Samsung forum

Question

Samsung UE40J6300A/BT Hub 5 & Infinity/Skype Issue

My father has a Samsung Smart TV UE40J6300A connected to a BT Hub 5 over Infinity. I've been unable to get Skype to work with this combination.
Skype does work via the same Hub 5/Infinity from both a laptop and an IPad. Skype also works from the same Samsung TV when I connect to the Internet through a different network (via my mobile). Does anyone know if there are any incompatibilities between Samsung Smart TVs and the Hub 5/Infinity please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UE40J6300A/BT Hub 5 & Infinity/Skype Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UE40J6300A/BT Hub 5 & Infinity/Skype Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Well, by second hand info, yes.

In reply to: Samsung UE40J6300A/BT Hub 5 & Infinity/Skype Issue

I can't fix this for you. But I want you to check and try something.

1. The TV firmware shall be Samsung's latest. I must defer to Samsung on that. Call them to check it out. Ask about Skype too.
2. In the TV change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and be sure the date and time are correct in the TV and the router. Try again.

Remember Skype is a Microsoft app now. We all know...

Collapse -
Results of tests

In reply to: Well, by second hand info, yes.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

I checked the software versions with Samsung previously and they were all up to date.
I also asked them about Skype. However, because I was able to use Skype from the Samsung TV through my mobile to a hotspot, they say the TV and Skype app must be ok.
My father has a BT Home Hub 5. Unfortunately, BT have blocked the ability for the user to manually change the DNS settings on the HH5.
I did try changing the settings on the TV to Google Public 8.8.8.8 but it didn't cure the problem.

Thanks again for your help. Any more ideas please?

Collapse -
Sadly have to agree with Sam on this one.

In reply to: Results of tests

Collapse -
Thanks for your help

In reply to: Sadly have to agree with Sam on this one.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had more or less arrived at the same conclusion but as Skype works over the same HH5 from the laptop and iPad I just wasn't sure. I tried the BT forums first and had some good suggestions. Unfortunately none of them solved the problem hence my postings here.

I may have just to consider buying a different router that will a) allow me to change the DNS settings and b) work with BT Infinity.

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
To me it's the ISP and not the DNS.

In reply to: Thanks for your help

Since we can set the DNS in the TV it's not that. Skype on the TV is not the same as the iPad and such. It's a different build and more. Sure, try some modem/router but the signs are it's not the modem/router. It could be, but the signs are it's the ISP.

-> I didn't mention firewalls. Many newer routers have a firewall which I disable for long reasons I don't duplicate. The old routers had a natural firewall, so this new one seems to create issues like this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.