Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung smart tv UN32EH5300F used as PC monitor

by Gyrobobb / August 14, 2014 8:26 PM PDT

I just bought a Samsung UN32EH5300F to use as a computer monitor AND as a smart TV.
-- I have installed it using an HDMI cable from the PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) to the TV in HDMI port 1(DVI).
-- I also have the TV hooked up to the u-verse cable box in HDMI port 2.

It works perfectly for u-verse cable TV.

It is not working very well on the computer.
-- I have the highest resolution selected, and I have done all the MSWindows adjustments I can find (maybe I have not found them all?), but the resolution is still not very good when being used as a monitor.
-- It is usable, but I would think the picture would be at least as good as the four year old 20" computer monitor it replaced. The old monitor is still a lot crisper than the Samsung smart TV.

Are there any more resolution adjustments to make on the PC?

Are there some adjustments to make on the UN32EH5300F itself?

Is there a different driver to use when using a UN32EH5300F as monitor?

Thanks for any help!

Bob

Gyrobobb has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung smart tv UN32EH5300F used as PC monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung smart tv UN32EH5300F used as PC monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Gyrobobb

Collapse -
found some improvement
by Gyrobobb / August 15, 2014 7:59 AM PDT

I did three adjustments that helped quite a bit.

In windows, I used the color management procedure to adjust the hues, brightness, contrast, etc. It didn't help any with the resolution, but it did make the color normal.

Then, in the menu for the UN32EH5300F, I used the picture mode function and selected "movie" instead of dynamic or standard or natural. That made a HUUUUUUGE difference.

Also, I noticed the screen was a bit clipped, so I used "screen fit" on the screen adjustment menu. That matched the picture exactly to the edges of the screen.

Bit by bit, this thing is starting to work. I'm sure it could use some more tweaking.

Thanks for the responses.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: screen
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 14, 2014 8:30 PM PDT

- What's the resolution of your TV?
- What's the resolution your video card is set to to deliver across hdmi?

Kees

Collapse -
video card resolution
by Gyrobobb / August 15, 2014 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: screen

How would I find out the resolution for the video card for HDMI?

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 1:10 AM PDT

It's a TV and not a monitor. The designs diverge and you find folk pining for the clarity of a monitor at times.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5300FXZA-specs shows it's a pretty standard 1080 TV so all I can write is to send it the exact pixels that match the screen. If you send " the highest resolution selected" then you may be getting less than is possible.

This link shows why that is -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

Having seen this issue and complaint before I know we can tweak it up but monitors are almost always better than TVs.
Bob

Collapse -
match pixels to screen
by Gyrobobb / August 15, 2014 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

"send it the exact pixels that match the screen."

Sounds like a good idea. How do I find out how to adjust pixel output from the computer, and pixel requirements of the screen?

Collapse -
Re: adjust resolution
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: match pixels to screen

That's somewhere in the graphic settings. But since you say on your first post that you have " selected the highest resolution" I assume you know how to do it.

The same resolution as your TV, that's what is best. Since Bob says it's a "pritty standard 1080 TV" I assume that is 1920 x 1080, the typical HDTV size. But you know what you bought, don't you, and you have the manual.

To get a better picture when using it as a monitor, experiment with turning off all picture enhancing in the TV when using it as a monitor.

Kees

Collapse -
What or who is "pritty"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: adjust resolution

Around here we think it's Pritty Kitty.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) That's a typo.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:31 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.