Samsung forum

Question

Samsung TV Medi@2.0 on LE46C750

by sasha1966 / June 9, 2011 11:43 PM PDT

I have just bought an LE46C750 TV with Medi@2.0. I have seen many posts on various sites related to aspect ratio control when playing video content from USB. I have over 200 DVDs backed up via Handbrake (MKV) with anamorphic settings. They play perfectly ok on a pc but on the Tv the AR is wrong. Do i have to re-encode all my DVDs at a fixed AR by losing some vertical resolution or do Samsung have a fix for this. An official enquiry is still being investigated but i'm not holding my breath.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV Medi@2.0 on LE46C750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV Medi@2.0 on LE46C750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
An official enquiry is still being investigated but i'm not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

"An official enquiry is still being investigated but i'm not holding my breath."

Tell more!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And the answer is simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 2:47 AM PDT

First off, MKV is not an encoding but a container for encoded content.

Second, there are some thousand posts about this so I'll keep it short. What encoding works is a very short list. What we are seeing are consumers that want it to just play whatever we throw at it. Again, keeping it short. Encode in what works. Do not wait for a fix.

And finally many of use are still smarting over the changes from 4x3 to 16x9. Go figure if there was ever a good answer for that!
Bob

Collapse -
Not so
by sasha1966 / June 11, 2011 5:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the response but I did not say anything about containers etc. I am aware that MKV is the container and my DVD are backed up using H264 as the video codec within the MKV container. With regards what works, the Manual and website for my TV model clearly state that MKV and H264 are supported so is it too much to ask that in 2011 that the PAR is detected and the picture "stretched" horizontally accordingly.

I have trialled Handbrake with no anamorphic setting and "Keep Aspect Ratio". This works although the Height setting drops from 422 to 308 but I don't see any discernable difference on the TV. It just means I've got 200 DVDs to back up again.

Collapse -
There's two paths here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Not so

You can continue to tilt against windmills and point to the manual or you can figure out what works.

Sorry but if you write b"acked up via Handbrake (MKV) with anamorphic settings" that's fine and dandy but to get this working we have to sadly start going over details. The manual is sadly underdone and I'll end with this. H264 is all over the map. I have no end of examples of H264 encoding that will not play or H264 players.

Here's my point. You can take it up with the makers or you can figure out what works. My personal view is that consumers are not going to like this (or many others.) They want the PC experience and options to get a better player or more codecs.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?