Samsung forum

Question

Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?

Hi,

It just occurred to me that since my new Samsung ES7500 TV, by design, does not output 5.1 sound on optical out, there is no way I can watch my USB/Allshare and those streaming app videos (youtube etc) in surround sound!! Please correct me if this understanding is wrong but sounds like a big rip off.

Is there a work around? What about ARC, does it output 5.1 sound?

Thanks,
YP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?

In reply to: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?

Collapse -
samsung

In reply to: Re: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?

HD Tech,

Your response didn't answer my question. You suggested to hook-up STB directly to HT to get 5.1 that way but what about USB and Smarthub apps which are directly connected to TV? How do I get 5.1 sound out of TV to my HT for those?

Thanks,
Yogesh

Collapse -
Re: answered your question

In reply to: samsung

Hi CosmicWiz,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: by connecting your home theater via HDMI to your TV, you can get sound back down the HDMI cable; if your home theater has ARC, then the signal will be sent back down from the TV to the home theater. You'll just need to make sure the home theater is connected via HDMI port 2 and that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) is turned on both devices.

HD Tech

Collapse -
samsung

In reply to: Re: answered your question

HD Tech,

ARC is not necessary, it seems. Please see my reply below.

Thanks,
YP

Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind that there are rules about passthrough.

In reply to: Samsung SmartHub videos and 5.1 sound?

I'm going to keep it short but HDMI/HDCP mandate that pass through is only standard definition or stereo when the digital stream is passed out of a device that can render video or sound. It's a stunner for those that think that such is possible and it is possible but the industry is trying to shutter the possible leak of HD content.

There is a fine exception in the rule for pass-through of OTA (over the air) content and the issue of network playback is an area I find it may or may not work at better than stereo.

It's an industry issue and not a maker decision. If a maker decides to ignore the rule, Intel has a pack of lawyers they send in.
Bob

Collapse -
samsung

In reply to: Keep in mind that there are rules about passthrough.

Thanks bob. So, the question is: does HDCP mandate of no pass-through apply to SmartHub streaming, USB sources directly connected to TV also or just HDMI IN?

Collapse -
I'm not a lawyer.

In reply to: samsung

So I leave it to others to read and interpret. But you can test the pass-through and from what I see, SD (that's standard definition and stereo) are being passed all the time. It's the HD content where the industry gets all fouled up.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Let me sum it up another way.

In reply to: I'm not a lawyer.

Don't confuse what is possible with what this industry has done to thwart what is possible.

A -> classic <- discussion is the "sports bar" situation where you want to send the same HDMI source to a few locations. What a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
It ain't that bad

In reply to: PS. Let me sum it up another way.

Okay, I did some stress testing of my system and this is what I found:

HDMI-IN: TV outputs only 2 channels on optical out. There is nothing in surround speakers. SPDIF out menu has only PCM option

USB/Smarthub: If video has it, TV outputs 5.1 channels on optical out. Surround speakers do have sound. SPDIF out menu has PCM and Dolby Digital option.

So, it ain't too bad I guess Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!