Samsung forum

Question

Samsung TV turning off then on randomly

by Minoris / February 21, 2015 5:44 AM PST

Good day everyone,

Yes, I know, another thread about this. But I'm at a loss here...

So recently, about a week ago, my tv started randomly turning off and then on by itself, the whole process taking about 10 seconds top. After a while though, things get normal again. Meaning that after a few hours of being on, it will stay on and will stop turning off and on again by itself.

Now I've googled and looked around this very forum (and several others) but couldn't find a solution to my problem at all.

- The capacitors are all okay
- Leaving it unplugged for 24h didn't do it
- Used several HDMI cables to no avail
- Using several products didn't do it either: wheter it's watching tv, using a console or watching a movie on a computer plugged on the tv through hdmi cables, the tv will switch off and on by itself
- I tried unplugging the control buttons directly on the tv but doing so also turns off the remote control sensor so there was no way to turn the tv on at all
- I cleaned the male pins of the cables I had access to inside the tv but it didn't change anything either

I guess the next step is changing the whole motherboard? Or am I missing something? Oh and the warranty is off by now, I've had this tv for a bit more than 2 years now.

TV is a Samsung 46" LED SMART TV
MFD: October 2012
Model: UN46EH5300fxzc
Version: TH02
S/N: Z5AY3CVCA00642N

In advance, thanks a lot anyone and everyone for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV turning off then on randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV turning off then on randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
CALL SAMSUNG CA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 5:50 AM PST
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/UN46EH5300FXZC spies a firmware update in late 2014. There was a bug that certain channels would cause an oddity like this. I am NOT TELLING YOU TO UPDATE. I'm writing to have you call Samsung Canada and see if they want you to do this.
Bob
Collapse -
They were of very little help, actually
by Minoris / February 25, 2015 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: CALL SAMSUNG CA.

Thanks Bob for taking the time to try and help.

I called the Samsung help line and... either I'm out of luck or they have the worst customer service I've seen in a while. The lady I spoke with dismissed anything I had to say and didn't give a damn about what I read online or tried to do, had me unplug the TV for 30 seconds (even though I had tried several times already, I did it with her on the phone anyways) and plug it back in. When I told her it wasn't working, she wanted to transfer me to some tech support that I'd have to pay for because the one-year warranty is off.

I'll try and call them again, see if I can stumble on someone willing to be more helpful than that, but so far Samsung is pretty much heading the "never again" route for me if things keep on going this way.

Collapse -
Odd. So they dismissed what was at the Samsung site?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2015 11:11 PM PST

That's a shame. The channel bug is known yet you may encounter folk in companies that are "that way" about bugs. You know they're that way when they say "You're the first to report this."

Anyhow I'd try again on another day and hope for more help. My suspect is that firmware but I can't tell you to update. Let Samsung guide you on which update and how.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?