Samsung forum

Question

Samsung UN55JS8500 Smoothing Streaming Video

I've turned off the Automotion Plus and any other possible culprits, and tv/disc playback looks fine. Any time I use the Amazon Prime or Netflix apps, though, the picture gets a bit of an unnatural smoothing effect. Granted, it looks nowhere near as bad as full-on "Soap Opera Effect", but it is quite annoying and more than a bit distracting. Anybody else run across this or have any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN55JS8500 Smoothing Streaming Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN55JS8500 Smoothing Streaming Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This complaint is common with lower internet speeds.

In reply to: Samsung UN55JS8500 Smoothing Streaming Video

Or over WiFi. Details are missing here.

Collapse -
WiFi, high speed

In reply to: This complaint is common with lower internet speeds.

The apps are running over an AC1900 router. Download speeds over my WiFi are consistently 60-70 Mbps. There was no decrease in the smoothing effect when moving to a higher speed Internet plan using a faster router. In fact, the interpolation is even more noticeable now.

Collapse -
That's more than enough for good streaming.

In reply to: WiFi, high speed

I wonder if you are streaming old content. Just last week we watched a MacGyver and someone was complaining about it's quality. I can't know if you know why that is.

Collapse -
Quality of the video isn't the issue

In reply to: That's more than enough for good streaming.

The video is crystal clear, perfect HD. The issue is that the television is doing something to smooth the video, like a mild motion interpolation, even though all Automotion options are off. Happens on everything watched on Netflix or Prime. We've gone back to streaming through the BD player to avoid the issue, which is a shame because the apps on the TV are a great deal more responsive.

Collapse -
Video quality isn't the issue

In reply to: That's more than enough for good streaming.

The video is crystal clear, perfect HD. The problem is that the television is doing something to the video, like a mild motion interpolation, even though all Automotion options are off. Happens on everything watched on Netflix or Prime. We've gone back to streaming through the BD player to avoid the issue, which is a shame because the apps on the TV are a great deal more responsive.

Collapse -
Then back to Samsung and Netflix.

In reply to: Video quality isn't the issue

Folks have reported the Netflix app "quality" varies from device to device as well as on the PC and Roku. So far, no answers from Netflix if they can fix that.

Collapse -
Yep. Looks like it's pointless.

In reply to: Then back to Samsung and Netflix.

It's been pretty obvious to me that it's a client-side app issue from the beginning (Samsung support was no help whatsoever on that one). I posted here hoping that maybe somebody would've found a work-around or combination of settings that I'd missed—wishful thinking, I know. My best guess is that the app is doing some sort of preprocessing to compensate for the Netflix feed coming in at 24fps to a 120hz environment and over-smoothing the judder. Unfortunately, the only reasonable solution I could think of (Video Game Mode) is disabled when using native apps.

Here's to hoping for a software update.

Collapse -
A little why Samsung is not supportive

In reply to: Yep. Looks like it's pointless.

Samsung is hosting the app, not writing it. It's up to Netflix to deliver a good app but a few folk want to task Samsung for app issues. This is like taking Microsoft to task over how well Minecraft runs on a Dell.

This and other posts is why I continue to advise using other boxes for streaming over the native apps.

Collapse -
That's not at all what I said.

In reply to: A little why Samsung is not supportive

I understand that Samsung didn't write the app and I never said they were responsible for fixing it. I had contacted Samsung in case there was an option to change the playback options from a native app that I was somehow not aware of (on older models this could be done through the Tools button on the remote, for example). It was a valid course of action since this happens exactly the same on every streaming app so it might have been a global video setting that I'm missing. They were of no help because getting their outsourced, clueless 'tech support' to even understand what I was even asking took almost 30 minutes.

I'm, addressing the issue toward Netflix currently, but no idea if that will get any attention. I have five different devices that are currently capable of streaming Netflix, I was just hoping there was a way to relieve this issue and use the native app because it's far more responsive.

I posted here to see if somebody had found a way to mitigate the issue that I hadn't thought of. The answer is obviously "no", so I'll continue using the BD player and hoping for an app update.

Collapse -
You are right.

In reply to: That's not at all what I said.

In so many ways. Here my advice remains to use other boxes that work. A few folk think Samsung needs to step up. Your only pull with Samsung is to declare it a warranty issue. Keep on them to resolve or refund.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.