Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Soundbar Skips Audio When Streaming Netflix

by LouN57 / September 8, 2013 4:15 PM PDT

I have audio skipping problem (irregular, every minute or so) using my Crystal Surround Air Track soundboard when I am streaming Netflix to the TV and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 sound is selected for the Netflix title.

If I use the TV speakers or select Stereo for the Netflix title I don't have this problem. I also don't seem to have this problem if I am playing a DVD or streaming Netflix from my DVD player. It's just the SmartTV streaming to the soundboard that is causing the problem.

My TV: UN60ES7150
MY Sound Board: HW-E450C (Crystal Surround Air Track)

As far as I know I have the latest software/firmware upgrades.

It sure would be nice to get Dolby Digital Plus using on two remotes. Please let me know if this is a known problem and if there is a workaround.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Soundbar Skips Audio When Streaming Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Soundbar Skips Audio When Streaming Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Soundbar Skips Audio When Streaming Netflix - Addend
by LouN57 / September 9, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that the soundboard is connected to the TV via the optical cable (D.IN).

Collapse -
Link shows 2.1 sound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 3:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: 2.1 Sound
by LouN57 / September 9, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Link shows 2.1 sound.

Hi Bob,

I would expect the 5.1 transmission to work on the 2.1 device (as 2.1) and it seems to except for when the sound is coming through the TV via the the optical cable where it has these annoying short term pauses (< 1 sec) in sound every once in a while. I'm going to experiment some more including using an HDMI cable to the sound board to see if that helps but I didn't want to dedicate a HDMI port to the soundboard. This appears to me to be a problem that should be fixed.

Collapse -
Move fast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: re: 2.1 Sound

I have yet to see such an issue addressed to date. If you don't get your fix in the next few days I strongly advise you to exchange this for a product that works for you.

Collapse -
Sorry that was too terse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Move fast.

For now I've yet to find most 2.1 soundbars to behave well if we send it 5.1 streams. Almost all the makers document that we need to send streams in compatible form or content but the user manual never warned the owner that it may not work. It certain never mentioned 5.1 streams so reading between the lines where it mentions 2.1 and more tells me it's like all the other soundbars and we get to send it what it supports.

-> Can you find any web page or document where it says it supports Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 ?

Collapse -
by dykefish / September 9, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

I tried Netflix stereo setting and no skips. Problem is that HBO Go and Amazon Instant Video don't give options to down sample the audio to stereo on there 5.1 content.

This is with UN40F6300AF Samsung TV. I had a HW-F450 sound bar but then upgraded to the F550 but both soundbars have the streaming skipping issue. Sound bar is loaded with latest firmware and TV also has latest update.

Hopefully an update is being worked on my Samsung. Since I'm stuck with skipping audio on 2 of my 3 streaming apps.

Collapse -
Oops. Typo in my last reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: 5.1

Sorry I meant many 2.1 bars behave oddly when they get 5.1 content. If this is as you say, you have a good reason to return this.

Collapse -
re: Sorry that was too terse
by LouN57 / September 9, 2013 2:37 PM PDT

I can stream Netflix via the Samsung Blue Ray and I don't get the bothersome skips even when Netflix 5.1 is selected.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
by LouN57 / September 9, 2013 2:40 PM PDT

I don't mean to imply that my problem is solved only that this is not a 2.1 versus 5.1 issue. The problem appears to be in the TV. I posted in hopes of finding a fix or to notify Samsung of this problem.

Collapse -
That's not what I read above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Addendum

"when I am streaming Netflix to the TV and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 sound is selected for the Netflix title."

Collapse -
Samsungs response...
by dykefish / September 11, 2013 10:29 AM PDT

Well... I've sent Samsung a couple emails and this the response given....

"I have done more research and was able to locate the cause of this issue.

What is occurring is the sound bar has to re-buffer the audio as the sound bar does not support 5.1 audio.

When this re-buffer occurs your audio will drop or go out for a few seconds.

I do apologize about the inconvenience with your first contact I had focused on the TV having trouble, but once you updated the information I located the cause and this is the sound bar fixing the audio so that it is able to play. "

.... this really kills it for me. I really liked the sound bar solution but this isn't gonna work. Any suggestions on a sound bar that can handle the "re-buffer"?

Collapse -
re: Samsungs response...
by LouN57 / September 11, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsungs response...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for contacting Samsung and letting us know what is happening.

When my sound skips, it is much less than 1 second so going out for a few seconds doesn't sound right.

Also when I stream Netflix from my Samsung DVD BlueRay player, I get no skips. The Netflix stream for the DVD player is via WiFi; the Netflix stream for the TV is CAT 5 (cable) so I don't think it's an Internet thing. I should try the Netflix stream to the TV via Wifi just to be sure!

Also I don't understand what the "sound bar solution" is? Can you clarify?

Collapse -
re: Samsungs response...
by LouN57 / September 11, 2013 12:39 PM PDT

Also to clarify. My DVD player is connected to the TV via HDMI and the Soundbar is connect to the TV via the optical capble. There is not direct connection of the DVD player to the Soundbar.

Collapse -
Sound Bar solution clarification
by dykefish / September 11, 2013 2:10 PM PDT

What I meant by "sound bar solution" is that I liked the idea of a sound bar... small compact, sleek looking, sound system. Too bad it doesn't work as I wanted it to.

Collapse -
by LouN57 / September 11, 2013 3:12 PM PDT

OK, I found another internet thread that seems to indicate that SmartHub Apps only output 2 channel stereo anyway and cannot output 5.1 even if the soundboard handled it. Hard to believe.

This thread is about 1/2 year old and maybe outdated with regard to firmware.

From the TV I definitely hear the a difference in Netflix streams when 5.1 versus stereo is selected but I get the skips.

From the DVD player I don't get the skips but after retrying I can't tell the difference between the sound output so I suspect the DVD player is output stereo for both Netflix 5.1 and stereo.

I will update this thread with anything else I find.

Collapse -
Same issue here
by Drake1983 / November 5, 2013 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Update

Hey guys I have the same issues.
I have audio skips every time I play a video file from my USB stick through the tv's media player via smart tv. If I turn of the crystal surround air track and listen to the video from the TV's speakers, no problem at all. The skips are like small bleeps lasting less than half a second every minute or so. I have a Samsung Soundbar HW-F450 linked via HDMI to my Samsung TV UE46F6670. I bought both of them just a few days ago and I would like to know if there is any kind of setting I have failed to do. My sound is set on Stereo as mentioned above and I still have these issues.

Collapse -
Sadly, play from USB brings in a lot of issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue here

Not only must the encoding be spot on for the TV to play it but passthrough can be problematic to troublesome.

It's rarely a setting when USB play is concerned as I have taken such and played it on a PC over HDMI to such setups and it's flawless. This points to encoding issues.

Now some tech folk will write that the video/audio decoder is not up to snuff and they are right. We can prove this over and over by re-encoding content or just playing it on the PC. I will not enter into any debate on LouN57's discussion. LouN57 has a good reason to exchange it if support fails.

Collapse -
by Drake1983 / November 5, 2013 3:42 PM PST

So should I take the sound system back? Damn shame Sad

Collapse -
That's what I call the consumer voting booth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Hm

If support fails or the product missed the mark then you take it to the voting booth.

Collapse -
audio skipping
by TOEWS123 / December 15, 2013 7:09 AM PST

Did you try completely disabling the tv speakers in the settings and using external speakers as the audio source on your tv?

Collapse -
re: audio skipping
by LouN57 / December 16, 2013 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: audio skipping

Yes--Didn't help.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by Cchurch08 / December 18, 2013 3:46 AM PST

I can't believe i found this thread! this issue has been driving me nuts. I have chatted with Samsung support on multiple occasions and they keep beating around the bush. Here's my setup:

I have the Samsung 55" UN55F6300AFXZA ( and the Samsung HWF450 Soundbar (

I currently have the two connected via HDMI because I found, through much searching, that this is the only way to control the sound bar with the tv remote. That works perfectly actually. My HDMI (1.3a) cable is connected to the HDMI out on the sound bar and the ARC HDMI port on the TV. The connection works great and the sound is perfect in other apps, in cable, etc but NOT when watching netflix. Seams odd. Im using anynet+ on the TV as well and my sound bar says D-IN on the LCD. In the menu of the TV>Sound>Speaker settings, its set on "receiver." I have the latest TV firmware - 1117.4.

When I turn OFF anynet+ the sound plays through the tv speakers and netflix audio does not skip. When i turn off the sound bar, the sound comes out of the tv speakers and netflix audio does not skip. Samsung support had me reset the sound bar, do a sound test on the tv, toggle anynet+ on and off, switch cables, etc. nothing has helped. I was going to switch to optical cable and put up with losing my one controller for everything until i saw this post that the issue happens with that cable too.

anyone ever figure this one out? am researching hdmi 2.0 cables now but can't image that would help.

Collapse -
Similar problem...fixed
by mhgpn / December 18, 2013 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Same Issue

Experimented with this last night: changed the digital audio output settings on my Panasonic BlueRay from bitstream to PCM. My Panasonic TV audio is factory set to PCM output.
My sound bar is the Samsung HW-E350. Connections: HDMI from BlueRay to sound bar, HDMI ARC from TV to sound bar.
Netflix skipping is now gone on 5.1 and everything else seems to work fine...although I have not tried playing a disc yet.
I will update if the skipping returns.

Collapse -
Audio Skip on Netflix
by dhsekim / December 19, 2013 10:32 PM PST

I have the Samsung smart tv UN46F6300AF and newly purchased HW-F355 sound bar using an optical cable. I find that it is mostly the settings that cause these problems. Audio skipping was only on Netflix and was very troublesome after hours of trial and error I found that changing speaker settings from TV speakers to External speakers and changed the audio format out from PCM to DST Neo 2:5 which can only be done in external speaker mode. NO more audio skipping. All I had to do was change the settings. I hope this will help anyone with this type of problem.

Collapse -
re: HW-F355 sound bar
by LouN57 / December 20, 2013 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: Audio Skip on Netflix

Glad you got yours to work. I tried your suggestion (even though I have a different Soundbar and TV etc) and did not find success. Only PCM is available to me for External Speakers. DTS NEO 2.5 is not even an option. I have some other options but they are appear not to be ever available for selection. Thanks for your information.

Collapse -
by PDB2735 / December 21, 2013 7:23 AM PST

Thanks for the info, it was driving me and my wife nuts.

Collapse -
Audio Skip on Samsung Soundbar
by SpanningSource / December 22, 2013 1:17 AM PST

I've been reading threads for weeks now related to the Samsung SoundBar skipping when playing through Netflix and Amazon, etc....

The solution of switching the play mode from 5.1 to Stereo when using Netflix DOES RESOLVE the vey annoying audio skip, however as another contributor pointed out (a) Amazon and some other streaming apps do not offer the audio conversion option and (b) the Samsung product itself should at the very least work flawlessly with its own sister TV product.

Since it is a hassle to convert manually every streaming app when using Netflix and since I am now viewing quite a bit on Amazon, I am going to as a next step, purchase the Sony HTCT660C and see if my results vary ( favorably ). I will return the product that does not correct the audio skip issue, even if it means I return both.

If anyone does have a solution for either the Samsung skipping with Amazon or if they know of issues with the Sony, please let me know. I will share my results with the Sony switch out shortly.

Collapse -
Also occuring on LG TV and blue ray home theatre as well
by majoma1 / April 17, 2015 9:31 PM PDT

Seems the issue with Netflix and home theatre is not just a Samsung issue but a Netflix one. I too have experienced this issue since watching Netflix and playing the sound through the ARC setting between my LG TV and blue ray home theatre system. Having made the changes mentioned above (PCM and Stereo in lieu of 5.1) has improved the audio skipping.

Collapse -
Re: Audio Skip on Netflix
by drwelker94 / March 3, 2014 4:03 AM PST

This was making me nuts, the EXACT same problem (Only on Netflix, only Audio). Totally fixed now. Happy Happy. Samsung, please take note, as several chats with your tech support did not solve the problem.

Collapse -
Setting Netflix to stereo worked for me!
by church / December 23, 2013 11:30 PM PST

(The account above is me too. I guess I have two accounts but can't get back into the other one..)

I set netflix to stereo instead of dolby and it stopped the sound from cutting out on my sound bar! No solution for amazon though yet. Im going to buy some HDMI v2.0 cables and see if that helps in anyway but i think the problem is within the app/tv and not the connection.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?