Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Smart TV and HBO Go App issue

I have 2 Samsung Smart TVs (F7100 and F7500). My F7500 has never had a problem accessing HBO Go. My F7100 has constant issues where it can access one day and the next day it says it needs to be activated, but when I try to activate it says "Please Note: It is not possible to sign in at this time. Please try again later". I have tried factory resets, Smart Hub reset, deactivating and reactivating. All other apps seem to have no issue so I figured it was an HBO Go App. I can't uninstall the app since it is a "recommended" preinstalled app which is frustrating because both Samsung TV support online help and HBO Go support say to remove the app. Sometimes if I turn the TV off and then back on the issue resolves itself sooner. I have the latest firmware which is 2209. Please help me resolve this problem. I feel like Samsung needs to address this through a firmware update which updates the HBO Go app. I wish I could uninstall the app. I have done some Google searches and see that a few people have experienced this issue. One link goes back to last year. Here it is:
<span>

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://jamespaulmuir.com/samsung-tv-hbo-go-workaround/

Thanks,

Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV and HBO Go App issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV and HBO Go App issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have the same problem. Have you found a permanent fix?

In reply to: Samsung Smart TV and HBO Go App issue

I have updated the firmware/software, changed to China and back to U.S., apps reloaded, tried your work around. Still stuck in an endless loop of "activate" or "you cannot view at this time." Once in a while, it works, i can watch a single program, then back to "activate." Very frustrating.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
RE: HBOGO

I'm sorry to hear this, Jason! Is the firmware completely up to date on the unit? You can also try reinstalling the application. If this is the only app that is having these symptoms after doing the troubleshooting mentioned we would recommend contacting HBO GO Directly.

Regards,

HD Tech

Collapse -
HBO Go

In reply to: RE: HBOGO

Hi HD Tech,

On my UN55F7100 the HBO cannot be uninstalled. That is the big problem. It comes with the TV and is not removable. I have contacted HBO Go and they say to uninstall too but as I said it is impossible. It is part of the "Recommended Apps" on the TV. If there is a way to uninstall I cannot find it. The firmware is the latest according to the TV when I attempt to get the latest. It appears that this issue does exist with other customers and I am hoping that Samsung and/or HBO Go could possibly resolve this. Otherwise I like the TV, but would like to use the apps available to me.

Thanks,

Jason

Collapse -
Sam may have a workaround.

In reply to: HBO Go

Remember I don't offer this as support but so you can ask Sam how to work around this. Here, on some models you change the country code to a country without HBO Go. This wipes out the app. Change it back to your country and the apps re-align, reload for your country. HAVE SAMSUNG WALK YOU THROUGH THIS.

Collapse -
Workaround didn't work

In reply to: Sam may have a workaround.

Thanks for the tip. I found a tech note on how to change the code since I tried HBO GO today and it failed to activate. I changed the country code to one that removed the app. Unfortunately once I changed back to USA it reinstalled the app with the same result. Failed activation. I don't get why this happens. Now I have to go and set up my other apps all over again. I now believe that this is purely a Samsung issue and not HBO. There is something wrong with the firmware that should be addressed. I don't believe there is a hardware issue, but who knows.

Collapse -
Only Sam may have the tools for this one.

In reply to: Workaround didn't work

Sam also has a remote reset tool on some models. There are many prior discussions about app fails. Frankly the fact that Sam doesn't own the app or code can make it something they can't fix.

Witness what happened with Google's Youtube on many devices.

Anyhow, call Sam and see if they have a remote reset and can check your model for MAC address testing.
Example at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-5316705.html

There are other internal machine specific ID numbers but Sam should check them all.

Collapse -
Factory Reset?

In reply to: Only Sam may have the tools for this one.

Thanks again for the information. Is the factory reset offered remotely be any different than the one available in the standard menu? I have done remote sessions with them before on other issues with the F7500 and they didn't do anything more than that which I already tried. I also saw some YouTube videos and other postings about doing a service menu based factory reset. Is that reset fundamentally different?

It wouldn't bother me so much if Samsung didn't display it as a Recommended App, which was one of several reasons for getting the TV. I understand that HBO Go probably is responsible, but Samsung shouldn't promote the app if it doesn't work reliably. I don't believe it is just me with this issue since I have seen it mentioned in other places such as the one mentioned in my earlier posts. I was hoping the HD Tech from Samsung could look further into this since I haven't had much luck with standard Samsung support.

Thanks again,

Jason

Collapse -
Sam must answer.

In reply to: Factory Reset?

Sam has a remote reset system that they are not forthcoming about. Let them answer.

Use their facebook and such contact system as well.

Collapse -
HBO GO prolem unresolved. Help?!?

In reply to: RE: HBOGO

Firmware/software updated, switched to "Chinese," reloaded apps, deleted apps, changed back to U.S. by Samsung tech via remote. Worked one time, now back in the endless "activate" loop. Any other ideas or has anyone produced a permanent fix? TV is a Samsung LED 7100.

Collapse -
No help from Samsung or HBO

In reply to: HBO GO prolem unresolved. Help?!?

Unfortunately there is an issue here with the app and this particular TV. I also have a 7500 and it works fine on that TV. As for the 7100, you are in the same boat as a few people. This is an issue, but no app update by HBO and no support from Samsung at this point. I called a few times and eventually they said they would get back to me and never did. Have you tried calling them back at all since they had to change the region.

Jason

Collapse -
Answer
Re: HBOGO

I’m sorry to hear this Jason. I would recommend speaking with the remote support team in regards to resetting the unit in the service menu. They have access to this menu, and if you actually gain access to it you jeopardize the chance of voiding the warranty. You can request that the agent perform that troubleshooting step. You can also try changing the DNS Server to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, or 4.2.2.1. As for the error you are receiving, if it continues after doing these steps, I would recommend you reaching out directly to HBO GO at, 1-212-512-1208. Because you are not experiencing this symptom in the other apps it very well may be an issue on their side that they would be able to resolve. Hope this helps!

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung wasn't helpful yet

In reply to: Re: HBOGO

Hi Samsung HD Tech,

I reached out to Samsung Tech through a chat and couldn't resolve my issue remotely. They didn't really do anything but what has been repeated before. HBO Go is confident this is a Samsung issue possibly with the Smart Hub and/or firmware since the same app has no issue with my other Samsung TV (F7500). The Samsung chat ID was LTK1125604170941X if you could look into this further. The tech agent from the chat said Samsung will contact me to look into this but gave me no time frame. I am a little frustrated at this point since the app again should work given the fact it is a built in app meaning it should have been tested. Rebooting the TV after getting the error message usually fixes it for a day, but I am not going to risk the wear and tear on the TV by doing this all the time. I could get a Roku/Chromecast/ Apple TV as suggested on other tech forums to get around the issue, but what is the point of a Smart TV that isn't doing what it is supposed to be capable of doing. I could have saved money and got a cheaper non-smart TV.

Thanks,

Jason

Collapse -
Still no response from Samsung

In reply to: Re: HBOGO

Hi Samsung HD Tech,

I have still yet to receive a response from Samsung regarding the issue that I have mentioned before. They said they would get back to me and yet nothing. Really disappointed in Samsung at this point. I do see that a new firmware update is available (2210), but there is never a changelog as to what this actually is doing to the TV. Until someone says this fixes a particular issue, I have no reason to try it. Maybe you could shed some light on this. Either way I will have to look into a different manufacturer the next time I am in a market for a TV. I won't bother with anything that is a "Smart TV". I now have my Chromecast handling all the features like HBO Go that the Samsung simply cannot handle. Samsung's televisions. Sad part is the Chromecast is only $35! I am sure HBO is partly responsible, but they probably commit more resources and updates to app markets and platforms that are simply more popular.

Jason

Collapse -
More than partly.

In reply to: Still no response from Samsung

Samsung doesn't write that app. It's up to HBO to update and here you are with an update that apparently you ask Sam what it does and they were silent.

Can you return the set as defective?

Collapse -
Samsung can contact HBO

In reply to: More than partly.

The TV works fine as a TV. Not so much as a smart TV and it is a few months out of warranty. I could keep pressuring HBO to update their app. People in other forums have had the same issue. Samsung should also press the issue with HBO since they put the app right up at the top as a recommended built in app so yes they make themselves responsible as well for providing support. Don't market the app and don't make it a built in app that can't be removed. I do not care if they did not write it. That is not the point. They market the app as a selling point so again this is their deal as well. It is fine though at this point since I am working around the issue, but it does make me upset when Samsung tech support said they would contact me and have failed to do so. I like Samsung products but I will keep this issue in mind on future purchases and recommendations to friends and family.

Collapse -
I'm waiting for the day.

In reply to: Samsung can contact HBO

When someone files suit over this area.

Waiting for a call? I see that people drop the ball too often. Keep calling.

Collapse -
Same problem, daily

In reply to: Still no response from Samsung

I have been having the exact same issue. Were you able to resolve or hear back from Samsung?

Collapse -
No solution

In reply to: Same problem, daily

Unfortunately Samsung never got back to me even though they said they would. There was an update to the firmware last month but it did not help anything. HBO hasn't updated the app in months and Samsung continues to keep the app as a recommended app that can't be removed. I never even got any help from the Samsung HD Tech on this site. I use my Chromecast for my apps and it works great. The interface for HBO on the Samsung would be nice, but without support it is useless. I am not going to needlessly cycle power to the TV to make it work. Have you tried to contact Samsung? It isn't easy getting help from them. Same for HBO.

Jason

Collapse -
Answer
Not a fix, but another workaround

I have been having the same issue as most of you. What I've been doing until a fix is implemented is, when you first open the app on the TV, instead of going into activate, go into Browse. Select a video you would need activation to see and try to play it. You will then be prompted to activate. Go through the activation process. You will get the same error message that you cannot activate at this time. Turn off TV, and turn back on. Go back in the app, it should now work. This works for about a day. I found this workaround a bit easier than having to reset everything every time. I hope this helps someone.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Not a fix, but another workaround

I have been plagued by this exact issue, and this is the first workaround that actually produced results! It would be better if the issue itself could be resolved, but I'll accept this until I get a new, not Samsung, tv.

Collapse -
Finally!!!!

This worked for me!!! Thank you so much for posting this! I've been trying to resolve this issue for months. Much appreciated...Happy Streaming!!

Collapse -
New workaround

Found a YouTube video where someone experienced the same issue. It basically says to check for a firmware update even if none is available. So far it has worked twice. Much better than power cycling. I also noticed HBO has finally issued an update. It hasn't solved the issue. Samsung also does have a new firmware but I have yet to try it. I do see they removed HBO go as recommended app so it can be uninstalled. I do believe this is still a Samsung issue and not the apps fault. I actually don't even use the apps on the TV anymore but figured someone might find this useful.

Here is the link for the new workaround: https://youtu.be/q_VxSBgUnUo

Collapse -
This looks like one of those DNS issues.

In reply to: New workaround

Did you try the DNS 8.8.8.8 ?

Collapse -
Answer
This fixed problem for me

I was receiving the same problem asking for activation code
What finally worked from me was when activation code appeared on TV I entered the activation code on my smart phone leaving the HBO app open on the tv. After I entered verification code on smart phone app worked on TV I did not have to delete app which I tried to do but could not as hobgoblin is preloaded on TV I bought
Give it a try hope this helps

Collapse -
Still in the activation loop

In reply to: This fixed problem for me

This "fix" only works for me for a day or until next time I turn on the tv and try to watch HBO GO. Has anyone found a real permanent fix yet?

Collapse -
Still a problem...

In reply to: Still in the activation loop

Yes this issue still exists and there is no response from Samsung or HBO Go. Samsung has updated their firmware since I first posted here, but I noticed HBO hasn't released an update in a long time. The best bet and what I have done is purchase a Chromecast and use the app provided for that since it is well supported. The "Smart Hub" apps provided by Samsung's app store are weak and not well supported and result in issues like this. With new streaming devices (Roku, Apple TV, FireTV, Android TV) coming out all over the place, it seems like relying on the apps on so called Smart TVs isn't a good idea. It seems less likely this gets resolved as the TV continues to age.

Collapse -
"It seems less likely this gets resolved as the TV continues

In reply to: Still a problem...

"It seems less likely this gets resolved as the TV continues to age."

-> You've nailed the issue squarely here. Almost every company I know closes down software development the moment the model is sold out. Some minor fixing might happen during the warranty period but after that, no company seems to go back and fix it. Since the app is not Samsung's own the issue gets worse as HBO's own staff are working hard on an ever expanding list of devices to port to.

Ever played "Jenga"?

Collapse -
It's Disappointing

In reply to: "It seems less likely this gets resolved as the TV continues

It's disappointing that we paid a lot of money for a 65" smart tv that doesn't work with apps advertised on the box it came in. Since its mounted on our wall it's not easy to get to the connections on the back to plug in another device. I suppose in about ten years we'll get a letter that there's been a class action suit filed for Samsung's failure to deliver what they promised and then we can all collect some meager amount if we remember when we bought our televisions. Shame on Samsung.

Collapse -
Since it's not Samsung's App (HBO)

In reply to: It's Disappointing

I doubt the action would be against Sam. Talk to a legal eagle about this to clear up who's on the hook. This changes with which country you are in.

For example, Microsoft's Windows is full of issues but did the action take place against say, Dell?

-> I've seen many advise to treat the TV as a TV and forget the smart parts. There are many reasons to do that since Samsung's goals are not ours. Example? Read this link.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Samsung+TV+Pia+Ad+Spaces+Technical+Specifications&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Samsung appears to have removed the web page where they flaunt PIA. I guess they were tired of others pointing it out.

-> Get a Roku, Amazon Fire TV or other is my advice.

Collapse -
Get money back

In reply to: Since it's not Samsung's App (HBO)

This fix worked for me as well. Based on how many people who paid thousands for a TV that did not work as it was advertised, there should be consideration of a class action suit. Any thoughts?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.