Question

Samsung TV LN52A650A1FXZA won't turn on, keeps clicking

The TV is approx 3 yrs old. I have a smaller Samsung TV bought at the same time & it went out a couple months ago because of a capacitor. Could this be the problem with this TV as well or does the clicking indicate a different problem?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung TV LN52A650A1FXZA won't turn on, keeps clicking
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung TV LN52A650A1FXZA won't turn on, keeps clicking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Hard to diagnose without seeing it.
- Collapse -
Answer
could be the same trouble

I had the same trouble with my Samsung TV and I replaced 4 faulty capacitors myself with caps purchased at Radio Shack. My wife was visiting a friend in Las Vegas and her tv started to have the same trouble so my wife replaced the capacitors and all is fine. There are lots of sites with fairly good instructions on how to do this repair and Amazon sells the kit with the caps for around 12 bucks you don't have to be an electronics whiz just need the skill to desolder and solder. Identifying the faulty caps was easy they were bulging on top and some were split open on top.

- Collapse -
Could be.

But since Samsung has replaced so many by just asking, why take the chance?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Samsung TV won't turn on...just clicks

I have had this same problem. I researched it on the internet (here) and discovered an apparent, and well documented, design flaw. There are several electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board. They are obviously rated too low (cost considerations?). They are 1000uFd radial lead caps that are rated 10VDC-25VDC. I found 5 that were expanded (swelled up) and I replaced all 5 with 1000uFd 35WVDC radial lead electrolytics (under $2.00 each at Radio Shack). I suppose that the low rating of the originals cannot handle the ever-present transient spikes delivered by our friendly electric companies. As of the time of this post, the TV powers up instantly and works fine. I'm hoping that this helps. This is my girlfriends TV, but it has caused me a ton of grief. It started as an annoyance and developed into a total product failure. I will never purchase a Samsung product. If manufacturing cost considerations trump reliability, then they don't need my money.

- Collapse -
I wish it was a design flaw.

I found 10V caps on the 5V rail and 25V caps on a 12ish Volt rail.

How is that a design flaw?

Have you heard about the BAD CAPS plague?
Bob

- Collapse -
Samsung TV won't turn on...just clicks

call samsung and tell them your sn/mod # there is a one time service call i believe on some models witch they pay for, i had one that was doing the same thing and they came out and replaced the caps for free.

- Collapse -
If they turn you down. Escalate it. How?
- Collapse -
Bad caps?

The possibility of 5 electrolytics failing on the front side of the power supply is probably due to transient spikes. I would assume that design parameters might take this into account as a failsafe to assure the reliability of the product? The idea that bad caps might have been used never crossed my mind. Maybe I should have replaced them all. The TV has been working good since this modification. Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

- Collapse -
How to measure those spikes.

At the office we use an Oscillioscope and can't find such spikes. If you did capture the spikes and document this you would have some nice findings.

But so far, all the bad caps are from the makers that we know produced them.

I'm unsure how much more to write here. There are a few folk that wish it was a (Samsung) design issue but it continues to be the same issue we have covered time and time again.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Samsung will not fix my model LN52A650A1fxzc

Hi,

- Collapse -
(NT) Did you escalate it as noted above?
- Collapse -
found this might help
- Collapse -
Thanx for the advice

Hi all ... I phoned Samsung and they said my model was not covered. I have tried through their facebook support portal so I will see where that takes me.

- Collapse -
Happy Ending

Hi,

- Collapse -
RE: Happy Ending

which Facebook forum? There are a million of 'em and none seem to have anything but positive comments.
when did you post there?
what model do you have?
I ask because someone posted that if you have an LNT model Samsung will not repair it for free.

- Collapse -
This link will get you there.
- Collapse -
RE: Happy Ending

Psallo,

- Collapse -
RE: Happy Ending reply from Mr Samsung Tech

Thanks for the reply. I guess I find it hard to believe (I know not your policy) that Samsung would expect their product to break after just three years of use (I bought Summer of 200Cool and that it has nothing to do with them but it is just wear and tear and not an abnormal and unanticipated breakdown. I paid $1600 for that TV I have never had one that lasted less than ten years minimum. I will see what they say when I call.

- Collapse -
RE: Happy Ending reply from Mr Samsung Tech

Psallo -

- Collapse -
Still problems after Samsung visit

I had the same problem (after 2 years of owning the TV; cost-$2000.). I called Samsung and they came out no problem. The tech replaced 2 capacitors but he didn't think that was the fix because they didn't look bad. Sure enough the TV is turning off again. I used the forum link mentioned above asking for any other suggestions. Didn't get any suggestions, just an email that I consented to the capacitor repair so I'm responsible for any other repair cost.
<span>

<span>I turn off the TV when not watching it and it's not overly used. I'm told the repair will be a minimum of $400. That's quite a repair cost compared to the cost of the TV and it's age(20% of it's value). I can't imagine buying a $20,000 car that's driven to work and back and after 2 years having a repair costing $4,000 and someone <span>saying it isn't the car manufacturer, it's a faulty part in it (in response to R.Proffitt-Bad Caps Plague). If it's out of warranty and Samsung stands by its warranty time frame more than customer service and it's products, so it be. I just read an article on VIZIO on how they have been able to succeed in such a competitive market, selling TV's for less than the big competitors and having superior customer service. I may have an outdate warranty and problem TV, but I still have choices!

- Collapse -
Did you try the SERVICE ISSUES thread yet?

It's at the top of the forum. As to my comments, as I encounter the plague in all makes and too many other things, you begin to wonder how it became so widespread without law makers catching wind.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's 2016 and the TV works!!

I have to update this post of mine from 2011. We still have that tv and it works fine. After changing out different cable boxes, we finally got one and the problem with the tv never happened again. Maybe the tv did have issues at one time (since the Samsung tech did swap out a bad part) but also there were obviously issues with our cable box.

Technology is especially frustrating when you have to depend on more than one piece of equipment for things to work correctly. Like a bad internet connection....is it from the outside cable coming into my house, or the cable in the wall, or the modem, or the wifi? Sigh....

- Collapse -
What has happen?

What happen actually, why your TV work again after 5 years?

- Collapse -
Cable Box may be the problem

We never gave up on it. Sometimes it would work fine and sometime it would have issues. After finally changing out a cable box, we never had issues with it again.

I somehow came across this post again in March 2016 and decided to add a new response because of what happened with the cable boxes .(It wasn't 5 years and then we plugged it in and it magically worked). Sorry if that confused you.

- Collapse -
Answer
Samsung TV

Call Samsung, we let ours sit for months and then we were just about to DIY fix it and Hubby decided to call Samsung and there is a class action law suit on some of their TV's for this reason. They ordered a part, sent a tech and as of today the TV is working again! It NEVER hurts to call!! We did not expect any of this but for now our big screen is working again.

- Collapse -
No Satisfaction

Called Samsung, put through to 'Executive Support'. They acknowledged the problem, said they had an extended warranty settlement that expired in 2014. So even though the TV was built with bad capacitors and that this was acknowledged by Samsung, they have refused to fix my hardly used 5 year old TV. No more Samsung TVs in this house.

- Collapse -
Don't leave out the other makers that used these?

I remember millions of Dells that got hit with this, thousands of other devices too, maybe millions. Mits TVs were showing up with bad caps and it appears all makers got hit with this.

Warranty and extended warranties do end. There are some that want a never end date on such defects but I don't know of any company that did that save one. Tesla has been an exception but as the years roll on, that ride will end too.

- Collapse -
Answer
ln52a550 Samsung TV repair for clicking on and off

if it is not a capacitor problem, take a hair dryer and warm the logic board (the one with the video inputs) and after a minute or two, if the unit turns on and acts normal, you found your problem. I had my board repaired by a guy in florida that I found on ebay. cost only 40.00 plus your shipping. Had good results. Luck.

- Collapse -
Answer
This old post is closing.

It's had a good run so it's time to close it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info