Samsung forum

Question

Samsung TV remote won't control Samsung Blu-ray

by MadDogMikeATL / March 27, 2015 4:31 AM PDT

I have a Samsung UN65H7150 TV and a Samsung BD-H5900 Blu-ray player. I went through the "Universal Remote Setup" to have the TV remote control the Blu-ray player, but it doesn't work.

Since they are both Samsung products, I have Anynet+ turned on. This allows the Blu-ray player remote to control the TV just fine, but the TV remote still won't control the Blu-ray player.

Now, using the Tools menu on the TV, I can bring up the BD player menu, but I can't actually control or select anything within that menu. What good is that? I can't even control basics like play, pause, stop, FF or rewind. Did I miss something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV remote won't control Samsung Blu-ray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV remote won't control Samsung Blu-ray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Tv...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 27, 2015 6:10 AM PDT

I'm sorry to hear this! Is the firmware completely up to date on your television & Blu-ray? Also do you have the blu-ray connected directly into the television and not a HTS?

Regards,

HD Tech

Collapse -
Yes
by MadDogMikeATL / March 27, 2015 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Samsung Tv...

Yes, firmware up-to-date on both TV and Blu-ray player, and Blu-ray is connected directly to TV via HDMI.

Collapse -
Answer
Is this on HDMI 2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 7:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
No
by MadDogMikeATL / March 27, 2015 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this on HDMI 2?

HDMI2 is the only one capable of HDMI-ARC, so it's used to connect the TV to the soundbar.

Collapse -
No as in you are not on HDMI 2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No

So controls over Anynet look blocked. I only see one port with this control so my first thought is to use anynet for the control and an optical link for the soundbar.

Samsung should help you rewire this up.
Bob

Collapse -
Where do you see that?
by MadDogMikeATL / March 27, 2015 8:43 AM PDT

I don't see anything in the manual that states only one port has Anynet+ control. (Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?)

The Anynet+ on-screen menu shows that it IS connected to the BD player. Via Anynet+ I can access the BD player tools, BD player menu and disc title menu with the TV remote, so it appears Anynet+ connection is established. I just can't select anything within those menus or control basic playing functions.

Also, to me, having seamless control of the soundbar is more important than controlling the BD-player with the TV remote, so I don't think I want to rewire. As it's connected now the soundbar power on/off and volume are controlled automatically with the TV remote.

Collapse -
Only found one reference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Where do you see that?

Sorry but I'll let Samsung answer it again. I read the pages so I'm guessing you are not reading the same thing. Good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!