Samsung forum

Question

Samsung SmartHub 2014 - A Step Backwards?

Since getting a new 2014 Samsung TV (UE40H7000) I have been trying to get to grips with the new Smart-Hub, which at least at first glance looks to be several steps backward over the 2013 version.

Samsung appear to have filled my screen with a whole load of Apps that I don't want or need, and there does not seem to be any way to delete any of them or even organise them in a way that hides them (folders). Perhaps there is a well hidden method to doing this that I haven't found yet?

slarti

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung SmartHub 2014 - A Step Backwards?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung SmartHub 2014 - A Step Backwards?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is that the My Apps screen?

In reply to: Samsung SmartHub 2014 - A Step Backwards?

Collapse -
The MyApps Screen

In reply to: Is that the My Apps screen?

Yes, I accept that I can't alter the Recommended pane at the top - this was always the case in the previous version of the Smart Hub.

But the large block of App icons below (is that what you refer to as the MyApps screen?) should surely be editable?

Some of them are TV linked and probably wouldn't be removable, but it should be possible to remove some of them; I just can't see anywhere in the new interface that allows them to be deleted / uninstalled.

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.

In reply to: The MyApps Screen

Samsung treats the TV as theirs to use to promote apps or even advertise. This is not a secret as we read their web site such as
http://www.samsungadhub.com/pr/ourCapability/smartTVAd.do

Not only that but the word I hear is that they get a cut of PPV (pay per view) content so even more incentive for them to lock down apps.

Let's be clear this is not a Personal Computer but an advertising channel/device. For me I hit the off switch (turn off Smart Hub) because of this plus I have yet to find any clear listing of what data Smart Hub sends home.

Sorry if I can't find the exact screen to chat about but this area is not entirely under our control unless you count the off switch.
Bob

Collapse -
Not so Smart Samsung

In reply to: Sorry if I was unclear.

Ok, the TV may be "Smart" but clearly Samsung are not, treating their customers like that will drive them away in the long term.

Collapse -
Or the subsidy lowers prices

In reply to: Not so Smart Samsung

And we can get a great display for cheap then select our own Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku to add the smarts of our choice?
Bob

Collapse -
That Link...

In reply to: Is that the My Apps screen?

I just looked at the link you posted; strangely my Smart Hub screen does not look like what is pictured. I don't have a single tab at the bottom of the screen saying "More Apps" - my previous TV did (with Smart Hub on the 2012/EK1 model). The More Apps used to be the way in to editing the screen and removing unwanted Apps; but as I say, it isn't there in the version I have installed on my TV !

Collapse -
Clarification Request
No way to delte

In reply to: Samsung SmartHub 2014 - A Step Backwards?

So my firmware version is current, version 21143 as of 30/11/14. I've been trying to delete app from my smart tv UA55H6400 trying to delete the apps using the hold the touch pad button and bringing up the pop up menu beside the app icon and highlighting delete and then confirming the delete doesn't do anything. I've tried logging in to my account on the TV and moving through menus to my page and deleting them that way also and it doesn't work either. Sometimes it goes through the progress bar and then freezes or it just goes back to the way the apps were displayed before with no delete. I'm starting to go crazy. Will ring Samsung today and post again later. I understand that there are pre installed apps that can't be deleted but I'm not trying to delete these apps I'm trying to delete the apps that aren't greyed out when I highlight the delete multiple option.

Collapse -
Always call those bugs in.

In reply to: No way to delte

Otherwise Samsung won't know to fix it.

Collapse -
Awaiting level 2 call back.

In reply to: Always call those bugs in.

So after I posted this morning, I rang Samsung tech, we tried trouble shooting everything, different ways to delete and uninstall the apps, the support tech guy saw everything I was doing because I gave him remote access to the TV and even he couldn't fix my problem, we went through several ways to try and delete app which was a little annoying because I had done everything he suggested before (delete from different tabs, reset of smart hub, logging in and out of Samsung account, single delete and multiple delete of apps) I was thorough before I rung and he was thorough as well when I left him to try himself, to no avail, so he left me saying that my problem is being referred to the level 2 tech support, gave him my number and the only thing I can do now is to wait. Will post again when I receive a response.

Collapse -
(NT) Others are posting Samsung is currently having issues.

In reply to: Awaiting level 2 call back.

Collapse -
Searching for a fix for 2 weeks now,

In reply to: Others are posting Samsung is currently having issues.

I'm posting here because I couldn't find anything recent. This one being the most recent. My problem was evident before the update on 25th but I have the time to trouble shoot this now . And the fact that I'm am not the only one doesn't really reassure me lol. (since when has Samsung never faced issues?since when has any manufacturer not faced any issues for r that matter. ) Sad because I have a TV, 2 phones a washing machine, microwave and fridge that are all Samsung branded. At least the support service didn't keep me waiting for my call to be answered, compared to other companies. Waiting to unbox a note 5 that turned up in the mail today so the faith is still there, . Barely, but it's there none the less Hahahahah

Collapse -
Samsung 2014 smart tv app delete success! Woohoo!

In reply to: Others are posting Samsung is currently having issues.

I got a call back from the level 2 tech support today and using remote access he tried resetting the 'smart hub' through the TV menu and it didn't work we also tried the same things I did previously with the support guy yesterday still nothing, then he brought up the service menu that looked like a custom recovery and reset 'smart hub' that way, then restarted the TV and boom all the apps were gone! Only the bloatware were there, installed and deleted a game app to check and it deleted with no problems! So happy! I would love to know how to get access to the service menu though, hope this helps other people! Now back to streaming my favourite Anime 'one punch man'!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.