Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung UN46EH5300 46-Inch LED No Longer Connects to Router

I purchased a Samsung UN46EH5300FXZA Version TH02 46-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV in March 2013, and it has generally worked fine for the past 11 months. However, this week, it will no longer connect to the router. This is a problem because since we don't have cable, it means we cannot connect to Amazon, Netflix, etc. to watch any programs. Again, it has worked just fine in the past, all other devices (phones, iPad, computer) connect to wifi without issue. The TV sees the wifi, I've typed in the passcode 20+ times, it waits and waits, and then says unable to connect, showing IP addresses as all 0's. Issue with TV? Firmware update needed? Wifi card bad? I've also tried resetting the TV to its original settings, but that did not help. For what it's worth, we have Xfinity internet, using their standard modem connected to a Linksys router. I also tried resetting both the modem and router - no luck. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

oaktown_mojo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN46EH5300 46-Inch LED No Longer Connects to Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN46EH5300 46-Inch LED No Longer Connects to Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by oaktown_mojo

Collapse -
The clue is IP addresses as all 0's

In reply to: Samsung UN46EH5300 46-Inch LED No Longer Connects to Router

Try changing the router's SSID to something else. Make it SIMPLE, and keep it to say 8 alphanumerics. There is no security risk in SSID selection but changing it will force the TV to stop trying it's old connection.

What is this "passcode"? Let's hope you configured the router to first, defaults, then change the SSID, then lock it down with WPA2 AES personal security and a password. When I read passcode that could be WEP that is busted broken and trouble.
Bob

Collapse -
I will try this ...

In reply to: The clue is IP addresses as all 0's

Thanks Bob. I will definitely try this and let you know if it works. The router does currently have an alpha numeric code with "-" in between (total 14 characters): xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. Again, I'll give this a try later this evening. If it has worked for months previously, as currently configured, any reason why it would suddenly stop working though?

Collapse -
Hard to guess.

In reply to: I will try this ...

Updates happen and Samsung tends to write software to the spec. That is not a fault but can upset what works for other devices.

Collapse -
Another link.

In reply to: Hard to guess.

Collapse -
Solved

In reply to: Another link.

Bob - thank you for all your advice and info. I had also had an online chat with a Samsung service tech, and from that, I power cycled both the modem and router, and then did a RESET on the TV. I thought I had done a reset previously, but I think all that I reset was the SmartHub; as this reset was more like re-booting a computer (which, presumably is what it is). This was done through menu > self diagnosis > reset (and then entered a 4 digit passcode (default 0000) to confirm). Well, once the TV came back up, I was able to connect again to the wifi with no issues. So, probably a combination of things or perhaps just the reset or just the power cycling of the modem/router. Nonetheless, things are back up and running again.

<div>To clarify previous posts, the SSID was a simple alpha name, the "passcode" was the router password (which is the 14 alpha numeric code), and when it was failing to connect, I was getting a MAC address, but everything else (IP, DNS, etc.) came up as 0:0:0:0.

The service tech also sent a link with update to software, which I loaded onto USB drive. My TV does NOT have the current software loaded, though I am now hesitant to upload, for fear of causing more issues and not gaining anything from the update. Thoughts??

Thanks again.
</div>

Collapse -
The thing as you suspect with the update

In reply to: Solved

Is it may correct something you don't use. I don't use Smart TV features for many reasons but let's say Netflix updated. In time your TV's app may fail as Netflix changes and your TV didn't keep up.

There's another nugget to remember here. After a firmware update that reset may have to be repeated.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.