Question

Samsung TV channel list question

I just set up a Samsung UN46F6400AFXZA and it's working well for me, but I can't figure out a few things with the channel list.

I have nothing connected to the over the air antenna, I just have a Time Warner digital cable STB connected to one of the HDMI inputs. I'm controlling the STB via the IR cable and that's working most of the time.

My STB gets many more channels than I'd like to watch. I have used the "Edit Channel" feature to delete all of the channels I would not like to watch.

When I push and hold the track pad on the remote, I correctly see only my channels on the right side of the screen. This list always starts with the lowest number channel. I wish it started with the channel I was currently viewing, but it does work for me.

But when I try to use the Samsung Guide, I see all of my channels. I can't figure out how to tell the guide to show just the channels from my "Edit Channels" list.

Also, when I go to the TV section of the Smart TV interface, the interface does not limit choices to channels from my "Edit Channels" list. This is painful because my STB receives both old analog and new HDTV versions of some channels. The old analog channel numbers are lower. When the same program is on both analog and digital version of the channel, the Smart TV interface usually picks the analog version of the channel rather than the digital HDTV version.

I think this problem could be solved by having all TV channel interfaces limit their choices to just those on my "Edit Channels" list, but I can't discover how to configure that.

Lastly, it would be great to turn off the red power LED when the TV is off, so that the TV does not show any LEDs when not used.

Any help?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung TV channel list question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung TV channel list question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I share you pain.

"...When I push and hold the track pad on the remote, I correctly see only my channels on the right side of the screen. This list always starts with the lowest number channel. I wish it started with the channel I was currently viewing, but it does work for me."

When I first saw that list of channels I had a face palm moment. I mean, what a royal pain in the butt to have to scroll thru all of those unwatched channels (for me starting at 1 and going up to 500) just to get to the channels that I do like to watch (501 to 600 range). Really, Samsung? You couldn't just start the list at the channel that I am watching???? How does stuff like this ever get past QA? Does Samsung employees not use the TVs that they design and build?

I'm going to try your "Edit Channel" to see if this becomes any less painful. As for the guide...it does the same thing!!! Starts at channel 1. WTH? If I scroll upwards from channel 1, I get to channel 999 (or something like that) so I'm no better going that route since the 500 to 600 range is still a whole lot of swiping up/down away for me. It really sucks.

- Collapse -
Painful with Directv too

I am having the same issues you guys are having. I get all of the Directv Channels when I press Guide (over 1200 channels). I also get just "my channels when I get the guide on the screen.

(Still don't know how to pop that up without going through the main Menu functions)

This is so frustrating but I just want to use the TVs features.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Answer
Question on cable box type

I am trying to track down and resolve some Issues with Time Warner cable boxes and Samsung TVs - What type of Time Warner Cable box do you have? I am having issues with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300hdc box.

- Collapse -
Cisco Explorer 4642HDC

My STB is a Cisco Explorer 4642HDC, in use with Time Warner Austin. It was very slow to channel change at first, especially on switched digital video channels. As an experiment, I changed the orientation of the power cable with respect to the coax cable coming out of the STB and my channel change times got much faster. Having them run parallel to each other was bad, any other orientation I tested was better.

CNET Forums

Forum Info