Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Smart TV came without the icon for adding apps

by mfarnand / September 28, 2014 2:55 PM PDT

I can successfully log into Netflix with my new Samsung smart tv, but I can't log into Hulu Plus via a shortcut (icon). I wanted to add more apps, but there is no Samsung apps icon on my menu. I have Netflix, the internet link, HBO go, info, Pandora, Youtube, Amazon, Ryder Cup, Shop TV, Skype, Clear All .... and that's it! How can I get the Apps Icon loaded on my tv so I can add more apps, especially the Hulu Plus icon?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV came without the icon for adding apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV came without the icon for adding apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please add some details. Full model # and country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 12:22 AM PDT

Some sets vary what apps there are by country. With the WWW (world wide web) a few folk look at a model in the USA and then ask why this or that is not in their Tunisia model.
Bob

Collapse -
Country is United States and the Model # is UN32H5500AF
by mfarnand / September 29, 2014 11:53 AM PDT

This TV was just purchased at Best Buy in Rochester, NY. It is Samsung Model UN32H5500AF.
Samsung UN32H5500 - 32" LED Smart TV - 1080p (FullHD)
And it did NOT come loaded with a Samsung Apps icon as shown in the online manual. I can get onto the internet and access Hulu Plus that way, but I would prefer to have a shortcut via the icon. I have no way to load any additional apps such as Hulu Plus.

Collapse -
Time to call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 12:17 PM PDT

I'm finding the manual may be out of date and not reflect exactly what we see on screen.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32H5500AFXZA does show it has Samsung's Smart Hub so if you registered, activated Smart Hub that's where the apps should be offered. However some apps rely on the third party to keep up. One owner was upset when Google stopped offering the YouTube app on their model.

I think that makes for a discussion point with the makers about apps and "the future."
Bob

Collapse -
Aha! Operator Error!
by mfarnand / September 30, 2014 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Time to call it in.

Bob, you were correct and that was what went wrong. The images in the e-manual were not consistent with what was on the screen. By chance I was moving the cursor around the screen and found there was a different way to view the Smart Hub apps. Once I went to another view, I saw that I was previously set up to only view my favorites. Since I had not set up Hulu Plus as a favorite, it wasn't until I changed the view to see more apps, that I could add it to my favorites menu. All is well with the world now. Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!