Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PN50B650 plasma unresponsive to remote

by XFistsClenchedX / June 29, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I'm starting to have problems with my Samsung PN50B650 plasma television. Twice now it has become mostly unresponsive to the remote control that came with it. I can turn the volume up and down, but navigating the menus is extremely difficult (if I'm lucky, holding a button down for a second or two will register a response) and I can't turn the tv off without touching the power button on the tv. When this is happening, the red light on the corner of the tv is flashing on and off. I've also noticed it will sometimes end a slideshow or scrolling bars that I've left up without me hitting anything.

From the beginning, I haven't been able to get the television to connect to the internet, which probably was a bad sign to start off with. I only have 923 hours on the tv. Will I have to get the tv repaired or is there something else I can try?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN50B650 plasma unresponsive to remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN50B650 plasma unresponsive to remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung PN50B650 plasma unresponsive to remote
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2010 1:52 PM PDT

XFistsClenchedX,

If you know exactly how many hours are registered on the panel, it's likely that you've gone into the service menu. If you've done something in there that caused the remote to stop working properly, or have changed regions or done a number of things, that may be the cause. In which case, it would likely require a technician.

You can try, with the TV powered on, pushing down the MENU button on the remote until it prompts you to "RESET", to which you might try selecting YES to see if that helps.

Not to be a wise guy, but have you tried fresh batteries?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by XFistsClenchedX / June 29, 2010 2:12 PM PDT

Yeah, I have been in the service menu, but I have only been in there to check the amount of hours I have on the tv. I don't mess with anything else.

I have tried fresh batteries. Initially, that is what I thought it was, but I'm having the problem again and I just changed the batteries with new ones I bought at the store a week or two ago. I've read that someone else had this problem with their Samsung, but they exchanged it with Amazon for a different model so I don't know what the problem ended up being.

Next time it happens I will try the menu button reset. I have a feeling that won't work though because the menu button is one of the buttons that seems to stop working. This has only happened twice, but both times weren't too far apart so I'm concerned.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2010 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

XFistsClenchedX,

You might try turning off devices to see if something is causing interference around the TV when this happens, where the remote might suddenly start working again.

Just in case... if you hear back or have new results, I'm always interested in hearing them.

--HDTech

Collapse -
video
by XFistsClenchedX / July 1, 2010 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Well, it happened again today and I got a video of it this time. The camera I used to record the video has a broken lens, which is why part of the video is obscured and why it is fuzzy. The humming sound in the video is my XBOX 360, not the tv. What I didn't show in the video is that when the tv does this, the remote won't turn it off. It has to be turned off manually.

It could be interference I suppose, but it had this problem for about an hour today and then it went away with no explanation and then came back for a couple seconds a few minutes later. I don't know what could interfere with it, unless it is something the neighbor is doing.

Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9eHWMT3Po

Collapse -
video
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 1, 2010 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: video

XFistsClenchedX,

It looks like the remote is acting funny. You're pushing buttons and sometimes it lights, and other times it doesn't seem to, and at one point, it looked like it flashed a few times on its own.

Did I not see that correctly?

--HDTech

Collapse -
hmm
by XFistsClenchedX / July 2, 2010 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: video

I watched the video and didn't see it flash on its own, but next time it happens I will pay more attention to the remote. Thanks. If it's just the remote, that's an easy fix because I could just get a nice Harmony remote.

Collapse -
hmm
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2010 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

XFistsClenchedX,

Around :50, it seemed to flash on it's own, and then the remote's back-light stayed on after it looked like you lifted off, where you said "the red light is freaking out" shortly after.

It seemed strange to me, but that may be something to look at.

Even a Harmony 300 (under $50) may prove to be better, and will control a fair amount of devices to boot. (I have one here for testing stuff without having a clutter of remotes). I can't say definitively if that's the issue, but the red light blinking indicates that it's receiving a constant signal, so that's what I can deduct from here.

I'd be interested in knowing if that'd work.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?