Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Tech - HT-X710T

by rhb--2008 / January 26, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Hi -
You've been very helpful with my IR problem on my 52A850 - here's another subject...

I have ordered a HT-X710T for our system. I don't really want 5.1 sound, but I want something better than the built in sound. This system will look like it "came with the TV" as well.

I didn't feel like I needed a "real" home theater as with all the HDMI inputs on the TV it seems like it can act as the switch.

I was thinking about waiting for the blu ray version, but I really would want a better player anyway, such as the 2500. So the player in the X710 won't see much use. I got the system for about $260 delivered, so who cares about the player :^)

As I said, I plan to get a 2500/2550 soon. My concerns are remote control issues. I will try the Anynet+ system, and maybe that will resolve all my concerns. If not, then all the devices will need to be handled by my cable remote, which is quite flexible. Can you tell me whether the X710 and the 2500 use different IR codes for the DVD player? This will tell me whether I can use the 2500/2550 easily with my system...

Thanks, Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Tech - HT-X710T
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Tech - HT-X710T
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
X710
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2009 8:51 AM PST

Bob,

I don't believe that either unit will clash with each other. Naturally, our hopes is that you'd outfit your Samsung television with our peripherals, so without knowing for sure this very second, I would imagine that you'd have no problem with one remote enabling the wrong device. I can check further if you'd like.

I do know that you should ideally be able to control both of those units from the TV using the television remote via Anynet+ which is our HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) mechanism. I know some people have posted some frustration with the on/off feature, but I believe the functionality otherwise should give you access to all of your perhiperals from the television.

The 2500/50 can be hooked up relatively easily. I would recommend getting an optical audio cable to run from the 2500/50 to the X710.

The difference between the 2500 and 2550 Blu-Ray players is that the 2550 has Pandora Internet Radio. I don't know what the prices are going for on each othe units, but if it's the same price, you might want to opt for the unit that has that extra feature.

Thanks for your continued support of Samsung products!

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: X710
by rhb--2008 / January 27, 2009 7:59 PM PST
In reply to: X710

"I don't believe that either unit will clash with each other. Naturally, our hopes is that you'd outfit your Samsung television with our peripherals, so without knowing for sure this very second, I would imagine that you'd have no problem with one remote enabling the wrong device. I can check further if you'd like."
If you could verify, I would appreciate it. Not sure if Samsung anticipated someone having two DVD units (X710 and 2500) connected in the same application.

"The 2500/50 can be hooked up relatively easily. I would recommend getting an optical audio cable to run from the 2500/50 to the X710."
I ordered an optical audio cable for the TV out to the X710 in. There is only one optical in on the X710 as I understand it. I anticipate connecting all devices directly to the TV, so all audio (cable, future DVD, Tivo) will be sent to the X710 on that cable, using the TV as the switching device. I think that limits to two channel sound, but that is really what the X710 is anyway. Do you see any problem there?

"The difference between the 2500 and 2550 Blu-Ray players is that the 2550 has Pandora Internet Radio. I don't know what the prices are going for on each of the units, but if it's the same price, you might want to opt for the unit that has that extra feature."
Things being anywhere near equal, I will get the 2550. Problem is that Best Buy is out of stock at most locations (seems like a nation wide problem as I see on various boards). I am in Syracuse, NY and closest location with stock is Buffalo and I would have to verify that is real... tolls alone would add nearly $15 plus gas and a 5-6 hour round trip...

Thanks for the help. Bob

Collapse -
Will Verify
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: RE: X710

Bob,

Thanks for your patience. I was in meetings this week.

I will verify, but the Blu-Ray player does have it's own set of discrete codes from what I understand. I will get a positive confirmation on that Monday.

The optical cable from the TV to your receiver will downgrade the signal to 2.0, yes. The exception would be OTA broadcasts that are transmitted in 5.1 - but HDMI will be 2.0. I don't foresee any negative problem there.

The unit is selling out, and stealing an old tagline, "Don't fret. We'll produce more". I just checked the site you mentioned, and you're right. They're not shipping it to customers, and "Check Store for Availability" is right there on the website as of this evening.

I'll see if I can find out any information on this, and if I can, I'll post it on Monday with the remote information.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Verified
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 2, 2009 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: RE: X710

rhb--2008,

I did some testing this morning and found that only same product type remotes would possibly conflict with each other. (For instance, a Blu-Ray remote for the 2500 would also work with the 2550), however the Home Theater systems remained unaffected with the Blu-Ray remotes and vica versa, which was my expected conclusion.

I can't speak on inventory levels; but I do know that we are continuing to manufacture those units based on the lastest information I have.

I hope that answers your question.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-X710T and 2550
by rhb--2008 / February 2, 2009 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Verified

That does answer my concern, thanks very much! I now have received the HT-X710T (yesterday) and have it installed. The guide link you posted on another thread sometime back allowed me to know I needed an optical cable ahead of time which saved me several days wait time or several dollars by not having to pay $$ locally. Although only 2.1, the sound is about a light year ahead of that in the 850, so that is great. I am still learning the anynet+ system, etc. One initial issue is getting the sound to come on when the TV and cable box are turned on to watch TV without having to get into TV menus to make it happen. This is an area where being able to program my cable remote may help. I think I can automatically issue an IR command to turn the x710 on along with turning the TV and cable box on as well.

Thanks for the info on the 2550. Hopefully some will be available locally soon.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.