Thanks for taking what must have been a significant portion of time for analysis, experimenting and organizing these ideas. This is really well presented.
USB keyboards probably won't be supported on 2009 models, and I have no idea if moving forward this will be different. Also, some of the suggestions may not be possible via firmware updates, but just so it's said upfront, for 2009 models, the specs are probably not going to change dramatically.
So... in the meantime, I'll be the silent guy in the background, and I'll be happy to actively track this discussion and present the results.
First things first, I think these are great TVs for the price. I took a long time choosing and my model is a LE46B650.
Even though some wishlists have been posted here before, I am taking the time to summarise the different posts plus some similar posts to be found in Germany and the UK.
From having read the discussions for a considerable number of hours I am also marking the wishes I consider to be the most important of the community today. Please correct me or add, maybe we can collect a *reasonable* wishlist together.
It is a TV not a PC, so I don't think stuff like "USB Keyboards" or "edit channel lists on my PC" are really sensible, but I might be wrong.
We can all contact Samsung and e-mail the wishlist with the points we consider the most important. If they fix say 3 issued per upgrade, we will get there eventually.
Enough said, here's the list:
1. Either a Mini-Webbrowser or access to freely chosen Websites or content
2. HD Support for YouTube
3. Support for Samba/SMB Filesystem
4. ** Make it possible to select the audio stream in a multi-language file (like MKV with multiple audio streams in it). **
5. ** Support embedded subtitle files in MKVs **
6. ** DTS in MKVs, if for licensing reasons not decoded, at least just pass it out so that the AVR can deal with it. **
7. Allow screen to be switched off when playing MP3 (not fully of, but maybe the backlighting) to save power
8. ** More scaling options other than "Original" & "Fit", real full screen view, correct anamorphic display, correct display of file apect ratio, s. e.g. what NewAge has done here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/1089846-samsung-b650-owners-thread-part-4-a-12.html#post10580474 **
9. Display the complete menu in the media player (including white balance, colour adjustment, etc.)
10. Pause, fast forward und rewind in DLNA, also start at last scene (might be a DNLA problem, though)
11. Support for Samba/SMB Filesystem in the media player
12. **Passing through of DD 5.1 and DTS from HDMI to TOS (i.e. change the HDMI Handshake) **
13. ** Allow the audio delay to be adjusted for TV and Media Player, not just in the Service Menu, also for passed through audio (s. above). **
14. Automatic display of programme info when switching a channel
15. 120/240Hz control on Tools Menu
16. A symbol in the channel list whether the channel is encoded
17. ** Backup of personal setting in TV memory or USB Stick before Firmware Upgrade or entering the service menu. **
I singled out the most pressing onces with ** **.
Thanks for reading, keep posting.
Thanks to Samsung for reading and helping out.