Samsung forum

Question

Samsung UN65HU8550

by textexington / May 2, 2014 1:16 AM PDT

I recently purchased the Samsung UN65HU8550 TV from Best Buy. It looked amazing in the store but since I have taken it home and set it up it just doesn't look that great. The store model was so vibrant and clear, the way mine is set up the picture looks dull and blurry. I have tried changing the brightness but that doesn't really seem to help with vibrancy of color. I spent a ton of money on this tv unless it improves I think I might have to return it...

Thanks for any suggestions
Jon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN65HU8550
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN65HU8550
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's possible
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung UN65HU8550

The store unit has been calibrated. Head back to the store and ask to see the settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Please read
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: It's possible
Collapse -
I tweaked the settings
by textexington / May 2, 2014 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Please read

Is it possible that part of my problem is that the store model was connected to 4K content for display purposes? I currently have the brightness at 50 and color at 56...

Collapse -
Now that's a deep discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I tweaked the settings

As we can correct the display for most content, if some content or rather the movie maker casts a grey pall over the movie for aesthetic/artistic effect then we might think we need to tinker.

CNET writes how they calibrate at the left side panel of http://forums.cnet.com/hdtv-picture-settings-forum/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0;blankArea.2

See the side links labeled:

CNET HDTV setting resources
Picture settings and calibration FAQ
CNET''s calibration process
DIY calibration: HDTV tune-up tips

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung UN65HU8550
by greggjl / June 12, 2014 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung UN65HU8550

That's because this set is dull and blurry. For me it's because I'm inputting standard def DirecTV. Can't have sharpness higher than 50 or it looks like I'm viewing through a screen door. And I like a very sharp picture so consequently when set at 50 picture is blurry. I have researched this 4k up scaling thing and found a site that showed an HD picture and the same pic up scaled to 4K which.was very blurry. They noted this but said viewing at more than 15 feet the difference wouldn't be noticeable. I think it is. Undoubtedly, the showroom was input was either hd or uhd. It took me about 4 hours to configure the settings and besides the lack of sharpness, the picture is great. Colors are vibrant, whites, blacks, and contrast are fantastic. The blurriness bothers me a lot. Maybe better off getting an HD set . If I can get my settings to you somehow for you to try I would be happy to do that. Also one warning - DO NOT update that set via the internet without writing down EVERY setting. Updating resets everything to lousy factory settings as well as other glitches. Turn auto updating OFF if connected to the internet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?