Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Series 8000 Smart TV vs Netflix

by kaythiroew / November 13, 2011 1:38 PM PST

After setting up our new smart tv, while we were watching, the tv said it had to upgrade "something" don't remember what exactly it was and then it deleted the icon for Netflix and we can't get it back on, how do you do that? Why was it deleted?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 8000 Smart TV vs Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 8000 Smart TV vs Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Series 8000 Smart TV vs Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2011 3:56 AM PST

kaythiroew -

Collapse -
Netflix Icon Deleted
by steveguy350 / November 14, 2011 4:20 AM PST

That was my experience as well. No I don't have a Netflix icon.
I looked in my video download section and found several pages of apps; but no Netflix.
I then went through the "Reset" process. Afterwards, still no Netflix.
I live in Dayton Ohio.

What happened was that I just finished watching some program, afterwhich, I get some message and I press Enter. Next thing I see is Netflix being deleted from my Samsung Series 8000 Smart TV that I bought from HHGregg several months ago.

Collapse -
Netflix app gone
by tgkaye / November 14, 2011 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Netflix Icon Deleted

I too have lost my netflix app. I was asked to update a program as well. I own a series 8000 smart TV.

Collapse -
Re: "as well"
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Netflix app gone

They asked you to lose your Netflix app and they asked you to update a program (which program) as well? And who asked?

What happens if you download that lost Netflix app again?

Kees

Collapse -
Mine also..
by ColoradoSteve / November 14, 2011 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: "as well"

I have the a LN4600 series tv and the same thing happened to me last night. Said there was an update then a message that Netflix was being removed with an OKAY button.

Collapse -
Mine's back
by ColoradoSteve / November 14, 2011 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Mine also..

Showed back up yesterday...

Collapse -
Mine's back -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 15, 2011 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Mine's back

ColoradoSteve,

Collapse -
Netflix app disappeared from my HT-C6930 home theater, too.
by suzukii69 / November 14, 2011 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Netflix app gone

Same here fellas. The app disappeared from my HT. So I called Samsung & three minutes later they told me that the Samsung server which connects to Netflix is currently down & they're trying to get it backup. Hmmmmm....

Collapse -
Netflix app disappeared from my HT-C6930 home theater, too
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2011 12:24 PM PST

suzukii69 -

Collapse -
Netflix gone from my ASUS tablet too
by m2ynaosha / November 29, 2011 9:55 PM PST

Same here. Netflix was working fine, then I clicked on the icon yesterday and it said that the program was not installed. I went to the Android Market (from my tablet) and it wasn't to be found there. Oddly enough it's still available for my Samsung Epic phone because I just had to do a wipe and reload all my apps yesterday, and Netflix was in the market and is now working on my phone.

This is frustrating. Does anyone know if/when it will be available again for the Android tablets?

Collapse -
Did you read the article about Android/Netflix?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2011 4:51 AM PST

I won't dig it up but because of a hack that allowed one to copy the movie the app had to be re-worked to protect the content.

It is that simple.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Same Problem, but not a new TV
by samsungPDX / November 14, 2011 12:01 PM PST

Wow, its interesting to see others with the same problem. My Samsung 8000 SmartHub TV did this exact thing to me on Sunday, Nov 13. Netflix just disappeared in the quick "upgrade". Netflix had been working for several months with no problems. What's up? Did these two companies have a falling out? -NoFlix in PDX

Collapse -
Hey, it's back tonight
by samsungPDX / November 14, 2011 12:08 PM PST

I got another message tonight about an Upgrade, and Netflix arrived back in the Recommended section. I had to enter my Netflix login and password again, but the problem is solved.

Collapse -
Same Problem, but not a new TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2011 1:38 PM PST

samsungPDX,

Collapse -
Upgrading to Netflix 3.1 app
by nusynot / November 26, 2011 2:13 AM PST

I have an 2010 model blurry player (bd-c6900). Even on the lates firmware update (1022) it's still running Netflix app 2.1. I know that 3.1 is already out on the newer Samsung tvs. How can I upgrade my blurry player to the newest 3.1 Netflix app?

Collapse -
Upgrading to Netflix 3.1 app
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 2:13 AM PST

nusynot -

Collapse -
netflix with subtitles already available version 3.1 app.
by nusynot / November 28, 2011 4:55 AM PST

HDTech, But the thing is Netflix already written the app already!!! It is Samsung's Netflix app version 3.1 and is available on 2011 Samsung TVs (xxxDxxxx). D = 2011, C=2010 and my TV and bluray players from Samsung are all C (TV= PN50C8000, bluray player = BD-C6900). Why can't they allow the same version 3.1 app that's already currently available for 2011 TVs and bluray players (which has the subtitle option) to also be available for download for 2010 samsung devices???

Collapse -
Netflix sets the bar or pace here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 5:09 AM PST

It's possible there is not enough oomph in the 2010 sets to make this work. Netflix is consumer driven and may need more feedback from the users to get this to happen.
Bob

Collapse -
netflix with subtitles already available version 3.1 app
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 2:52 PM PST

nusynot -

Collapse -
netflix with subtitles already available version 3.1 app
by nusynot / November 28, 2011 10:27 PM PST

If that's the case, how can I get it across to Netflix that people that own 2010 model Samsung and Bluray players would also like to have the netflix 3.1 app upgrade? How do I get in touch with the App Owner? If you look at the Q&A forums for the netflix app on the Samsung website, numerous people have inquired about the subtitles/closed caption option for the netflix app. I know the demand is certainly there for it and I'm certainly not the only one. I've tried to contact both Netflix and Samsung support but each party has told me it's the on the other party's domain... (Netflix: that's something you have to contact Samsung tech support about... Samsung: Netflix app is created by Netflix, you need to talk to them).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!