Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Wireless Lan Adapter

by jblue212 / January 21, 2010 1:25 PM PST

Tomorrow morning I am receiving my new Samsung LED TV, and I'm very excited. I got the 7000 series so I can have the internet widgets, but was very dismayed to find that it is not wireless out of the box but I must spend another $80 for a dongle. (ouch - I am spending so much on the TV as it is, I am so not happy about this...)

but it seems the dongle I need, Samsung WIS09ABGN - is out of stock EVERYWHERE except on Ebay where the price is inflated even more.

Then I read in this forum that there is a new dongle - WIS09ABGN2, but that only works with BluRay players and not TVs.

So my dongle is discontinued and there is no other I can use? After spending all this $$ on the TV?
The thought of an ethernet cable stretched across my living room is not a happy one.

Can someone clarify - is the part I need is obsolete and if so, is one being released that will work with my TV? And when is this happening if so?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Wireless Lan Adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Wireless Lan Adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
alternative...
by boseme / January 21, 2010 2:35 PM PST
Collapse -
alternative...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2010 3:35 PM PST
In reply to: alternative...

If the posted unit doesn't work, Samsung customer service won't be able to assist with troubleshooting. They can only provide support for the Samsung LinkStick because it was designed to specifically work with the television.

I don't mind if people post alternatives, but if it doesn't work, it's not something that Samsung can assist with.

--HDTech

Collapse -
$
by boseme / January 21, 2010 9:36 PM PST

I agree with that approach from your perspective. That is why I only posted that a forum member has had the Rosewill RNX-N1 (-N1Mac has the same specs) work with their '09 TV.

Before that I did not post that this alternative worked with the TV, only the blu-ray. I have had the Rosewill RNX-N1Mac work perfectly with my BD-P 1590, as expected since they share the same chipsets.

Just wish I had confirmation of the "AGN" chipset. I know it is a Ralink...just not the specific chipset #.

I can understand limiting options of dongles to minimize the customer service nightmare possibility if multiple USB dongles were allowed. Also the drivers would have to be loaded onto the TV/Blu-Ray. (issues with updates etc) Knowing which chipset and drivers in the unit would help though.

Edit:
Update...a little searching found that the WIS09ABGNX is Samsung's mfr part number for the WIS09ABGN. The "X" is included for the European version. The ABGN and ABGNX is the same.

Since that is the case
http://www.ralinktech.com/press-releases-detail.php?s=8

"Ralink Technology, a leading developer of high performance wireless solutions, today announced that its 300 Mbps dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi chipset (RT2800U) has been integrated into Samsung?s WIS09ABGNX LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter"

The Rosewill has already been verified to work with Blu-Ray. This is also confirmation that it will work for any device that accepts the WIS09ABGN.

Collapse -
any tips
by Dmonkified / April 24, 2010 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: $

i bought the rosewill rnx-n1 from newegg and i plugged it in the the samsung bdp 1590 and went to setup and network and set it to wireless, but when i go to choose AP it can't find my router, do i need to set up stuff prior to plugging it into the player? i am not too familiar with Access points, i'm hoping there is a solution because it seems like its working for all the other people, i must be missing a step.

Collapse -
update
by Dmonkified / April 24, 2010 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: any tips

i just installed the latest firmware update (said it updated from 1.4 to 2.8 i believe) to see if that would allow it to see my AP but no such luck.

Collapse -
any tips
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2010 6:59 AM PDT

Dmonkified,

Another user was suggesting that particular unit. Unfortunately, I don't have any tips.

--HDTech

Collapse -
rnx-easyN1
by Dmonkified / April 28, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

rats, thanks anyways. I am just realizing that i have the rosewill rnx-easyn1 i'm not sure if that easy is the cause of it not working, but on newegg site there were some reviews of people getting it to work with the samsung bdp1590 model. i'm going to try and set up an old linksys router as a repeater and connect it with a cat5 cable like another user did. hopefully that way will work.

Collapse -
Rosewill RNX-N1 compatability with Samsung LN40B630 LCD Tv
by materago / June 3, 2010 1:54 PM PDT

Hi HD Tech,

I recently purchased the Rosewill dongle, have gone thru all the instructions on the Samsung site to get the network going. I get the message Network connected, then it goes back to Network Setup without connecting to the internet. I do not have an "Internet button" on my remote. Am I missing something? I do get the Info Link no problem. Thanks for your help in advance.

Collapse -
"Another user was suggesting that particular unit. Unfortuna
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 9:45 PM PDT

"Another user was suggesting that particular unit. Unfortunately, I don't have any tips."

The Cnet Networking Forum has a "Samsung Owners Start Here" posting to help some out the first time.
Bob

Collapse -
Rosewill RNX-N1 compatability with Samsung LN40B630 LCD Tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2010 2:52 PM PDT

materago,

I'm not even sure if that Rosewell dongle is compatible. One user has suggested that he got one and it worked, but there are several models out there.

Boseme was leading the suggestion on that, so I have no idea what models of Rosewell dongles work, and which do not. I've stated that the WIS10ABGN is the only compatible LinkStick for the 2009 and 2010 models of Samsung televisions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Rosewill/Samsung compatibility
by materago / June 7, 2010 11:38 AM PDT

Well I found out that my TV does not support Internet, so I have to buy a Samsung Blu-Ray player, but the Rosewill dongle does work for Info Link and thus should work with the Blu-Ray player. We'll see in a couple of months when I buy the player. Thanks for all the input.

Collapse -
Samsung/Rosewill Dongle
by materago / June 28, 2010 2:12 AM PDT

Quick update: I purchased the Samsung 5500 Blu Ray, and the Rosewill RNX-N1 dongle does work for streaming internet. One other question though, The quality of the Netflix movies is pretty bad, is this clearly a function of slow DSL, or could there be another factor? I have the slowest speed of around 768kbps. Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Samsung/Rosewill Dongle
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2010 2:46 PM PDT

materago,

It's hard to determine, but I think it's safe to say with most DSL connections, you'll receive SD quality, maybe better - assuming that your network is otherwise idle.

If someone is downloading big files or watching YouTube on a laptop in the same network, you may end up buffering as the speeds change.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix Quality issues
by materago / June 30, 2010 1:27 AM PDT

So then I should assume that Netflix is sending poor quality streaming movies, the movie I watched came out last year and should have been excellent quality. And moving to a cable internet service would not affect that quality?

Collapse -
Netflix Quality issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 30, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix Quality issues

materago,

Using a 1.5 DSL line, I've viewed some Netflix streaming, and it came out pretty good. The only drawback to a slower connection is video quality and occasional buffer issues.

I'm not sure how the ripping or streaming process by Netflix is done. Some movies seem better than others, but I've come across very few that I'd complain about.

Just my observation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RNX-N1 Samsung compatability
by materago / June 3, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Sorry, I forgot to tell you I tried to update the Firmware and the TV doesn't let me do that, says it could not find the update on my flashdrive. Thanks.

Collapse -
RNX-N1 Samsung compatability
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2010 2:53 PM PDT

materago,

Did you launch the unzipped file on the desktop, and then direct it to install on a freshly formatted thumbdrive?

--HDTech

Collapse -
alternative...
by jblue212 / January 21, 2010 10:09 PM PST

I understand that Samsung will only support their own product - but then my question is, why is this product unavailable anywhere and is there an alternative Samsung product that is available or will be soon?

Collapse -
thanks
by jblue212 / January 21, 2010 10:20 PM PST
Collapse -
No problem jblue.
by boseme / January 25, 2010 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Just passing along information provided to me when I was researching wireless options. $20 is a great option.

Let the forum know how it works on your TV. The included flexible USB extender helps to see the adapter activity lights as I have it plugged into the rear port of my blu-ray.

Collapse -
Encore ENUWI-N works
by rurallaw / June 7, 2010 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem jblue.

I bought the Encore ENUWI-N about a year ago. Always had problems getting it to work on windows XP and Vista. ENCORE's included software was crap. Installed the Ralink software and it worked much better.

I recently bought a the Samsung BD-C5500 two weeks ago and decided to try it. It works!!! Works better than when used with a PC.

Newegg has the ENUWI-N3 (note the "N3") for sale for (nine) $9!!! I don't know if it is the same chip set, but it may be worth checking out.

Encore may not be the best quality and gets a little hot, but I've been watching netflix streaming movies with it. I have ATT DSL so my speed is limited.

At $9 vs $80 for the Samsung adapter, this may be worth trying for some people.

Collapse -
ENUWI-N3 (Note N3) will NOT work with Samsung
by rurallaw / June 11, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Encore ENUWI-N works

I did a few forum searches and it appears the N3 uses the rt3070 chip and not rt2870.

Collapse -
Jsut a little update regarding the Encore USD adaptor
by rurallaw / October 28, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

Well, its been been about 5 months now so I decided to post an update. I'm happy to report that the Encore ENUWI-N is still going strong. I've seen a few on ebay for about $13. I love watching Netflix on my BD-C5500 and have been viewing for several hours each night. I've also been streaming from TVersity with the Samsung profile added (search the TVersity forums).

Samsung has really been making good progress with each firmware upgrade. I've been eyeing a RoKu, but for the price of the XD-S model, I think I'd rather buy another BD-C5500 and the Encore ENUWI-N from e-bay.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!