TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung vs Toshiba 50' DLP

by mrbockbagok / May 2, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

Hello, I'm new to this whole HDTV thing, and have been trying to learn as much about it as I can. I'm currently looking at these two DLP TVs:

Samsung HLS5066
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010077153&catid=23250

Toshiba 50HM66
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010074155&catid=23250

I'm not looking for top of the line, just something nice to play X-box 360 and watch a few movies on. I will also be wanting to hook up this receiver http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR604&p=i.

I have tried to search these two TVs, on the web and have not found out much about them. I have gone to look at them in the store, and I can't see any difference in quality between the two along with the other TVs near by.

My question is; which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you for you help, as I can't decide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung vs Toshiba 50' DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung vs Toshiba 50' DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both are good 720p DLPs Tosh and Sammy are neck-n-neck.
by jcrobso / May 3, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

The Toshiba is on sale per the web site so it wins buy the lower price.
It would be hard to the tell the difference between the two sets.
The AV receiver is fine, what are you using for speakers????
For Sound systems I recommend 60~70% of you budget for the speakers and the remainder for the AV receiver. John

Collapse -
GOOD PRICE BUT OUTDATED
by stewart norrie / May 3, 2007 4:43 AM PDT

No h.d.m.i. digital input and only 720 no no. 14 months I bought the Toshiba 72HM195 d.l.p. beast paid $4300 for it now on sale with stand $3000 . #3000 might seem high but your taliking about 72" 1080P with 2 h.d.m.i. ports This monster hooked up to my new Blue Ray player looks as good as the best movie theater in town, But if your budget is only $1000 then go for it Its going to be the biggest bang for the buck stewe

Collapse -
Thank you
by mrbockbagok / May 3, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

I would get a bigger TV but, I live in a small house and anything bigger than 50 is too big. I also don't feel I need 1080:

1) The difference between 1080 and 720 is very small (and not worth the extra cash right now, in my eyes).

2) X-box 360 doesn't display in true 1080.

3) I don't have a blue ray player.

For speakers I have not really decided, for now I'm going to be using my brothers Theater Research. But I have been looking at Paradim or Klipsch. How do you feel about these 2 brands?

Thank you for your insight.

Collapse -
MR BOCK GOOD CHOICE
by stewart norrie / May 3, 2007 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I think you will love both the t.vs you have mentioned I do love my Toshiba great customer service and warrenty repair service can be done at any warrenty service center If you get the Toshiba there is one thing you should know. and check out Some of there lamps were factory defective So I would Call Toshiba and give them the model and serial # If its the old lamp they will replace it and give you an ubdated one and extend the lamp warrenty an extra year. Like I said you are really getting a great price huge picture and very affordable. As far as speakers go let your ears do they buying remember they will last a lifetime and if you get a great speaker system they will thrill you forever stewe

Collapse -
Toshiba
by mrbockbagok / May 4, 2007 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: MR BOCK GOOD CHOICE

I have heard about the lamps in the Toshiba TVs, and thats one of the reasons why I was not too sure about the TV. But I didn't know about calling them and getting a new bulb, thank you for that info.

All I have to do now is stain my newly built entertainment center.

Once again thank you for help and insight.

Collapse -
mr bock you forget to stain your snack bar
by stewart norrie / May 5, 2007 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba

Forgot to tell you but if you go to the Toshiba web site and look up your model # it will tell if your set has the defective lamp My updated lamp is now over a year old and still blazing bright Also replacing lamp is a snap one screw on side of t.v. lamp slides out with quick disconnet then slap in a new one, also for the best possible picture possible use h.d.m.i. for your satellite or cable system and d.v.d. player I like my Dish Network hi-def system because you can get the Hi-Def package and VOOM for only $15.00 extra per month and you have the option to set up an outside antenna for your local hi-def stations which should give you tons of hi-def to watch post back and let me know how everything works out with you stewee

Collapse -
PLAYING WITH STEWEE IS LIKE PLAYING WITH FIRE,,,,BUT........
by Riverledge / May 5, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

HIS SPEAKER ADVICE IS ON TARGET. YOU Must take the time and audition them yourself. Speaker advice is all conjecture and personal. Reviewers and C-Net members are only sharing our opinions!

Speakers must be auditioned by the primary listener. Hopefully in a decent enviroment.

Best wishes,
River.

Collapse -
Don't let the lamp decide for you,
by ahtoi / May 15, 2007 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba

because Toshiba make the lamps for Samsung also (at least it was..a couple years ago).

Collapse -
Ditto about speaker advice.
by NM_Bill / May 5, 2007 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Paradigm & Klipsch are both fine brands.(Confession-I have Paradigm.) Other traditional brands in the group include. JBL, Polk, Infinity, & Boston Acoustics.

I might add specifically for well regarded quality & value (in addition to Paradigm) PSB, Epos, Monitor Audio, & Energy are worth auditioning if available in your area.

Collapse -
Samsung 5087W
by mrbockbagok / May 10, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nice receiver choice. It'll do the job for you without
by NM_Bill / May 10, 2007 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 5087W

breaking a sweat. We are, however, tantalized about your speaker possibilities. Even if you'll make do with your brothers' for the time being, after you recopver financially, I feel you owe it to yourself to seek out listening to a set of Paradigm or PSB Canadian speakers or Monitor Audio British units. They will nearly amaze you as to performance at an affordable price point. If available in your area, check them out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?