assigned album art and your try with another jpg it doesn't work- tried with one that already had art in the pc folder and it wouldn't display the new one I put in the player- yet it wouldn't display the one already assigned from WMP10 either. So I did another search by WMP10 and found the album again- then when I transfered the album art was there. Hopefully some of these little bugs will be ironed out in a firmware. Unfortunately, although WMP10 has assigned and displays album art, some albums in my collection (albeit only a couple) still don't display it, but manually copying a jpg over fixes this for me.

Collapse -
I think I have just solved it for good!
by wastedyuthe / April 4, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Okay- With A LOT of testing and trial by error, I have found that the Samsung uses the 'AlbumArt_{(long code here)}_large' file stored in each album folder on your computer, for each album. Basically, if this file is too large a size (memory) then it will not be used, but a smaller jpg file can be used instead by placing it in the folder on the player. However, rather than do this with every album with the problem, I decided to dig further and try and solve why the player only had this problem with a few select albums (even though their album art displays on WMP10 okay).
Result!!!
All that's needed is to make sure that for each album you have that doesn't display album art on the player(that you have already found using WMP10) check the size of the 'AlbumArt_{(large code)}_Large' file on the computer- for all of my albums that didn't work, this file was too big (around 60-70Kb)- all the ones that do work are around 5-15Kb. I used Photoshop to save the file using a higher Jpeg compression, thereby shrinking the size of the file to around 30Kb- THIS WORKS. The picture can still be around 200x200 pixels, it's just the size of the file that needs changing, by altering the quality. So remember, if you want to use the file that WMP10 associates with the album, or you want to transfer a jpg file over to the player for album art, just make sure it is below 40Kb.
Samsung replied to a query of mine by email asking me if my album art is below the limitations in size the player can take, as per the manual. I re-read the manual and couldn't find anywhere in it any information of that sort. Like I said, I just used trial by error in the end.
By the way, if anyone has any single tracks that WMP10 can't find album art for- here's a neat trick to save you moving over jpg's to the player every time:
Find album art from Google image search, making sure the size (Kb) is small enough.
Re-name all the tags for the track to a song you haven't got already, but one that WMP10 will find album art for. Then, once you have the album art re-name the tags back to the proper ones. Go into the folder to find the album files ('show' your hidden files in 'tools' and 'folder options' first) and replace the files with the album picture you got from Google, making sure the names of the files STAY AS THEY WERE, codes and all (copy and paste, it's easier). Then WMP10 and your player will show the Google piccy as your new album art! You now need ever transfer a jpg over!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?