Resolved Question

Samsung UN55C8000xf

I purchased this TV approx 2 years ago. While watching it the other night it just went black. There is now a clicking noise constantly going as if the TV is trying to power up. After much research i found this to be a common problem in earlier LCD TV's. So much so a class action was filed. All indications point to power supply or more closely The capacitor. Did Samsung not fix the problem in this latest versions of TV? What is my recourse for an expensive TV to die after 2 years?

Discussion is locked
Scuppi has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Samsung UN55C8000xf
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung UN55C8000xf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Samsung did not fix the problem. Read on.

The issue was not caused by Samsung but by a bad supplier/maker of electrolytic capacitors that wiped out millions of PCs (Dell got hit with 2 million units alone) and now other electronics. So until Samsung and other makers start making their own parts they will not be able to fix the problem.

With that out of the way, always call in and ask if there is something known about this. I don't see the UN series on the list at http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/ but unless you call you don't know.

The clicking noise is NOT a clear way to diagnose BAD CAPS. Only the tech will do that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Samsung

Yes I understand Samsung didnt make the capacitors. I also checked that site and the model is not on there. There are NO LED T'V's on the list. I can only assume that since the class was started in around 2007 and was resolved around 2009-2010 there we no LED tv's out there. I did call samsung who graciously gave me the number of a dealer (in another state mind you) to pay to have it repaired myself.
Having said that....dont you think Samsung should take some responsability?

- Collapse -
I will not answer that question.

But until you call it in and get it inspected, we are making WILD GUESSES about it being that issue. Again, no one in this business would diagnose this from the symptoms alone.

It could be the other common near lightning strike damage or something else.

There are a lot of consumers that feel that makers should cover out of warranty units. This maker has done so and for that I think they've done much better than other makers. But then again you will encounter folk that feel that any failure, even out of warranty should be covered.
Bob

- Collapse -
Samsung

Bob,
Do you work for Samsung?

- Collapse -
No.

I'm an designer of electronics and software. My travels and more give me some insight on consumer electronics and the plight or plague of the industry regarding counterfeit components and more.

I'm also old enough to remember back when Color TV appeared and the consumer disasters that occurred then and what happened later (long tube warranties.) So far the current electronics industry is taking the path to lowest costs at the expense of life span. If you do some research you find that most things you see at the usual outlets are 2 to 5 year designs.

Again, try calling it in and whine a little about BAD CAPS and ask for a free inspection by a tech for that issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ok

I was under the impression there were reps from Samsung in this forum. Im not looking for a free diagnosis. Yes i did call it in an the rep said he was unaware of this kind of issue. What i was looking for was someone to say "yes it is most likely that". I am extremely handy and can make a basic swap out on mostly anything. I'm not saying build a tv but if the part cost 10 dollars and i can install it myself fine. If that' not the case and it's something more serious im only out 10 when i have it looked at.

- Collapse -
There are reps but I'd ask for the free inspection.

If you read the other discussions, there is never a diagnosis given. And any repair tech will rarely comment "it's that." The symptom can be a sign of one thing then you see the machine and it's not that. Your rep goes down in flames. So you do your best but never commit till you see it live.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ok

I can completely understand where your coming from. I have been on the your side of the phone call from customers and no you cant diagnosis it that way. Like i said, just looking for someone that may have seen something like this and point me in the right direction.

- Collapse -
I have to point at the 3 boards.

And then to the service tech's flow chart. They have a process they follow and in the systems I'm seeing there are usually 3 boards in there. Any one could have failed or all 3 (noted why above.) And if you worked this long you learn that there is no assurance what you've seen to date applies to today's call.

This can really upset folk but for now that's how it works.

-> My best advice is to call in, and ask for a free inspection for BAD CAPS. Samsung and other makers are aware of that issue and know they would lose in a claims battle.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Bob,
I appreciate the help thank you
Marc

- Collapse -
Answer
same problem

I noticed that a lot of people who purchased this same model on 2010 are starting to experience the same problem "the clicking sound." I started searching about the UN55C8000XF model and I noticed the same problem everywhere "the TV will not power on, ...there is a clicking sound". my question is, after you fixed the problem with the capacitor, did you experience the same problem or a different problem with the LCD TV?

CNET Forums