Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PS50A650 + MacBook Pro = "Mode Not Supported"

by azenis / November 25, 2009 10:02 AM PST

Hi there
Hope someone can help
I have the above television, and have been connecting my MacBook Pro to it via a Mini Displayport to HDMI adaptor.
It used to work just fine.
Now all I get is the "Mode Not Supported" error message. Going to the menu/pictures none of the PC Mode options appear.
Resetting the TV to factory settings did not fix it.
We have two MacBook Pros in the household and the same thing happens with both. Have tried different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports, all same problem, which lead me to conclude the Mini Displayport to HDMI adaptor had developed a fault.
I had arranged for a replacement adaptor to be sent, but then a friend came around with his MacBook Pro and out of curiosity we plugged his in and it worked.

I have wiped my computer and put a clean installation of OSX Snow Leopard on, and that did not fix the problem.

What is going on? How can I fix it? Why does it work on one out of three computers, all near enough to the same (ours are 13" and 17" my friends is a 15") all running the same operating systerm (10.6.2) all using mini display port.

After the VERY disappointing image quality (Might have to start another thread about that...) the slow menus and out of sync audio, I am about ready to burn this TV and then burn its ashes again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PS50A650 + MacBook Pro = "Mode Not Supported"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PS50A650 + MacBook Pro = "Mode Not Supported"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh...
by azenis / November 25, 2009 10:03 AM PST

I should add I also updated the firmware to the TV, however, it had been working before this (firmware update was done in a hope to fix the problems, which it didnt)

Collapse -
Oh and before you suggest it...
by azenis / November 25, 2009 10:05 AM PST

I can not change the resolution or refresh rate the MBP is sending to the TV because the computer does not detect the tv's presence. The screen does its normal blue flash but the TV does not appear in the displays preferences pane.

Even on a totally clean installation of OSX.

Collapse -
Oh and before you suggest it...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 25, 2009 2:53 PM PST

azenis,

If your friends Macbook works, and yours doesn't, and your computer doesn't detect the TV's presence, might it be a faulty HDMI out in your computer?

--HDTech

Collapse -
its mini display port
by azenis / November 25, 2009 7:17 PM PST

Well I thought the adaptor may be no good, but it worked fine on his.
I find it highly unlikely that BOTH our macbooks would have developed a faulty output?
I am going to test my macbook on another TV tomorrow if I can.
Is there any other reset I can do on the TV? I think maybe it may have borked itself somewhere when it sees our computers? Can the tv distinguish between different machines?
They both worked in the past and then it stopped seeing them around the same time.

Unless it is my adaptor, and its fault disappeared each time we put it in my friends computer, which also would seem strange.

Bloody annoying though when you spend two thousand dollars on a TV and you cant even watch your computer on it, and have the other problems outlined in the other thread.

See what the service agent says tomorrow I guess.

Collapse -
the computer does detect the tv
by azenis / November 25, 2009 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: its mini display port

to the point that the computers screen flashes blue, which is normal when you plug a second screen into a mac. So the computer sees the tv connecting, but can not communicate with it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!