Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PN50C550 auto adjust picture problems

by airseb / May 28, 2010 1:19 PM PDT

I just bought the 50 inch Samsung Plasma PN50C550 and have a problem that I cannot seem to fix. Every time I change channel that has a different resolution (1920x1080i, 1280x720,720x480), the TV will not adjust the picture size accordingly and may be missing part of the image either on the bottom or the right and side with a black bar only on the left. The only way to force it to correct itself is to do a picture Self-Diagnostic. That will only last as long as the resolution of another channel remains the same, otherwise I have to constantly do the test. Besides that, the TV has a great image quality, but most likely will return it if unable to fix this somewhat annoying issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN50C550 auto adjust picture problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN50C550 auto adjust picture problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung PN50C550 auto adjust picture problems
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2010 4:34 PM PDT

airseb,

Are you using a cable/sat box? In some cases where symptoms like this have been reported, the STB isn't set to output in the 16x9 aspect ratio. Try adjusting (checking) that to make sure that it's set to output 16x9.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No improvement
by airseb / May 28, 2010 10:00 PM PDT

I made sure that the picture aspect ration is set to 16:9 on the cable box. It is the 8300HDC from Scientific American which is what Time Warner uses. As far as resolutions, it has the 480p, 720i and 1080i set depending on channel signal. The TV itself is set to 16:9. I even tried the Screen Fit, but still doesn't work. The image will not adjust itself to the proper resolution therefore losing part of it on the bottom or right side. Any other thoughts? Would a software update do anything?

Collapse -
No improvement
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: No improvement

airseb,

If it's losing the bottom or the right side of the picture, and you're using HDMI, then it's most likely a box problem.

Where's the self-diagnosis that corrects this issue?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Resolution Problem
by buddwil / June 6, 2010 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: No improvement

Gents,

I bought this same TV last month and have been dealing with the exact same problem. I am using a SA box from TWC as well (via HDMI).

The TV will display 480, 720 and 1080 resolution correctly initially. The problem seems to arise when switching between different resolutions. My only workaround so far is to return to a 480 channel from the malformed 720 or 1080 source, and then back to the HD - that switch seems to recycle the source auto-detect enough to force a proper display.

Nonetheless, a dissappointing problem. Would love to hear any suggestions to get this fixed.

Stephen

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by tvnewsguy / June 30, 2010 5:55 AM PDT

Black bar on he left side of the screen Picture shifted to the right and partially cut off I made sure the cable box was set correctly to 16x9. It didn't work.
It only goes back to normal when I turn the tv on and off again.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by petesieber / July 10, 2010 4:09 PM PDT

Same problem- they need a firmware update asap
also the tuner was shot on mine and it buzzes bad- dont buy these open box at BB because there is a reason they are being returned-lol

Collapse -
temporary fix
by half=breed / July 16, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

I just bought an LN37C530 and have the exact same problem. When switching resolutions between 720p and 1080i or vice versa, the aspect ratio and picture centering get messed up and stay that way unless I either run the self diagnostic or switch to a 480p channel to reset the screen. However, there is a temporary fix:

You have to force the cable box to output in 1080i only. Doing this will force the cable box to stay in only one output mode so that the TV won't have to attempt to change resolutions when switching channels. You might have to run the self diagnostic one last time after forcing the box to 1080i, but once you do the TV will be ok.

As for the Samsung tech's answer, this is appears to indeed be a problem with the TV and not the cable box. You can tell because when the cable box switches resolutions and the TV freaks out, you can fix the problem by only doing the self diagnostic on the TV. Since the signal from the cable box has not changed, I don't see how the cable box could be the problem.

I have a Samsung tech that is supposed to come out in a few days to look at the TV. I'll let you know what he says.

Collapse -
Update
by jhochberg1336 / August 3, 2010 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: temporary fix

I am experiencing the same issue. Any update from the tech?

Collapse -
choose only ONE output resolution from your cable box!
by CaptainBetty / September 17, 2010 4:03 AM PDT

Hi everyone... just bought this TV and struggled for a bit with the auto picuture adjustment.

the issue is that you may have more than one output resolution chosen in your cable box's seettings.

In my case, I had 720p and 1080i chosen. some channels were okay but one flipped out and nothing would work.

I went in and choose just 720p and then everything is just fine. I'd rather watch a progressive picture anyways.

So the solution is to choose either 1080i or 720p... not both.

Collapse -
reply to Samsung PN50C550 and adjust pircute problems...
by uwuwrme / September 30, 2010 12:06 AM PDT

I just had to do the same thing (set the Brighthouse DVR/Tuner box at 1080i ONLY) in order to get a Samsung UN40C5000QF to behave right. It doesn't like changing between 720p and 1080i; the picture always ends up shifting to the right. Previous to this the TV had to be turned on and off to rectify the problem. It worked find using the component input. I advised my client to call Samsung as this seems to be a problem that shouldn't exist.

Collapse -
pn50c550 auto adjust
by grovedc / October 2, 2010 11:21 PM PDT

Same problem here.

If it helps anyone, pn50c550, scientific atlantic 8300 and a denon 2807 receiver.

I have update to the July 1014 firmware - no help.

My "work around" is to hit the "source" button on the remote and cycle through the inputs.

Curiously, I have a PS3 and it will toggle from 720p to 1080p. This works just fine.

Hope that helps,

Doug

Collapse -
pn50c550 auto adjust
by mailman41 / October 7, 2010 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: pn50c550 auto adjust

i have a Scientific Atlanta 8300hdc and the fix is definately choosing one resolution either 720p or 1080i this drove me crazy for about a week but now all is great on all hd channels

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?