Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung UED8005 and problem with external harddrive

by Figarojr / May 12, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

I have recently bought a new Samsung 3D TV with the model number UE46D8005

From start have I had problem with the TV regarding to be able to record from the TV to an external hard drive. Over the 4 months I had the TV have I lost all my recording 4 time. The flow is that you connect the hard drive to the TV, format , test and everything is ready. Then you record and the it looks fine for some time, and the TV informs me that it can't find the hard drive and at the same time asks me if I want to format the same drive. This had happen to me 4 time, so in principle once a month and I lose all my recordings every time.

I have been in contact with the support here in Sweden several time and they had come with some wild guesses , but no real analyses and conclusions have been made. One I even had a repairman out to change the motherboard of the TV, but the problems always returns. The repairman even checked my hard drive and concluded there where nothing wrong with it. So my conclusion is that I am not able to record to and external hard drive as samsung state in thier marketing. I also after this happened checked out the internet and saw to my surprise that this is a common problem and that Samsung have not done anything to solve the problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UED8005 and problem with external harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UED8005 and problem with external harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is a common problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 8:28 AM PDT

And you are right. They can't tackle it because it's not a complete system. That is, they allowed folk to bring their own hard drives, cables and more.

Any engineer that has been around long would stand back and watch for the troubles. I wonder if you saw this coming?
Bob

Collapse -
problem with ued8500 and extrrnal harddrive
by Figarojr / May 12, 2012 3:58 PM PDT

Yes, but I belive they could solve the problem easily if they focused on it. The people in Korea at samsung headquarter could test a few harddrive and recommend those, they could give people the possibillity to take backup so if the problem occur then i could use the backup. They could also review and conclude whhy tje problem occur meaning why is the discount happening and that rhe tv suddenly does not reconise tje external harddrive. They could develop a system they could call and harddrive samsung box that would eork and makes it a closed system as you say it and they could do it in the cooperation with seagate . So in summary samsung could do a lot to solve this as its not just on my model but its the same on all samsung tv models and has been there for years. But it looks like that no one from samsung care,even as this is a vital part of the tv experiance. Anyone from samsung who would like to help?

Collapse -
I don't think they can solve it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 12:52 AM PDT

There are many thousand models of USB HDD out there so it would never end if they tried to get each one working. So there are quite a few other drives that do work so what to do?

If you keep tuned to this and similar stories such as CODEC support, multiple subtitle support and more you will get the message. I will try my best to get that message across without upsetting folk.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem with UED 8500 and connecting to external harddrive
by Figarojr / May 13, 2012 3:03 AM PDT

Hi, Thanks for your reply. My point is that why dont make a few work and recommend those and if I want to be sure then i could buy this harddrives instead of not buying a tv from samsung or as I am an disapointed customer that would not have bought a samsung tv if i know what I know today. I think the real story is that Samsung people in Korea are well aware of the problem, but they dont want to come with a solution because that would means that they have to admit that there are something wrong with the TV. I can not see why it should be a problem to test a few harddrives from Seagate that is a partner to Samsung and send out a recommendation to people like me to buy one of those if I dont wanted to continue having the problem. I have been a Sony consumer for many years and just recently with this TV changed to Samsung. I have been following the discussion over the last couple of months and I have understood that there are many consumers out there with the same problem as I have without getting a resolution.

Collapse -
More than a few work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. I see you have the old disappearing content issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

Since this drive is most likely used on PCs and more, it's far beyond the control of Samsung at this point.

The recurring advice is to backup what you can't lose, format it when it fails and re-load it.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem with UED 8500 and connecting to external harddrive
by Figarojr / May 13, 2012 8:14 AM PDT

Hi, No this harddrive have only been used at the tv, not on a PC at all. there is no other content then what I recorded from the TV. I have not found a way to backup content recordered by the tv. How is that done?

Collapse -
Your post in that other discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 8:41 AM PDT

Is why I thought you used it like the others.

Since this is not a single source solution, this can't be a controlled environment but you will find folk that will want it to be fixed. It's a good case for going back to DVRs and in fact, a good reason to remove this feature.

It may be why they didn't roll it out in the USA. More folk might litigate.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Be sure to check out this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?