Samsung forum

Question

Samsung UN60ES8000FXZA Rebooting

by mbaumbach / January 1, 2014 2:15 AM PST

I've had this TV for about a year and a half and have had the Wi-fi enabled and working fine the whole time.

I came back from Christmas vacation and noticed when I first turned the TV on, it worked for about 30 seconds and then restarted (Powered off and back on) by itself. It did this once or twice and then was completely fine. I noticed it happened again when I left the TV off for a while.

I assumed this was likely a dying power supply or capacitor, so I called up Samsung support and they recommended I turn the wi-fi off by setting it to obtain the IP address manually and setting everything to 0.0.0.0. This made no sense to me and I tried to get information as to why the wi-fi would suddenly start causing this issue and what the reasoning was, but unfortunately the support person didn't have the answer as to why, just that it should fix it.

After some testing, this appears to HAVE fixed the issue and I'm absolutely confused as to why. My only guess is that there was a bad software update around the wi-fi that causes this or there is something hardware related around the wi-fi that causes this.

While I'm glad this isn't more serious and seems to have a workaround, I'd love to know what caused this and if there's a way I can fix this. Nothing has changed with my wi-fi router and there aren't any new wi-fi devices on my network. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this still a hardware issue that can be fixed?

If I re-enable the wi-fi, this begins happening again and only seems to happen when the TV is first turned on after being off for a while. Once it stops rebooting, the wi-fi does work fine and I'm able to use things like Netflix or check for updates. It's really confusing and sounds like a firmware or hardware issue (Shotty capacitor in the wi-fi circuit?), but I can't get an answer from Samsung support as to what is causing it. I'm perfectly fine taking the TV apart to replace a simple capacitor, but if this is a known firmware issue I just need to wait on a fix for, that would be great to know before I pull the TV off the wall and take it apart. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN60ES8000FXZA Rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN60ES8000FXZA Rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About Samsung UN60ES8000FXZA Rebooting
by tube2a3 / January 1, 2014 9:28 AM PST

Happy new year!

If your TV is fixed by software.

Then you don't have to read below.

But, if you have same symptom again.

Then you may need WIFI Module(BN59-01148C).
(It is apprx $20.00 on ebay But, you must get brand new only!!)

TV could get power cycling by itself & wifi connection problem together if WIFI module get bad or fail.

Please! don't ruin Happy your TV with replacing caps or other parts.

That is expensive TV.

That model has not capacitor issue.

WIFI module is bottom underneath of dark brown(black?) plastic back cover.

You have to real be careful !!! When you remove that plastic back cover !!!

Cuz it might attached with some thin wires connectors.

That WIFI module is 1.5" X 1.5" X 1/4" Square shape.

One side is plain black plastic & the other side has half metal & half black plastic.
(Check the picture on Google).

It mounted with only one screw.

I think you can fix your TV with this.

Just be careful to handle it! Happy

Thank you!

Collapse -
Thank you!
by mbaumbach / January 1, 2014 10:37 AM PST

Thank you for the quick response. I'll have to pickup the wifi module and try replacing it. I'm glad to hear it's probably not a cap issue and considering disabling the wifi seems to be a workaround, I was starting to suspect it wasn't anymore. I wasn't too excited about testing each one either. Happy

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Answer
same issue!
by Sugikz / January 11, 2014 4:09 PM PST

I just bought my UA55F8000AM and im actually experiencing rebooting by itself (powered off and back on) like what happened to your TV! I am going to try to set the Wifi off and see what happens. My tv was on wifi the whole time too...

Collapse -
Samsung UA55F8000AM Rebooting
by tube2a3 / January 12, 2014 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: same issue!

I believe your TV(UA55F8000AM) hasn't same reason as the other's(UN60ES8000FXZA) for power cycling.

Cuz 2 different Models.

I doubt about your TV(UA55F8000AM)'s symptom from

1) main bd. (80% ?)

2) power bd. (20% ?).

Also, You still need to disconnected to hard wire between 'Main bd' & 'WIFI Module' for checking out,

If you doubt to your TV's WIFI module making power cycling problem.

So, Better use warranty service.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Answer
This is a known defect with this model and others.
by eemmanuel2750 / December 7, 2014 11:48 AM PST

This is documented under a samsung bulletin
ASC20130429001

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.