Question

Samsung Secret Zone won't recognise correct Password

Dec 28, 2014 7:01PM PST

Hi there,

I have an M3 portable Samsung USB External Hard Drive (Seagate). Model HX-M101TCB/G

I am unable to access the Secret Zone on the hard drive because it tells me my password is incorrect. But the password has not changed.

Can anyone help?

All feedback appreciated.

Danny

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung Secret Zone won't recognise correct Password
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung Secret Zone won't recognise correct Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) entering the correct password but external drive won't open
Jan 22, 2017 5:36AM PST
- Collapse -
Re: will not open
Jan 22, 2017 6:31AM PST

Anything else that happens, or just nothing at al? Do you have to end Explorer via task manager because it hangs, or is it still responding?

- Collapse -
Thanks for a response:Password won't open external drive
Jan 22, 2017 7:09AM PST

It keeps asking to enter the password again: then if I choose forgotten password I am requested to contact the system administrator and presented with sets of 4 digit encryption codes with empty blocks below needing data entry,
Any advice is welcome: I've tried downloading the safe end software again for the Samsung device but that made no difference, Thanks in advance.

- Collapse -
Answer
Widely discussed.
Dec 29, 2014 1:01AM PST

Folk have flamed many others for Samsung's gaffes on this one. Losses, hard feelings and more are too often seen here. My vote and advice is to forget this secret zone and ignore Samsung's software/feature. Use it as a plain drive so it just works.
Bob

Post was last edited on January 23, 2017 10:08 AM PST

- Collapse -
And ...
Jan 23, 2017 1:02AM PST

to add 2 things to Bob's good advice:
- Never store your ONLY copy of data on an external drive. Having only one means there's no backup, which implies you don't mind losing it.
- If you choose to encrypt a file, be sure to have an unencrypted backup on a safe place.

- Collapse -
Answer
Encryption services
Jan 2, 2015 1:27AM PST

When you get into anything encryption based then you face the possibility of losing access since anything can go wrong. I can only *assume* that has happened to you or the effect is the same. Basically, if you input the proper password and it doesn't work, you have lost access. Only Samsung(seagate) will suffice for a proper fix or work-around.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/samsung-drive-manager-master-dl/

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Recover Samsung Secret Zone
Feb 12, 2016 4:02AM PST

I faced this issue many times, every time I try to access secret zone my password won't get recognized, so I figure out whats the issue was

You are right, we do not change password but still it says password is incorrect
The reason is on the OS we used last time won't recongnize secret zone next time when we connect.
Solution :
1)Install new OS ( xp or 7 or vista), I have tried XP on VMware workstation ( because VM machine easy to install and manage)
2)Install Secret Zone
3) Set new password
4) Reboot the PC
5) Now, try to connect using password created in step (3)
6) Hopefully now you can see your .msr files to mount
7) Mount .msr files ( you should know password you set when you created .msr file first time)

I hope this helps.
Enjoy!

CNET Forums

Forum Info