Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USB stick

Hi,

I am trying to record TV footage from my TV to a USB stick. I have formatted the device however the tv still says that "this device is not suitable for recording or Timeshift, it is reccomended to use USB HDD

What is the spec required to record onto a USB stick / hard drive

I have tyried a 4gig and 8 gig USB stick and still no luck.

Please help

Regards
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USB stick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USB stick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USB stick

In reply to: Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USB stick

westydave,

That feature isn't available on U.S. models that I'm aware of. The best recommendation I can make is to call the Samsung customer service center in your region for further assistance.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USD stick

I had the same problem. You can only use a high speed (>5400rpm) USB stick which are not stocked in stores. They have to be specially ordered in and are very expensive. You are better off using an external HDD USB drive. I bought a samsung G3 2TB but am having some problems. Sometimes it works and sometimes "an unkown error has occured" and the recording fails. My suggestion go for a hdd recorder. Cheers.

Collapse -
rpm for USB flash?

In reply to: Samsung PS58C7000 - Cannot record to USD stick

sorry, can you explain what you mean there? I thought usb flash didn't have RPM, and i can't seem to find much on google about it.
What's an example usb flash that would work?
What's an example HDD that would work, given that you said your's isn't up to the job.
thanks very much

Collapse -
rpm for usb flash

In reply to: rpm for USB flash?

Hi, all I know is that the USB's stocked in stores are not the high speed needed for the tv. I know that you can order them in but they are expensive. You may as well go for an exernal usb hdd >5400 rpm. I bought the Samsung g3 station. I had some problems because i bought a longer usd cord for it but it is working OK now. Any external usb hdd should work. Good luck.

Collapse -
usb flash recording for tv

In reply to: rpm for usb flash

Found the following article on this.
cheers
While buying a new USB flash drive, the average customer usually cares only about the price, the look and the storage volume of the drive, but not the data retention (simple said, how many years you can use the drive), the quality of the memory chips and the read/write speed of the USB drive itself. 95% of the USB drives that are currently selling on the market are using the MLC (multi-level cell) technology, which is cheap, but the data retention rate of the NAND flash chips and the read/write speed is very low. The SLC (single-level cell) technology gives the data retention rate 10 times more than MLC (you can read about SLC vs MLC at the official page of Buffalo, one of the major USB drive manufactures; and here is another article on the life of SLC and MLC-based drives), and a significant higher read/write speed. To be exact, the average read speed of MLC-based USB drives is 10-15 MB/s, while SLC gives 20-25 MB/s, sometime to 30 MB/s. The write speed of MLC-based USB drives is even worse, around 8-12 MB/s, while SLC-based drives reach 20-25 MB/s. The only disadvantage of the SLC technology is that the production cost is really high, and after 2007, most of the manufactures of USB drives ceased the production of SLC-based USB drives (except some very hi-end series like Buffalo RUF-S or RUF-R series, Sandisk Ducati Extreme or Corsair Voyager GT).

Collapse -

In reply to: rpm for USB flash?

I have a Samsung UN40C7000 3D TV, & have found that a TDK 8GB TRANS-IT MINI USB Flash Drive records TV shows with no problems after the TV formats it - however, a Lexar 16GB Jumpdrive VE Flash Drive WILL NOT record anything at all. Hope this is of some help, I don't know technically what the difference is between the 2 flash drives. I'm trying to find a 16GB one that works, as the 8GB can only record about 2 hours of TV.

Collapse -

I also have a TDK 8GB TRANS-IT MINI USB Flash Drive and it works great once set up in the device list menu in the recorded tv area of the media play menu. I am using a samsung psc506900 and the usb hdd port, I don't know if that matters or not. Recording is fine and time shift works normally. This usb drive cant write as fast as 34 Mb/s but seems to work fine. Hope that helps

Collapse -
Should this work for the UE55C8000XK?

Hi all,

Collapse -
(NT) Hack for fast USB stick which fail performance test

In reply to: Should this work for the UE55C8000XK?

Collapse -
That's what worked for me

I tryed with at least 3 different new disks and a supercharged usb stick... the usual question 'Do you want to format' then then check if compatible and finally Error.
What helped:
Inside the SMART interface find an app called Recordet TV (at least something like that). In the menue of this app you find tools to format, check and recheck. Do them all.
That's it. Finaly timeshift.
Try if it works for you.

Collapse -
Solucion Formatear en XFS (no NTFS, no FAT) en Linux

Lo siento (Sorry) pero no escribo en Ingles.
Tuve el mismo problema y encontre la solucion:
Desde Linux (Ubuntu por ejemplo) y utilizando Gparted, con la extension para file system XFS, formatear el pendrive en el sistema XFS por supuesto.
Ahora el Samsung TV acepta el pendrive.
Lo he probado con muchos pendrive (no necesariamente rapidos).
Suerte y un saludo.

Collapse -
That's no solution.

In reply to: Solucion Formatear en XFS (no NTFS, no FAT) en Linux

As such and this is an old post, this old discussion is closed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!