General discussion

Samsung UE37C6600 LED TV sound question

Hello,

I have purchased the above TV along with a Q-Acoustics QTV2 speaker 'system'.

Both the TV and the speaker have digital optical audio jacks, but when connected, I get no sound.

If I use a normal 3.5mm lead from the TV's headphone socket to the 'TV in' on the speakers, I do get sound (very poor).

I've been told I need to enable the TV's digital optical out jack in the menus but can't find this option.

I guess the main question is - will the audio optical cable only send DIGITAL sound to the speakers? I only have SKY+ connected to the TV which I assume is analogue? Maybe when connected via headphone socket, it works as the sound is analogue, but won't pass through the optical audio cable?? Perhaps with Sky HD connected, the audio optical will work??

Any help greatly appreciated - this is the first time I've ever had an appliance with Optical audio so I know nothing about it.

Simon

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung UE37C6600 LED TV sound question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung UE37C6600 LED TV sound question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Samsung UE37C6600 LED TV sound question

ducatigone,

Are the speakers powered? Are they connected to any kind of amplifier, or are they just 3.5mm passive speakers?

In some cases, enabling the "External Speaker" mode from the menu can help, and can be done from the Audio menu.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Hello,

Yes, it is a powered speaker unit with optical audio in as well. It works with 3.5mm jack analogue cable from tv to speaker unit, but not with the optical audio.

AFter speaking to the manufacturer today, they seem to think I need to 'enable' the optical audio output on the tv, but this output already has a red light glowing inside so I assume its active. There is nothing in the tv menu to enable it anyway.

After carrying out every test possible, it seems the new QTV2 speaker unit is faulty from new - supplier will exchange this week!

Thanks,

Simon

CNET Forums

Forum Info