Resolved Question

Samsung TV Sleep timer shortcut?

Am I the only person who is astonished that the best name in TVs makes you go through the TV menu in a FIFTEEN step process to set the sleep timer and exit? When you are tired and almost asleep, this is a lot to ask - and BAD user experience!!!!

We have two Samsung TVs a smart 46in Series 6 and a 32 in series 5. They both have the same model remote (AA59-00786A) which unlike EVERY TV remote I have had before in years, has no SLEEP button, which you can normally feel for and press 2 or 3 times with your eyes closed to set! I now have to wake right up to go to sleep!!!

Is there another remote you can use with these TVs that has a sleep button??

WAKE UP SAMSUNG! This is a bad blunder!!!

Discussion is locked
nfrank999 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Samsung TV Sleep timer shortcut?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung TV Sleep timer shortcut?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Year and Model

I'm pretty sue you don't need 15 steps. Tools button, tab down to sleep, pick amount of time, press return button.

- Collapse -
Thanks you're right - but it's still 8 button presses...

Eight's a lot better than 15. Thanks for your quick reply to my first post on this forum. It clearly works!

I realize that I had never used the Tools button. Even when you look up Sleep timer on the e-menu, it directs you to the Menu button, rather than Tools. But even that process is unnecessarily cumbersome when you are wanting to go to sleep - and for those of us with imperfect eyesight, it requires the use of glasses, while a SLEEP button you can feel for with your eyes closed.

But hey, the Tools button and its other functions is a great discovery. Cheers!

- Collapse -
Answer
Must have a comedian in the programmer's group?

Anyhow, some folk go get a Logitech Harmony to automate such things. But you're right. Quite the comedian in the software group.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
There's a shortcut

If yours is like mine, where you normally have to go to menu, then to system, time, sleep timer, etc.

There's a shortcut you can do by pressing the tools menu on the remote. Sleep time should be the fourth one down. That's if you have it on your remote.

Hope it helps!

- Collapse -
Answer
Horrible oversight?

I am flabbergasted over this bad decision. Simple.press press and go to sleep. No glasses required. No thought required. Simple.

- Collapse -
Answer
alternate remote

You can buy a used remote such as BN59-01041A on ebay. It came with my old samsung but works on the smart tv as well .

- Collapse -
Answer
Automatic Power Off

I just bought the 40" J6300 and I was also dismayed to find out what a process it was to set the sleep timer. However, I did find the automatic power off feature, which will help me a lot because I basically go to sleep at the same time every night. For my TV, it's in the same area - Menu, Settings, Time. The difference is that instead of the sleep timer, you choose the power off option, and then you can set it to turn off every night at the same time.

CNET Forums