HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Samsung UN40C6300 - Calibration Setting

I recently bought a Samsung UN40C6300 for my bedroom. The first thing I did, as always, was check with this website for their calibrations suggestions. Surprisingly, I couldnt find any, but was curious if you could make any suggestions as to the best settings with which to calibrate my new tv? Please help - this site is fantastic!

Thanks,
Michael

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN40C6300 - Calibration Setting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN40C6300 - Calibration Setting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DIY settings

In reply to: Samsung UN40C6300 - Calibration Setting

The following is my settings based on cnet's UN46C6500 and LN46C630 settings and my own tweaking (using expert pattern 2, and R, G, B only mode on the TV... You only need to change Backlight (5 to 9), Brightness (45 to 51), Color (just a little bit, from 48 up to 51). When tuning the brightness, turn on Expert Patter 1. Please comment, if you like it or not:

Picture:
? Mode: Movie
? Backlight: 7
? Contrast: 94
? Brightness: 50
? Sharpness: 0
? Color: 50
? Tint: G50/R50

Eco Solution:
? Energy Saving: off
? Eco Sensor: off
? No Signal Power Off: off

Advanced Settings:
? Black Tone: off
? Dynamic contrast: off
? Shadow Detail +2
? Gamma: +2
? Expert Pattern: off
? RGB Only Mode: off
? Color Space: Custom (see below)
? White Balance: (see below)
? 10p White Balance: on (see below for settings)
? Flesh Tone: 0
? Edge Enhancement: off
? xvYCC: off (for AVCHD devices, turn it on)
? LED Motion Plus: off

Color Space: Custom (in RGB order)
? Red: 56, 6, 0
? Green: 21, 54, 0
? Blue: 7, 5, 84
? Yellow: 50, 50, 0
? Cyan: 0, 50, 50
? Magenta: 50, 0, 50

White Balance Settings:
? R-Offset: 25?
? G-Offset: 23?
? B-Offset: 25?
? R-Gain: 25?
? G-Gain: 25?
? B-Gain: 19

10p White Balance Sub-Menu:
? 1: Red 0, Green 1, Blue 0
? 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
? 3: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
? 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
? 5: Red 0, Green -1, Blue 0
? 6: Red 1, Green 0, Blue 0
? 7: Red 0, Green -1, Blue -1
? 8: Red 0, Green -2, Blue 0
? 9: Red 0, Green -3, Blue -1
? 10: Red 2, Green -1, Blue 0

Picture Options:
? Color Tone: Warm2
? Size: Screen Fit
? Digital Noise Filter: Auto (or off)
? MPEG Noise Filter: Auto (or off)
? Auto Motion Plus: Custom (Blur Reduction: 10, Judder Reduction: 0)
? Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

Collapse -
Samsung UN40C6300 - Calibration Setting

In reply to: DIY settings

this is perfect - thank you very, very much. have you been calibrating for a while, or consider yourself more of a videophile who really knows his stuff??!

Collapse -
re:

actually, i do have a question - i might not be following you correctly, but you list your settings as one thing, but in your description above, you describe your backlight (9), brightness (51) and color (51) as slightly different. do you suggest i follow the listed settings below your description or change them according to what you had written above? ...hopefully what i typed makes sense. and thanks again!

Collapse -
Nice to hear!

In reply to: re:

Glad to hear that you like it. I am not a prof calibrator. I use calibration disks to help me to do calibrate and settings on this site.

What I meant was: when you want to adjust Backlight, Brightness, you can use the Expert Pattern 1. After turning on Expert Pattern 1, use "back" to go back to tune back light, brightness, you will see on the screen, some pattern is going to appear, if you turn the brightness up. However, you do not want to over do it, otherwise black will become gray, and so on... For tuning the color, you need to use Expert pattern 1 and RGB mode in combination. When you turn on Pattern 2 and Red mode, e.g., you should see on the top the background is red, and few red boxes. The point is: change the color setting in Picture category so that you do not want to see any shadow between the boxes. (yes, you are right, to change one setting, you need to tweak somewhere else also! Especially the backlight!) If you want to change settings, you can post here about your target setting, and I will help u to tune other settings.)

I think I already tune all the settings to almost ideal settings, you only need to change the Picture settings (a little bit) to fit your room condition. (In my suggested range, I do not think you need to touch other settings than "Pictures").

Collapse -
Fine tune...

Hi tools999: recently I tried to recalibrate 40C6300 again after about 3 months of use, and I find you may like to try the following also:

Picture:
? Mode: Movie
? Backlight: 5
? Contrast: 93
? Brightness: 47
? Sharpness: 5
? Color: 48
? Tint: G50/R50

All other settings are not changed. This setting allow you to tune in the picture quality you like by adjusting Backlight from 5 to 7 without changing any other settings. Please give me some feedback after trying these settings. Also, I suggest that you should add a APC Battery Backup (yes, the ones that computer uses. I am using APC 350VA, 200W unit) to ensure during power outage, you TV still van go thru proper shut down procedure. Some part of the TV needs to be cooled properly, but during power outage, things are all shutdown at once, which will probably hurt your TV.

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: Fine tune...

these setting are terrific. thank you so much for all your help - i've messed around with all these settings for a few weeks and i like the first settings you suggested the best. amazing. thanks so much once again!

Collapse -
Reason for the small changes

Hi tools999: hope u still like my setting on this TV, I like this TV very much!

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: Reason for the small changes

helpful once again - thank you!

Collapse -
10p White Balance Sub-Menu

Hi there,

Collapse -
Usually not touched.

In reply to: 10p White Balance Sub-Menu

Collapse -
10p White Balance Sub-Menu

In reply to: 10p White Balance Sub-Menu

to SirPhil007: Every interval you select will allow you to input the settings. I got stuck too then noticed the settings don't change as I moved intervals.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.