Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly

We bought a Samsung HW-C450 soundbar from Best Buy not too long ago. The sound is amazing and it works great, except for that we will be in the middle of watching a show or a movie and the sound will just stop. We have to turn the soundbar off and then back on for the sound to come through again.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly

In reply to: Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly

littlebird1186,

I'm not sure why it would just stop sending the audio, but I'm sorry to hear that you're having a problem with audio dropping out.

I might suggest trying a different optical cable if you're using optical as an input.

--HDTech

Post was last edited on December 22, 2015 10:09 AM PST

Collapse -
Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 cuts out randomly II

Hello,

I've had the random sound stopping issue but not too frequently and would just turn it off then back on again which resolved it until the next time. Well, during the last few days, I've had a bigger problem:

The sound goes in and out as though it is "pulsating" then, just out for so many seconds. Then on again. Off again. On again. Off again and so forth. I've changed the optical cable and also made sure my cable box was on PCM only.

I, too, got my bar from Best Buy (12/2010).

Please advise,

Cary
PS the HDTV is a Samsung plasma 3D model so should be fully compatible

Post was last edited on December 22, 2015 10:09 AM PST

Collapse -
HW-E550 Random Loss of Sound

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem with the below.

TV: Samsung PN60E8000
Sound Bar: Samsung HW-E550
Direct TV

I'm just getting a random 1 to 2 second loss of sound. Sometimes it seems to be every 10 min or so sometimes 20 min but either way it is very annoying and should not be doing this.

I've tried to connect via HDMI 1, HDMI 2, & Optical with no change. I have not tested Bluetooth or USB yet because I simply do not use those features.

This has been a problem since the day I hooked up the sound bar about two months ago.

Just did it again while typing this message. It's been at least 20 min since the last loss of sound.

Totally random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Collapse -
Re: HW-E550 Losing Sound

In reply to: HW-E550 Random Loss of Sound

Hey Kevin2409,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you test something for me? It sounds like you bought these together and have had them connected since you started. Any chance you can test for me without the sound bar connected to see if there's any change. Also, since I see these are both rather new models, any chance you could connect up the new sound bar to your old TV to see if it behaves in the same way?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Sound dropping out

In reply to: Re: HW-E550 Losing Sound

I am having the same problem with my samsung soundbar. the sound drops out and comes back. i was listening to the us open and it happened A LOT. now, watching a dvr recording it isn't happening as often.

i am using an optical cable.

help!!

barbara

Collapse -
Kevin2409: Random loss of sound

Exact same experience. What did you end up doing to resolve? Thanks.

Collapse -
Same Issue HW-E550

In reply to: Kevin2409: Random loss of sound

I'm having the exact same issue with my Samsung HW-E550. Not cool! Just wondering Kevin2409 did you ever get a response back from Samsung? Its been randomly cutting in and out for weeks now and its getting old. I also have multiaple units connected with various cables and get the same results

Collapse -
My similar issue

I have a Samsung soundbar hooked up using an optical cable to my LG smart TV. I noticed that the sound bar cuts out for a second here and there, but only when watching Netflix through the smart TV. It just happened really bad which made me look into it. I have had this issue since I got the sound bar, and can confirm 100% it only happens with Netflix through the TV. Even if i rewind, the same parts cut out.

Collapse -
Exactly the same problem

In reply to: My similar issue

I have the EXACT same problem. It cuts out only on Netflix through our smart tv. Both are Samsung. Could it be the Netflix app? Sometimes it cuts out for a couple seconds in and on through the entire show/movie. Other times it just won’t play for a couple minutes and I have to exit the app and get back into it for the sound to turn on. Did you ever resolve this problem, if so, how??

Collapse -
I think you didn't read all the replies.

In reply to: Exactly the same problem

The usual here are:
1. Install the latest firmware in the TV and bar.
2. Change the audio settings in the TV and Netflix to Stereo or PCM.

There are more ideas in this thread. Please read them.

Collapse -
I have tried everything

In reply to: I think you didn't read all the replies.

I have been following this thread for over a year and have tried everything. Nothing works. Thanks for helping though

Collapse -
Then the news is grim.

In reply to: I have tried everything

Try another bar.

Collapse -
Had That Problem; Solved It

I too, put up with the "Audio Hiccups" for months and after trying nearly everything, including replacing all my connections and even the sound bar itself, I realized that it had to be something in the software or settings. So ... I went into Settings/Audio and changed the Digital Audio Output from "Auto" to "PCM" ... it worked!!! I haven't had any problems with the audio since; hope this helps you, my friend.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Had That Problem; Solved It

I was wondering, did you make this correction within the audio settings of your television? I recently purchased a Samsung sound bar too, and I'm having the same problem all of these folks are having. I don't think you can make that type of adjustment to the bar I have. But I realize there are many types of sound bars out there.

Collapse -
TV Settings

In reply to: Thanks!

On my Samsung TV I tap the Menu/123 button on the remote and it brings it up settings. Then click on Menu. Go down to Sound and click. Then go down to Additional Settings. Another Menu opens and the first one should say HDMI Audio Format. Click that and then set it to PCM. It should take you back to the menu where you clicked on HDMI Audio Format. Go down to Audio Format and set that to PCM. Exit out of the menu settings and it should be fixed. Hopefully this works for you.

Collapse -
The trick is to change to PCM!

In reply to: TV Settings

The issue was changing from bitstream to PCM format. The menu path was a little different. But the point was to get to the tv audio settings and change the audio format to PCM. Thanks! That audio skip was driving us nuts!

Collapse -
Thanks!

This solved my problem! I got a new Samsung TV and the soundbar with it in October and have just been dealing with the sound going in and out since then. Last night it finally drove me crazy enough that I decided I needed to fix it. Nice easy fix thanks to your post!

Collapse -
PCM is the solution here!

It is a fine day after exchanging my sound bar twice to finally get the solution to the "hiccups" in the sound (random loss of audio for 1 or 2 seconds) ... I don't have a Samsung tv but was able to solve the problem by accessing my 'advance' audio settings and changing the setting from RAW to PCM.
Touch wood! The only slight drawback is that I had to up the audio on the soundbar to get the same level of volume! Thanks to MrMRTF!

Collapse -
Sound bar

I just tried this so far so good!!!!

Collapse -
OMG!! Thank you

Thank you SOOOOO much. First sound bar we had this issue with. Sony could not help me. They made me ship it to them and said could not duplicate my issue and mailed it back to us. So we bought a new one (samsung) after about a day it started the hiccups.... So tonight, because it was hiccuping every 10-15 seconds, Google lead me to you!! Thank you Thank you it worked!!!

Collapse -
switching to PCM fixed it!

I am so glad I stumbled upon this solution—switching to PCM. Annoying problem solved for our Bose to Vizio to Sony player audio hiccups! Thank you so much for sharing your discovery!

Collapse -
Samsung fades out turns off

We’ve been putting up with this sound bar glitching our turning off for two years. It cuts out when we watch movies or listen to music and disconnects from Bluetooth. It’s really annoying

Collapse -
Answer
Talked to Samsung

Samsung has no clue as to why the unit cuts out. They told me to get it serviced!

Collapse -
Also Talked To Samsung

In reply to: Talked to Samsung

Same here bjago. I'm inconvenienced and have to send it to Samsung to get it serviced.

Now I'm taking the chance of damaging it further by not having the proper packaging. My original box is long gone at the dump.

To HD Tech,

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased the TV first and never had this issue with the sound. Started when I hooked up the sound bar.

I just purchased a smaller Samsung TV for my bedroom and I may test with it if I decide to send it off for service. To be totally honest i feel like I should not have to do any of this. I've spent way too much time trying to trouble shoot this issue and feel Samsung should send me a brand new unit after receiving my defective unit. At that point they can evaluate and figure out this problem that obviously others are having.

About to reply to email from Samsung to request new unit. Sorry but if denied I will definitely NEVER buy another Samsung product!

Will keep you posted

Collapse -
Soundbar E550 sound cuts off randomly

In reply to: Also Talked To Samsung

To Kevin2409,

I too am plague with the exact same issue you are experiencing. Really frustrated. I had tried almost everything to resolve this problem.

What I've noticed is that this problem only occurs when watching Netflix through the Samsung TV SmartHub with the Soundbar powered on. No issues at all when using any other APPS in SmartHub.

I've called Samsung Support and they've asked me to try various things with no success. One of the Support staff said that he will be calling the Engineering Dept. regarding this issue. I will keep posted.

Do you have any updates on your side....were you able to resolve the issue?

Collapse -
Similar issue...any updates?

In reply to: Soundbar E550 sound cuts off randomly

I purchased the Samsung HW-FM45C soundbar this past Christmas (2013), to go along with our newly acquired Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA 40" Smart LED TV purchased in September 2013.

TV speakers operate as normal 100% of the time.

With the soundbar connected to the TV via optical cable, I've noticed the sound will randomly cut out for seconds at a time on the soundbar when watching Netflix via the SmartHub app. (I have muted the TV sound, so I can easily determine when the soundbar drops out.) I haven't noticed the soundbar cutting out when watching youtube music videos or regular television, so I would venture to believe it has something to do with Netflix?

As some have recommended, I used an air duster on the optical cable/ports to ensure there wasn't something simple like dust causing the issue. I will be testing another optical cable in the near future, but seeing as how that doesn't appear to be the issue because the problem is not consistent, I doubt the cable is the issue.

Has anyone determined a root cause/solution to this issue?

Collapse -
Re: Similar issue...any updates?

In reply to: Similar issue...any updates?

Hi AuctionJunkie247,

Have you tried changing the audio output on the TV to PCM? (menu > sound > SPDIF > audio output)

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Wireless connection

In reply to: Re: Similar issue...any updates?

I have the same problem as stated by the other, random "silences". But my Soundbar is connected wirelessly not by optic cables and the sound setting is on PCM? Could dust in the ports still make this happen?

Collapse -
Re: Wireless connection

In reply to: Wireless connection

Hi jaybird671,

Have you tried an optical or HDMI connection to see if the same issue occurs?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
wireless

In reply to: Re: Wireless connection

Yes i did and i still had same issue.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!