Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung pn50c550 Image Retention

by msm026 / November 22, 2010 11:34 PM PST

Hi,
I recently purchased the Samsung 50" Plasma in the Subject (3 days ago). After setting it up and viewing DVD's and HD cable I am absolutely thrilled with the picture quality. I had done a lot of research on plasmas vs lcd/led before making the purchase and decided that plasmas were the best bang for the buck, and the samsungs seemed to have the best picture in the stores. I understand from researching that it is wise to break in Plasmas for at least the first 200 hours. So, I have dialed down the contrast/brightness and various other color settings based on recommendations online for the break in period. I have also run the break-in DVD for about 15 hours so far. Now, to the problem: I was very disappointed to see how quickly I noticed Image retention on this TV. For example with the low settings implemented I watched ESPN for under 5 minutes. After switching to a blank feed, I could very clearly see the ESPN logo and even the score of the game. I know that image retention is part of having a plasma, but I was shocked to see it happen so quickly (after only 5 minutes of viewing). It did disappear after playing other content, or the break in DVD for about 10 minutes. However, I still have some questions:

1) Is this scenario normal for these TV?s or is it possible that I have a faulty unit.
2) After the ?break-in? period is this something that will not happen as often
3) I know that during the break in period you are supposed to limit static images. However, am I ok to watch a football game (4 hours) on espn this weekend? Without having to worry about permanent burn-in?

Thank you very much for any/help or advice. I love this TV, and am willing to take the time to break it in properly. But if I have a faulty unit, I would like to exchange it for a new one, while I still can.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung pn50c550 Image Retention
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung pn50c550 Image Retention
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 23, 2010 4:33 PM PST

msm026,

Thanks for considering a Samsung plasma. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue, however, and I'd definitely recommend that you consult your retailer (in the event an exchange is necessary) and work with them locally to solve the issue.

1. This doesn't sound normal to me, particularly at low settings. Break-In periods for TVs are a bit(!) of a thing-of-the-past, but when I see people say that they're taking the time to care for their set and still experience this issue, that indicates that the issue is probably not of your doing.

2. The way you're describing the scenario, the image retention shouldn't be happening as quickly, or as long as "under 5 minutes".

3. Yes, but you'll want to watch a few hours of full screen images to compensate. The manual specifies a timeframe, such as 5% of the viewing time per week should be limited to partial screen images without stretching or zooming.

I would definitely discuss the issue with your retailer. It's better that you get this addressed quickly, as how you describe this doesn't sound like normal operation.

Best of luck, and keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Julbartris / December 30, 2010 2:10 AM PST

Hi

I am having the same problem with my new TV. I watched the hockey game on TSN and after 5 minutes I could see the TSN logo and the scoreboard banner burned into the screen. It did go away by itself afterwards when I watched something else. I am concerned that this may get worse. Should I also take back my TV?

Thanks

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 3, 2011 8:13 AM PST

Julbartris,

What settings are you using? If Dynamic, then no. If another one, I'd recommend talking with your retailer.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.