Samsung forum

Rant

samsung screen off on led tv

by fastrover / August 24, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

On my new samsung LED tv . I like to listen to my music collection off usb or sometimes internet radio. to my dismay i then found out i can't turn the screen of as the option is dimmed and not available.this doesn't make any sense as this is the only time i would normally use this feature to save energy.I could always do this on my lg tvs.Is there any chance that samsung might address this issue with a firmware upgrade.For the music player a simple icon for screen off would be the best.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung screen off on led tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung screen off on led tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Screen off
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 1:07 AM PDT

What is the exact model number? And in what country did you buy the TV?

Kees

Collapse -
Screen Off
by fastrover / August 24, 2013 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Screen off

The model is ue55f6400 purchased in uk. I know this is not a fault but the ability to do this would be welcome

Collapse -
Screen can not be turned off in some situations
by fastrover / August 24, 2013 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen Off

Maybe i should have put this in questions instead but just to clarify here is the examples of what i mean.

Option one source tv ariel select menu scroll down screen of works. no use why would i want to turn the screen off when i'm watching something'

Option two source usb or hardrive select music choose folder album music player starts go to menu picture scroll down to screen off this option isn't available.So you have to leave the screen on wasting electric to just look at alist off tracks.

OPtion three smart hub apps choose radio app to listen to music go to menu picture scroll down screen off this option isn't available.

So the best option turn the telly off and use my phone or tablet both samsung where turning the screen off is easy but the telly being the most expensive can't do this simple operation would love to here a reply from samsung as one off there selling points is energy saving.

Collapse -
Eco is Key
by Highland_Logan / August 25, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

You should be able to turn your screen off (black) within the Eco option.

Pain to do every time, I know... but if it works, you have your answer.

Frank

Collapse -
eco option
by fastrover / August 25, 2013 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Eco is Key

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the eco options but there is nothing for turning of screen. This option should be quite easy for samsung to implement. Another annoying thing I noticed today is that while playing a music track if I go backto folder to choose another album the track stops playing. My only solution to these problems is to connect my usb or harddrive to my surround sound Lg then select the hdmi input I can then turn the tv screen off and also look to choose new song while the previous track is still playing. Considering this tv is a 2013 model the ability to turn the screen off while playing music from usb/hardrive or via smart hub radio app should be available as I have been doing this for a few years now on my other tv's ive owned.

Collapse -
E Series
by Highland_Logan / August 25, 2013 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: eco option

With the E Series, you chose Eco Solution, and choose Energy Savings, and pick Screen Off.

Frank

Collapse -
eco solution
by fastrover / August 25, 2013 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: E Series

On mine eco solution energy saving is reduce the power consumption by adjusting screen brightness and even this function isn't available when using the music player. Good job it isn't a plasma. not only you can't turn the screen off even a screen saver doesn't kick in. not very smart after all. apart from this it's a great tv.
I hope samsung one day updates the firmware to allow this.

Collapse -
samsung screen off on led tv
by TutucaBra / December 10, 2014 8:20 AM PST

Hello Fastrover!
You got some solution to this problem?
Best regards

Collapse -
This thread is more than 473 days old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2014 8:25 AM PST

You'd be better of posting a new thread on your problem in order to get the best answers.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
back button
by hpp8140 / December 11, 2014 8:45 AM PST

Hit the back button
A message should come up to continue playing music. select yes
You should now be in smart hub.
use menu button to go into picture menu and turn tv off

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?