Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Series 5

by duanesabado / November 10, 2008 11:32 PM PST

I recently bought a series 5 that was bundled with a home theater system (HTZ210). I hooked up the system to hdmi2 port and when I turned on the tv it showed 480p at 60hz (or something like that). Played DVDs and it looked great, but my question is this: why is it at 480p when the tv says its 1080p. is it because of the player? (though it says that "Full HD upscale"); do I need to get a blu-ray player to get 1080p? or is it because of the supplied hdmi cable? I saw something in the manual that says 1.3 hdmi? how would I know if the supplied cable is 1.3? would it make a difference? Hope you can help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Series 5
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2008 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Series 5

Duanesabado,

Thanks for purchasing two Samsung units. I can help explain these issues.

First of all, the television will display the signal coming in. Since your Home Theater system will upconvert inside of the player, it may not send the upconverted signal until you go into the menu and tell the Home Theater system that you want to upconvert it to, say, 720p or 1080i. It comes out of the box set at the lowest resolution on purpose. So you'll want to go to the menu in your HT-Z210 and change the output to a higher resolution. That should give you better picture quality as well. What you change that to, your menu bar on the television (you noted 60hz, 480p) should change to (60hz, 720 or 1080i) the higher input.

Let's address the 60hz part now. Yes, your television will display 120Hz, but that processing is done inside of the television. So you'll send that signal at 60Hz, and the TV will transfer it to 120Hz and display the 120Hz signal on the panel. However, that 60Hz denotes the input signal, not the displayed signal.

The 60Hz on the information bar is the signal it is receiving, and not what the panel is actually showing, and that is confusing. Rather, it is display what the input is from your HT-Z210, and that will be at 60Hz. It should be understood that the TV will then process that signal and display 120Hz.

I apologize for the confusion on that Information Bar, but it IS receiving 60Hz, and no matter what regardless of display, will process the signal and always show 120Hz.

As for the upconverting DVD player, DVDs are 480i or 480p. The HT-Z210 will actually add lines of resolution based on the 480 lines present, and then output that improved picture through the HDMI, where the television will process it again. It won't be Blu-Ray quality, but it will be converted to a high definition signal that allows the television to display a quality picture.

I hope that answers your questions. If it doesn't, please let me know and I'll be happy to explain further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Series 5
by duanesabado / November 11, 2008 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Series 5

Thanks! Figured out how to change the resolution and now its even better than I expected!

does it follow that an HDTV will have clearer pictures at 120hz than 60hz? I would assume that the Series 5 processes signals at 60hz compared to say a Series 6 or higher which is at 120hz? Just curious about the specs, but I'm satisfied with my Series 5 for the moment.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Series FIVE... Series FIVE...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2008 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Series 5

Oh Duanesabado, you are correct.

For those keeping track, this is why I claim 99% accuracy. Wink (I just passed the 300 post mark so far, and this is my first blunder, so my average is around 99.66%)

The Series-5 DOES have a 60Hz panel. In my gusto of explaining the Menu Bar (which some have noted is confusing with the 6-Series-and-above models being 120Hz and only showing a max of 60), I clean forgot that we were discussing the 5-Series.

So okay, let me clear this up.

The 5-Series Information bar MAY display 24, 30, or 60Hz, depending on the source that is incoming. Your television will always display 60Hz, even though the Menu Bar may show 24, 30 or 60, which indicates the source content. And from the Redundancy Department of Redundancy, the incoming resolution will be displayed on the bar, and not what the television is actually showing. So while the Information bar may show 720p as an incoming signal, the panel will always show that signal in 1080P.

To answer your question, I'll actually refer you to a short thread where I explained some of the technical stuff in an easy to understand format with regards to the benefit of 120Hz technology vs. 60Hz. Allow me to note that you still have a great panel, and while 120Hz benefits some areas, you're most definitely not "obselete" since no source content actually outputs in 120Hz. Even Blu-Ray is 1080p at 60Hz. It's the processing that we're able to do WITH 120Hz that makes the picture improvement notable.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?forumID=146&threadID=315587&messageID=2903086&tag=forums06;forum-threads

If you do wish to respond, please come back to this thread so I don't cross-contaminate threads. Happy

Good to hear that your player is better than expected, and if you have any other questions, let me know.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?