Alert

Samsung rf511 optimus issue

Hey guys.
I have an Alienware M14x laptop with 2 graphic cards- an onborad Intel HD and a GeForce GT 540m.
I'm having problems with Optimus- Instead of using the Nvidia GPU, all applications now use the Intel onboard. Windows does recognize the GeForce card- it shows up in device manager and everything. I tried setting the 3d settings in the Nvidia control panel to always use the Nvidia GPU but still nothing. When I start a game, the Nvidia panel doesnt mark the Nvidia GPU as "ON". Tried using OptimusTools64 and it shows the GPU switching from "off" to "idle" but never to "on".
Also tried reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, Intel drivers and doing a system restore to yesterday (when it was still working properly).
It might have been due to me using the anti-malware program Combofix because thats the last thing I recall doing before this issue. I would post the combofix log file but it doesnt exist due to the system restore.
Another weird thing- When I go to "Adjust image settings with preview" in the Nvidia control panel, optimustools says its "on". However it does not work in any other app.

Does anyone have an idea for how I can fix this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung rf511 optimus issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung rf511 optimus issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ComboFix Is An Extremely Powerful Tool

If you downloaded it from any of the special removal sites, almost all recommend it be used ONLY under the direct supervision of the pros at those sites.. It cleans our registry entries, removes files, re-enables default settings, and lots of other things that may cause issues with your computer.. In many situations, the only option will be to perform a full, clean reinstall of the operating system, drivers, and all other software..

That said, one of the things that may have occurred, is you may have both video cards enabled in Device Manager, and because of the reset of default settings, you may need to "disable" the onboard video to allow the Nvidia card to take over.. Try restarting the computer into Safe Mode, which causes the screen to use basic video drivers, then open Device Manager, click on the + sign next to "Display adapters", then open the properties of the onboard Intel device and at the bottom of the window, in "Device Usage", use the drop down arrow to select "Do not use this device (disable)". ALSO, open the properties of the Nvidia device and make sure it's "enabled". Do this BEFORE restarting the machine. Once done, restart the machine and hopefully, the Nvidia device is now the default video device.. If not, the screen could be blank and you may need to restart the machine in Safe Mode, re-enable the onboard video, and perform a full reformat and reinstall the whole system.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
fgg

I will definitely try this tomorrow..
so far, thx for reply!

- Collapse -
dd

I recently founded this (becouse I was running just windows recovery, not full) in Combofix log :
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\ProgramData\adob\phatk110722GeForce GT 540Mv1w256long4.bin.vir
and C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\ProgramData\adob\rundll32.exe.vir and ~40 other infections.. I think that I had quite powerful virus

- Collapse -
Yep, Much Was Infected...

Try the steps mentioned earlier, and if nothing good comes of it, you'll need to perform a clean install.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
dd

yea I runned full recovery and problem is fixed.. however Im experiencing bit high temperatures.. in idle ~50°C istn it too much?

- Collapse -
50 C would be normal for laptops and gaming.

While it might be considered high for a desktop, a desktop has big heatsinks and fans. So laptops let the temp rise more. This has those used to desktop temps concerned.
Bob

- Collapse -
dd

fuf.. when I was off the PC, I noticed the temperature was 44aprox. so its ok, Im just paranoid Grin

CNET Forums