Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Smart TV unable to connect to internet (suddenly)

I have a Samsung smart TV (40 inch) unsure of the model number as i am at work. It has a wired connection to my BT Infinity router, up until this morning it was working fine when accessing the smart hub, Netflix etc. This morning when accessing smart hub the TV said that it could not connect to the internet, I ran a test, TV said cable to router fine, but no internet. WIFI on all other devices is working ok. I have reset the router, disconnected tv from the mains, swapped the ASDL filter for a new one and changed all cabling (wall-router/router-tv). The TV is still giving me the same error message. I'm unsure of the next step, any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV unable to connect to internet (suddenly)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV unable to connect to internet (suddenly)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you call Samsung?

In reply to: Samsung Smart TV unable to connect to internet (suddenly)

Because of how they designed their software, if Samsung services are on the blink or down this can happen. I've yet to find Samsung putting up a status page so we're left with calling their support lines.
Bob

Collapse -
No, so maybe just Samsung

In reply to: Did you call Samsung?

I didn't have time to call them this morning but based on what you have said, it may well be Samsung end that is on the blink.

Collapse -
Same problem on 2 Samsung Smart TVs

We have 2 Smart TVs, both connected via wired connections to the router. The router is working fine and is providing internet access to a variety of devices.

Today, started getting the same message, as others have, on both TVs, that the connection to the router is fine, but not beyond that. What's really annoying is that this problem also stops us accessing our myth app, and programmes stored on our Myth PC on our own network, as well as not giving us access via the internet to Netflix etc.

We've had this problem a few times before, and it's always been the Samsung servers,which they eventually do something about and the Service comes back up, but it's pretty poor that this problem occurs regularly.

Collapse -
Same problem (but in Mexico)

In reply to: Same problem on 2 Samsung Smart TVs

I have 3 Samsung Smart TV's.
Two UN46D7050 TV's and one UN48H5500 TV.
The problem started this morning (24/02/2015).
One of the Two UN46D7050 TV's is in my dining room and didn't want to connect with my internet (wired).
I also have two Blu-Ray players connected in my dinning room. Also wired and those devices where working as normal. Then I tried to connect my TV wireless, and still not working.
From this moment I thought my TV was broken, because my Blu-Ray players where working fine.
Them I was checking my other UN46D7050 TV in the TV room. This one is wireless connected, but also the same issue... Can't connect to the internet. Also no problem with the Blu-Ray player here.
I both this two UN46D7050 TV's about 3 years ago on the same day, and now they died on the same day?
Then I checked my UN48H5500 TV on the bedroom and no problem with the connection on the internet.

I never had problems with the connection to the internet before, and now 2 of my 3 TV's wont work anymore.
Looking all over the internet to try to find out what is the issue I came to this forum, and it is a relieve to find out that I am not the only one.

Hope that Samsung will solve this problem soon...

Collapse -
Connected to wireless but not to internet

In reply to: Same problem on 2 Samsung Smart TVs

I had this same problem.On the remote go to
Menu
Scroll down to support
Click on software update
After it updates, you may have to wait for Smart Hub to update also.
This worked for me.
Good Luck

Collapse -
can't update without internet connection

In reply to: Connected to wireless but not to internet

You can't run an update unless connected to the internet, which is the problem to begin with. So frustrating!!!!

Collapse -
Time to check with Samsung.

In reply to: can't update without internet connection

Many Samsungs use some USB stick for updates. DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT SAMSUNG'S GUIDANCE.

What you wrote is false here and I've lost count of updates I did with USB sticks and with wired connections.

Collapse -
DNS Server error

Probably you already fixed the issue but this may help other ppl with the same issue. Go to Menu-network- network settings, tv will show that is connected to the router but not the internet, select IP settings and only change the DNS Server numbers from auto to manual and change the numbers to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
That usually does the trick, good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you!!!

In reply to: DNS Server error

Changed the DNS and works fine. Saved me from having to call tech support.

Collapse -
Thank you

It Worked! Thank you so much Grin

Collapse -
not for me

the DNS changing trick didn't work for us; tried multiple permutations of it, no luck. Dang.

Collapse -
Thank you (Muito obrigado)

Change the DNS works fine on my TV. (parece um pouco estúpido, mas a verdade é que alterei o DNS para 8.8.8.8 e a ligação ao wifi ficou a funcionar perfeitamente.)

Collapse -
It Worked :))))))

@Nando314 ......OMG!! I used the 8888 and This WORKED!! I Have NEVER EVER Used a site to Fix a TV Problem! because I Barely know how to work a TV Remote Control Let alone a Cable Remote Control! Thank God for this HELP!! Yay!! It Worked! Grandkids can NOW watch Netflix!!! Yes!

Jan

Collapse -
Infinitely grateful. Thank you so much!!!!

Infinitely grateful. Thank you so much!!!! It completely fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time to post this info.

Collapse -
it worked like a charm :)

thank you so much for providing this information....way better than spending too much time of hold to talk to a person to help with this issue

Collapse -
Thank you, success!!

[/I had tried everything I could think of but without success. I had thought everything had become disconnected following a new router but it was only when I chnged the DNS server numbers to 8888, that my tv reconnected. Yoday, I am going to try to reconnect my wireless hifi, which also refuses to stay connected & that is a Philips Streamium from 2006.i]

Collapse -
dns

Thanks for posting Samsung DNS numbers, worked for me.

Collapse -
DNS Server error

We have paid two tech companies come out and try to fix the internet error on our Samsung "smart" TV. Many thanks to Nando314 and the DNS server number trick, because Netflix and the internet works again.

Collapse -
Internet don't work

I tried it through wireless and direct internet but don't work, what should I do?

Collapse -
Make the call to Samsung

In reply to: Internet don't work

If all internet connections fail, call it in. Sometimes it's a bad board, outdated firmware or "other."

Collapse -
Very helpful

worked like charm.
I don't understand this, but will do more research.

Collapse -
Nandi314 is a Genius and a fine human for sharing.

Thank you for walking me thru this process. 8888 fixed the problem. Before you, I contacted: Internet provider - Cable provider - was told to contact Samsung and I did. Samsung sold me a Lan adapter $50. Didn't fix it. Do I need it? Stress and Big pain for 10 months. Now I'm watching "Better Call Saul" Seriously eliminating cable-going for Apple TV with a Roku. I'm done Wasting money-time-effort. Thanks for this forum and CNET.

Collapse -
Watching Netfix.

In reply to: Nandi314 is a Genius and a fine human for sharing.

Compliments to Nando314

Collapse -
Advice provided by their support line

I actually called their support line and eventually we got to the 8888 into the DNS - manual and it worked - thanks

Collapse -
Worked like a charm!

Changed DNS to 8.8.4.4 worked for me. THANKS a lot

Collapse -
Worked like a charm!

Changed DNS to 8.8.4.4 worked for me. THANKS a lot

Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Stickied for the meantime till the Ambassador reports in.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
MOVIE STREAMING

Hi

I have 55inch 6400 Samsung TV
I use google to watch online movies.
Unfortunately I cannot adjust the scrolling bar of the movie screen, to skip or to start from a place I want.

Kindly advice.

Thank you

Athula

Collapse -
Re: google

In reply to: MOVIE STREAMING

What service of Google do you use: Google Maps or Google Earth or Google Translate or still another?
And what app in your TV do you use to access that google service?

Generally, a good solution is to use your PC or laptop or some Android box, wirelessly connected to the TV using Chromecast, so the TV is just used as a dumb monitor in stead of a not so smart TV.

Kees

Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) I am having the same problem but I have a wireless router

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.