Samsung forum

Question

Samsung tv, samsung dvd recorder, digibox & sky box

by birtles / October 22, 2014 8:38 AM PDT

I have a sky+ hd box, a samsung dvd recorder BD-HDD combo, a samsung tv UE40h6700st and a technomate tm-7102hd.The technomate is linked to a hotbird dish & the sky+ box to astra
I have linked all 3 with hdmi cables to the tv and all work ok. What I want to do is take what's recorded off the 2 boxes onto the hdd on the dvd recorder. There's no scart on the recorder just an ant in, ant out, a lan & 2 usbs. Has anyone any suggestions please - info on sky suggests scart to scart but there isn't 1........thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung tv, samsung dvd recorder, digibox & sky box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung tv, samsung dvd recorder, digibox & sky box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Here that won't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 8:42 AM PDT

No consumer product here allows recording from HDMI sources. Maybe that's your issue too.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry forgot to add
by birtles / October 22, 2014 5:28 PM PDT

that the dvd recorder has an hdmi of course

I really would appreciate some advice - thanks

Collapse -
Sorry but I can't find the model number of the dvd recorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry forgot to add

But if it's like all the others, no HD or HDMI recording.
Bob

Collapse -
So it's like my HDD recorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Model no

Another model but it only records from certain sources. You wrote "I have linked all 3 with hdmi cables to the tv and all work ok." so there it is. No HDMI recording. You notice it has antenna and freeview is essentially so well discussed that you would have to get well, all this is to get around all the blocks in place to stop you recording HD.

So as it stands, it seems to be working as designed and stopping you in your tracks.

If you want to research HDMI RECORDING, try those 2 words on a search.
Bob

Collapse -
HDMI is not really the priority
by birtles / October 23, 2014 12:28 AM PDT

Any quality recording would be better than none......

Collapse -
Since the boxes I see only output HDMI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 12:32 AM PDT

I'm unsure of exact models but it looks like HDMI RECORDERS are what you really wanted. By now you know the industry does not want consumers to have such things.
Bob

Collapse -
I can think of a rude word!
by birtles / October 23, 2014 1:16 AM PDT

I bought this box without a 2nd thought as it was the same brand as the tv - and both support wireless internet - I even naively thought they'd link in together and maybe the tv would be able to wireless access the recorder - how stupid can you get.......does anyone have any experience of dazzle type equipment that maybe I could use instead?? .................

Collapse -
Before you look at Dazzle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 1:24 AM PDT

We need to sort out what signals we have to record. That is, the Sky box I know of is HDMI only so your run of the mill Dazzle is dead. Even the only PC card under 100 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQE1O0/ only did 1080i. 1080p HDMI capture is a minefield so at least I've put that out there.
Bob

Collapse -
How about an hdmi splitter?
by birtles / October 23, 2014 2:14 AM PDT

I've only got a laptop now so no room for a card....

How about something like this that I could put behind the sky+hd box & run 1 line to the tv and the other to the recorder???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Splitter-Input-Output-1080p/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

and

http://hdmi-switcher-review.toptenreviews.com/

In all honesty tho I'd prefer it - the hd quality is not 100% essential - it's to record/transfer from the Technomate hd box (hotbird) to the recorder as well as the sky+ (astra) box -

Collapse -
How will that help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 2:47 AM PDT

That just adds HDMI switches and such and no HDMI recording in sight.

Let's take it from the top. I'd post in the CNET Home Audio forum at
http://forums.cnet.com/home-audio-and-video-forum/
And tell exactly which Skybox you have and what you want to do.

Bear in mind that HD recording is explicitly locked down and done so on purpose. If it wasn't you would have folk recording everything and sharing movies they rented with abandon.
Bob

Collapse -
Will do - thanks
by birtles / October 23, 2014 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: How will that help?

If I replay a recorded sky+ prog on the tv and the same signal is split behind the sky+ box to the recorder which I set to record it should record?? As you can see I am a 100% newby at this type of thing - I can see your point about copying etc but BBC put educational progs on for schools at 0200 am etc and it's those I want - I can't take a sky box to classes.........what a pallava!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?