Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung WIS09ABGN connectivity problems

by gpapai / January 31, 2011 7:44 PM PST

Hi,

I have a WIS09ABGN that behaves strangely on a LED UE46?7000.

I do the configuration on TV OK: wireless, find wifi, connect (WPA2-PSK security), input passcode, test connection ok and signal green.

I try to connect my TV with internet@TV, (at some point it did connect and started to install some components). Then when I try to connect it gives a DNS connection error.

When I go back on the config screen, and test the connection, all pass but the 4th step (DNS Server). Wifi is unchanged, all other devices work fine (wii, PS2, iphones, laptops...). Once every 10 times or so it passes the test, but again when I go to connect to internet is gives an error message...

My router is a Thomson 585v8 (G/N). I had the same (and worse) problems with a Linksys WAP54G, never got to connect.

Can you please advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung WIS09ABGN connectivity problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung WIS09ABGN connectivity problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2011 4:16 AM PST
Collapse -
by gpapai / February 1, 2011 5:49 PM PST

Thank you for your promt reply.

I suspect its 100% the WIS09ABGN's fault, since all other devices work as a charm... The setup is ok, since the adapter connects, tests pass, but then... it does not connect again.

Could the adapter be faulty?

Should I try it in the other usb port (HDD)?

The thing is, if we start experimenting...we could write thousands of posts back and forth, blaming the network, the settings etc. The reason I changed my Linksys Access point was the samsung stick in the first place...

From what I've seen in other posts and sites (and I'm talking about this stick), Samsung just sells an adapter that has no tech support specifications, compatibility checks, proper troubleshooting etc, not even firmware (its on TV).

I like my TV sooooo much and its a pity that one useful part of it is left unattended...

Maybe I should consider other "Open" TV Firmwares, that support other wifi sticks, plus I will have DTS support for mkv video...

Any advice?

Collapse -
"since all other devices work as a charm.."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 7:42 AM PST
Collapse -
since all other devices work as a charm...
by gpapai / February 3, 2011 5:31 PM PST

Thank you for your reply.

I looked at the other post.
My router's firmware is the latest, so not much I can do there.

If the other suggestion is to change the security to WPA instead of WPA2, no prob, i have no severe security concerns, I could try it (and will do). However I think I had some issues in the past (maybe it was WEP, can't remember)and that's why I changed to WPA2...

What bugs me is that the WIS09ABGN is certified for WPA2:
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA10340
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA10342

I will keep you posted...

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 10:48 PM PST

The CNET Networking Forum's top sticky posts would have liked to stick with WPA2 but we found things that didn't work well together so we pulled back to WPA which is still secure enough that it takes a cloud computer service and MONEY to crack. Since the person that is trying to use your internet connection for FREE is unlikely to pay for this and it fails the moment you change your password this keeps WPA and WPA2 secure enough for today.

WEP, even with MAC address filtering is crackable in a few minutes so we don't argue with folk that want others to use that. Letting others use the broken security systems means WPA/WPA2 systems are not as interesting to those that want to interfere with wifi networks.

In closing, wifi is not a reliable system. Someday someone will write a good paper on that but I find it sad how oversold this feature is. That is, folk are learning first hand that you can't always count on it working.
Bob

Collapse -
Some progress...
by gpapai / February 6, 2011 4:58 PM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Hi,

Thank for the advice.
Now, to our topic:
I downloaded a wifi network tool to monitor wifi activity, and I changed the channel of my Thomson Wifi router to a "more empty" channel (No 3), though I have no serious clutter in my area.

I did that for two reasons. One is other overlapping wifis as I mentioned above, but I read also in a thread that the WIS09ABGN is set by default to channel 1 (that was what I had my router configured to).

I also changed the security to WPA+WPA2.

I unplugged the adaptor and re-plugged back in the TV (to re enter all settings) and configured the wifi as should, again connection tests ok.

Then I saw the light(!) I managed to download widgets, and see the homegroup computer folders (DLNA).

I played with the widgets a bit, then got another "connection error", but after a few retries it seems to work (about 80% of the time...). Next stel stream some video inside the wifi...

I think I will call it a day at this point, cause any further "re-configuration" will end up re-engineering my whole network...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?