Samsung forum

Question

Samsung PN60E550 power on issue

This is a return to a older previous post: I have the 60 PN60E550 which has start up problems. When I power up the set it takes several minutes for the sound to start but there is no picture. I have ruled out the cable box and remote because the set does the same thing when I power up with the Samsung remote or the DVD player remote. It is necessary to shut down and restart several times before I get a picture to accompany the sound.
I religiously comply with the software updates.
A HD tech made suggestions which did not help but also said to try a factory reset.
Can someone describe exactly what a reset does and how to run it. Thanks for any input
Frank

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN60E550 power on issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN60E550 power on issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
In short

In reply to: Samsung PN60E550 power on issue

Resets can be simple such as power on/off to a factory reset which puts the settings back to as delivered when new.

These are always tried before we call in a service tech or arrange for repair.

Collapse -

In reply to: In short

Many thanks for the response R.Proffit. Not sure what you mean "such as power on/off.

How does that differ from normal on off sequence. I have had to do that repeatedly to get set to run with sound and picture? Can you kindly elaborate.

Collapse -
Sorry if that explanation won't do.

As to repeatedly turn on and off, that sounds like a hardware failure and not a setting.

Get estimates on the repair. OOW (out of warranty) repairs are often more than a new set. This has had a few heads explode.

Collapse -

In reply to: Sorry if that explanation won't do.

I wondered how a factory reset would benefit the startup problem but the Sumsung tech suggested it. I tend to agree with your diagnosis - a hardware rather than a software failure.

Once I am able to get the sound and picture after turning the set on and off repeatedly it operates flawlessly; but should it be turned off after it has operated for a period of time, it stubbornly refused to start until it has been off for a lengthy period. Perhaps this suggests an overheating/failing issue with some hardware component?

I was not able to run a factory reset anyway - it requires a password and I have no clue if a password was ever created.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Frank

Collapse -
Never gave it much thought.

While I am a programmer and designer of embedded electronics I don't give it much thought when dealing with a problematic item. I'll run through the resets and see if that helps.

I know you want an under the cover view of why but here we are trying to keep this from going to the repair center. Why not try the resets and hope? I guess I should reveal that a few clients have demanded to know why we do this or that but we charge extra to them since they are taking up a lot of time where we could have completed the initial steps in a few minutes and moved to either fixed or needs repair.

--> About the password. http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/878504 might have it. If not, ask Samsung for the article for your model.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.