Samsung forum

Question

Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but

Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but The manual shows 60 hz as being the refresh rate in the specifications. The box and everything else says 120 hz. What gives?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.

In reply to: Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46C6500VFXZA appears to be this model.

But you can check if that is so.

1. MrSamsung writes: "i purchased smasung model# un46c6500 series 6 and am concerned it's 60hz rather than 120hz2 answer11/13/1005/02/11

It's 120...........I checked during set-ip

TLoia117(read all my Q&A)

Answers

Staff Answer

expert_answer

A : This TV is a fully capable 120Hz set and offers the Auto Motion
Plus feature that enhances said 120Hz image. This set will always
upscale your 60Hz signal to 120Hz, regardless of any settings you may
have active. However, in order to receive the full 120Hz benefit
(judder and blur reduction, and frame interpolation), you will need to
have Auto Motion Plus active. The reason you are seeing the 60Hz in the
info box is because the info box only displays the signal???s actual Hz
and screen resolution and not the info of the picture on the screen
after the TV processes it. Meaning that the 60Hz you are seeing is the
signals actual Hz and not the screen???s Hz. Currently there is no way
to display the screen???s Hz in the info box. Coincidentally, the
Samsung TVs can only accept a 60Hz signal and there are currently no
consumer devices on the market that will transmit at over 60Hz
(excluding some PCs).
-MrSamsung"

If you have a dated or manual with a typo, be sure to call it in.

2. The manual only noted a limit on XVid frame rates which is 60.

At no time did any page write the input rate was over 60.
Bob
Collapse -
Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but - New!

In reply to: Link, comment.

Yeah I knew about the info window displaying the source info being 60 hz, but in my manual in the specifications, it states 1920 x 1080p @ 60 hz panel native. I would expect to see 120 hz since this is what it is supposed to be.

Collapse -
For errors like that

In reply to: Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but - New!

You call it in and get a replacement manual.

Collapse -
Re; For errors like that

In reply to: For errors like that

I don't think it is a misprint in the manual. I have seen the manual dated September 2010, but I purchased this set in April 2011 and it had a mfg date of Feb 2011, and on the Specification page where all the other manuals say Resolution: 1920 x 1080, mine says Panel Native: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz. I have 2 other HDTV's that I spent way less money for that have a lot better picture in fast action video. The Samsung is very fuzzy no matter what the settings are set at for the Auto Motion Plus. Also, in my menu, there are options for Screen and Auto Adjustment that are grayed out and I can not access them. I just don't feel good about this purchase, and feel like I was misled about this set because it doesn't live up to the hype I have heard about it.

Collapse -
For errors like this.

In reply to: Re; For errors like that

You make that call to 1800SAMSUNG in USA and if other country, call there.

The manual for download did not have the error from what I could tell. But why put off that call?

Or why keep it if you don't like the set?
Bob

Collapse -
60Hz vs 120Hz

In reply to: For errors like this.

60 Hz is the standard broadcast signal for the US. Your TV has an internal processor that up-converts the 60 HZ signal to 120. The up-copnversion is an internal process, therefore you will not see 120 Hz on any display.

Collapse -
It isn't a misprint

In reply to: Re; For errors like that

when it states native resolution the manual is talking about using the tv as a computer monitor and these are the settings you need to have in the computer resolution settings for it to display the pc's picture. 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz.

Auto adjustment is greyed out because auto adjustment is only available when using a pc source with a d-sub cable I believe. That's what the manual says anyway.

Collapse -
Maybe it is.

In reply to: It isn't a misprint

I didn't read the same words as stated by Bomboza in the online manual. Something is a miss but I can't tell where. We have seen folk complain about the onscreen 60Hz for years now on 120, 240 Hz panels.
Bob

Collapse -
reply to: Maybe it is.

In reply to: Maybe it is.

If you go here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/UN46C6500VRXZP and look at the manual for the UN46C6500VR, and look in the back at the specifications, you will see what I am talking about where it states Panel Native: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. I know that for the larger screen TV's viewable distance has a lot to do with how well you perceive the image being displayed and keeping that in mind, and since this set is in my bedroom, I view this TV at a closer distance than my other sets. However I still feel the image could be a lot cleaner in fast moving scenes. When I purchased this set, I was getting ready to move so It was almost 2 months before I actually used this set. I am more used to the other set that I watch the most being a lot cleaner in fast moving scenes. I think I am also thinking that when I purchased this set, I got a really great deal on it. the Retail price was around $2100 and I saw it on sale for around $1500 or so, but stumbled on to an add that had it for $1000 at Best Buy. Thinking it was a misprint, I went to the store to purchase one. I thought they were going to tell me that someone screwed up and printed to incorrect price. But no, I purchased the set and a 2 year service contract for $1230 out the door along with a wireless dongle. Then within a day or 2 the sale price was up to $1500 again. So, can you see where I am coming from? Did I get a good deal, or did I get tricked into buying something that isn't what it should be? Don't get me wrong, the TV has a great picture, and I am happy with it so far, but I saw the spec's in the back of my manual and it made me have suspicions about what I purchased.

Collapse -
See that FXZA vs. your RXZP?

In reply to: reply to: Maybe it is.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help and advice

In reply to: See that FXZA vs. your RXZP?

Well, I didn't mean to keep this dragged out, but I had a gut feeling and wondered if anyone had the same issue. I am planning to make the call as soon as the Holiday is over. I am in the USA. Is it possible they put the wrong set in the wrong box? Is there anywhere on the set I can check that will tell exactly what it is? Maybe in a hidden menu or something? I am getting ready to take it down off the wall to check the label on the back to make sure it matches what is on the box. I am afraid that if I find out that it is a 60Hz set and not the 120Hz it says on the box, and what I was supposed to buy, I won't be able to do anything about it since I was moving after I purchased the set and it was so long since I was able to actually use it. But I did get the service contract, and it worse comes to worse I can always contact my CC co. about it.

Collapse -
It's fine.

In reply to: Thanks for your help and advice

Just that it took quite a few posts to get the exact model number. I know that members are distracted by the problems and you see longish discussions when the part number and other things are not found.

If I were you I'd reply to your top post with added detail (exact model number, country and transaction number from your call to Samsung in your country.)
Bob

Collapse -
reply to: It's fine

In reply to: It's fine.

UN46C6500VFXZA is the exact model number off the box, but I am going to take it off the wall and check the label on the back of the TV just to make sure they didn't put a 60Hz VR model in the wrong box. I plan on calling Samsung this evening after work here in the USA. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
reply to: It isn't a misprint

In reply to: It isn't a misprint

That made sense to me to state it like that, but should be listed somewhere else like under PC Input specs or something. Also for the grayed out menu options for the screen and adjustment, after I went back and reread about them, I realized that I had overlooked, or skipped over the heading Hooking up your TV with your PC.

Collapse -
reply to: It isn't a misprint

In reply to: reply to: It isn't a misprint

Bomboza,

Collapse -
Reply to Samsung HD Tech

In reply to: reply to: It isn't a misprint

I think that everyone misunderstands me on why I think it is a 60Hz panel. I know about the info button bring up a screen that gives the incoming signal information. I am talking about how the TV displays fast moving scenes. Not to mention in the specification section of my manual the first thing is says is Panel Native: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. The only manual that I could find in the download section that stated the resolution like that, was for the VR units and it said the same thing. And also after reading the spec sheets for the VR it makes you think it is a 60Hz panel. But what made me think this was a 60Hz panel more than anything is the way the images on the screen are being displayed as compared to the other HD 120Hz LED TV's I have in my home. The UN46C6500 doesn't have a smooth image as my other sets in fast moving scenes. For example watching a baseball game, when a player throws a ball, it looks more like a streak than a ball. And in other scenes the image is blurred in fast scenes no matter what I have Auto Motion Plus set to. And on my other HD LED TV's I don't have to play with settings to get a crisp image in fast motion.

Collapse -
Reply to Samsung HD Tech

In reply to: Reply to Samsung HD Tech

Bomboza,

Collapse -
reply to: Reply to Samsung HD Tech

In reply to: Reply to Samsung HD Tech

Basically I am trying to figure out why my TV is showing blurry scenes in fast motion scenes. When I consulted my manual and was looking through it, I noticed that the specifications listed the resolution as Panel Native 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. What does that mean?

I compared the 46" Samsung with my 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron, side by side. Same station, same cable connection (separate cable boxes), watching the exact same programs and noticed a distinct difference while viewing fast moving scenes. I didn't have to make many adjustments to my Sharp to get a great picture. Don't get me wrong, my Samsung has a great picture. The thing is, like I stated in my earlier posts, I purchased this set back in April, but was in process of moving and was not able to use it for about 2 months, so it stayed in the box until June when I finally got to where I could use it and noticed a difference in the picture in fast motion scenes. I haven't fully explored all the settings, but I am working on it. I may have been overly critical because of the length of time that passed since I purchased it and when I got to use it. I had that "stuck" feeling, and wanted to make certain I got what the right set. Seeing the specifications stating the resolution as being 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz for a 120Hz set didn't make me feel any better. I am just searching for peace of mind. I will continue playing with the settings to see what works best. If you have any settings that you know works better, please pass them on.

Collapse -
reply to: Reply to Samsung HD Tech

In reply to: reply to: Reply to Samsung HD Tech

Bomboza,

Collapse -
Peace of mind

I think that is on page 58 of the manual that I have. It is at the very top of the specifications list in the back of the manual. Where the online manuals have Resolution: 1920 x 1080, my manual says Panel Native 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. If you look at the manual for the UN46C6500VR, it says the same thing. And when you look at the specs for the VR model it states that Auto Motion Plus is available.
When I get home from work I will post the manual page number for you. My email is bomboza@cableone.net, so if you want to send me an email I can send you a scan of that page. Seeing that listed in the manual that was is what started making me feel the way I do. I really appreciate you help with this.

Collapse -
Manual information

I was right. The specifications listed on page 58 in manual BN68-02711D-00 is where it displays this information.

Collapse -
Answer
Just to repeat for the Ambassador.

In reply to: Samsung un46c6500 led tv sold as 120 hz but

Add the link to the online copy of said manual.

Collapse -

In reply to: Just to repeat for the Ambassador.

Collapse -

In reply to: Add the link to the online copy of said manual.

Bomboza,

Collapse -
I've escalated it.

In reply to: Add the link to the online copy of said manual.

Ok, thanks. Please keep me updated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.