General discussion

Samsung TV won't turn on first time

Our Samsung HD TV (780p 40 inches) is three years olds--our three year extended warranty just expired.

Lately, it does not turn on the first time. At first, the picture would come on without sound. After turning it off once, it would come on with sound, working normally. Now, nothing comes on the first few times (up to five). It clicks, like it wants to come on, but the beep that signifies it's coming on doesn't happen and neither the sound nor picture comes on. The best I can relate it to is a faulty car starter--just a click, but no power.

I'm getting worried, as the problem keeps getting progressively worse. Thankfully, the TV is still coming on eventually. I am just dreading the day it doesn't come on at all. Any idea what might be happening or what the source of the problem might be?

It's rather frustrating. I know the TV is three years old, but considering how much we paid for the television, I expected it to last much longer than three years. I'm hoping it's a simple and inexpensive fix. Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung TV won't turn on first time
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung TV won't turn on first time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

hdethloff,

Some people are explaining their situation to the Samsung customer service center at 800-SAMSUNG and posting that they are getting some favorable responses. I'm not a member of service, and I can't speak for any sort of approval, but I'd recommend checking to see if you can explain the situation and ask for assistance.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Will Samsung customer service still help me, even though my TV is three years old? There is no longer a warranty. Will they still help me trouble shoot?

- Collapse -
No one here can answer that!

The reason why is explained above. BUT the BAD CAPS issue (see google) is well known and you can research that before you call.
Bob

- Collapse -
They couldn't help

So, Samsung's customer service informed me since my TV is not under warranty, they could only send out a repair person. I will be responsible for the service call fee and the parts/labor.

Looking around at other local options. Best Buy Geek Squad charges $150 just to come out, and then parts/labor. Not sure about independent repair companies.

How frustrating! After spending $2000 on a TV (the going rate back then), I thought it would last longer. What a disappointment.

- Collapse -
Wish we had a transcipt.

Others here have had better luck. But they were well armed, knowing about the BAD CAPS story and more. If you only presented the purchase date and that it won't come on or click it's almost assured the reply would be "it's out of warranty."

The repair runs a wide range of dollars. Let's read where it's not so bad at:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=74902

It's only 20 posts but most of what's known is there.
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. READ A SUCCESS STORY at LINK!
- Collapse -
I tried...

I mentioned the bad caps and that others were met with solutions besides a service call at their expense. However, they said that my TV was not one of the models affected by that problem.

So, looks like I'm stuck? I appreciate your help, however.

- Collapse -
For now yes.

But if you keep researching this, many fix it themselves for 20 or so bucks.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info