Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Smart TV using data while watching free-to-air TV

by Liz85 / September 30, 2013 2:01 PM PDT

My parents just bought a Samsung UA32F6300AM 32"(81cm) FHD LED LCD 100Hz Smart TV. The 2 days after it was set up they had the TV on quite a bit - only watching free-to-air TV, and they got a message from their service provider saying they had used a significant amount of data (compared to their usual usage) over those 2 days - about 1.5 gig. The only thing that they had done differently was watch free to air tv on the new smart tv. I know watching free to air tv shouldn't use data so I'm not sure what is going on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV using data while watching free-to-air TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV using data while watching free-to-air TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Smart TV using data while watching free-to-air T
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 1, 2013 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Australia actually :-)
by Liz85 / October 1, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Is this TV connected to the internet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 2:30 AM PDT

If so, you may want to remove it's internet connection.

Collapse -
Yes it is connected to the internet
by Liz85 / October 1, 2013 9:23 AM PDT

Yes, the tv is connected to the internet, but my parents want to use it to watch catch-up tv online, so it needs to be connected to the internet.
Is there an easy way to turn the internet connection on and off?

Collapse -
You need to.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 9:27 AM PDT

Check your data plan with your ISP.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Any video over the internet
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Data Usage problem
by xxBlueDogxx / January 31, 2014 1:21 AM PST

I have a data usage problem with my Samsung smart tv as well it uses 3 to 5 times the data to watch a movie compared to my Wii , my roku and any of my pcs no one with Samsung can explain this other then its just what they do. I have stopped using the Smart features of my television and will be selling it, and buying a regular led set and attaching a roku to it. Do not buy a smart tv unless you want to be charged for extra data usage from your provider.

Collapse -
Why not add the Roku?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2014 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Data Usage problem

That seems to be the cheap exit here.

Collapse -
Answer
Excess data usage
by Chog77 / January 11, 2016 3:41 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem. Even when the tv is on standby, the tv has used about 2gb of data in 3 hours. I have done an isolation test on every single device over 2 weeks. I also tracked internet data usage when the house was unoccupied and we were at work. Once I isolated the tv which was the only device with power on standby and connected to the modem, it was using up data. Even when I changed the settings on the tv disable automatic updates. Definitely an issue with Samsung tv.

Collapse -
Check the above and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2016 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Excess data usage

Why not disable this internet connection as it's defective.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!