Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung pn50A650/LN52A750

by Freeman1949 / January 29, 2009 10:40 PM PST

Can anyone tell me if the50" plasma panel is more costly to replace versus the 52" LN Panel.I'm in the process of buying but is having a hard time deciding on which way to go.I understand the plasmas as a 100k lifetime and the LN AS 60K Lifetime.My luck the waranty will be out and thats when mind would go.I plan to use it in a Rec-room with that as a window 7'x 30".Also has Samsung fixed the bezel and the clouding problem on the 2009 tv's.Looking at all the reviews it fustrating on which tv would be the better choice.Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung pn50A650/LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung pn50A650/LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably not worth worrying about
by clicq / January 30, 2009 3:38 AM PST

Not sure where you got those numbers, but they're probably in hours...

There are 8760 hours in a year (24 * 365). If you had your set on 24 hours a day straight, even 60,000 hours would give you over 6 years of viewing. Of course, you probably won't watch that much TV so...

In any case, I think replacing the panel on either set is going to cost as much as buying a new TV.

Collapse -
Life Hours...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 9:24 AM PST

Freeman,

Thanks for your patience. I've been in meetings this week.

You are correct regarding the hours (100k/plasma and 60k/LCD), and it's very imporobably that the panel itself will go out. If you're looking at prices, you might want to consider www.samsungparts.com to see what replacement parts cost. You can also call our parts distribution at 800-SAMSUNG and select the menu option for parts.

I hope this helps!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Life Hours
by Freeman1949 / January 31, 2009 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: Life Hours...

Thanks for the reply HD Tech.I went and purchased the 52A750 over the plasma.I hope I didn't make the wrong decision.I am using Bell Sat.3100 receiver, I was told by Futureshop staff that I should get good reception, which I understand that it will not be like HD.However I do have the option on returning it if not satisfied. Can you tell me if I will experience clouding or motion blur with this TV.The Tv is going to be used in a basememt room with a window size 8'x 30" do you think I will experience sunlight problems in this type of environment.

Thanks again

Collapse -
HD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 4:28 PM PST
In reply to: Life Hours

You may receive some HD channels depending on where you place your antenna, and depending on what channels are broadcasting in HD.

The placement of your windows is relatively key. I wouldn't put the television where the screen would be in direct sunlight, or where you'd sit at an agle towards the window with the television as a reflection point. Maybe shades on the window might cut down on some of the issues? It's worth suggesting.

AutoMotion Plus will cut down on any of the motion blur, and that is adjustable - so hopefully, you won't experience that. It also depends on the transmission of the picture signal.

Clouding may or may not occur. If it does, in most cases it can be adjusted out. If not, we can send a repair tech (If that's how it works in Canada - I'm working on understanding Canada's policies, and should have a contact there shortly to assist with my questions for our northern friends), or as you noted, you could exchange it if you do experience it.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung LN52A750
by Freeman1949 / February 5, 2009 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Life Hours...

Hi

I received my LN52A750 and it's just what Ithought I might experience "The smokey pic" effect.I find not only the sports most of the regular channels have this out of focus/blurry effect.I tryed adjust some settings but really didn't acheve very much improvements.Why in the world did they do away with the old CRT they worked fine and had awesome picture quality.Is there a specific set of setings available that may make this TV more pleasant for viewing.I should have went on my only judgement rather than the futureshop staff telling me their would be no problem.

Disappointed

Collapse -
(NT) samsung lcd
by Freeman1949 / February 7, 2009 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LN52A750
Collapse -
Smokey pic?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2009 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LN52A750

Freeman1949,

What is the Smokey Pic Effect? Can you describe the symptoms you're experiencing?

--HDTech

Collapse -
smokey effect
by Freeman1949 / February 8, 2009 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Smokey pic?

Thanks very much for the reply.

The smokey effect that i'm experiencing is like the pix.is out of focus,lacking crisp image.The writing is sharp with the menu up but very distorted when viewing channels,sports like nascar/hockey is very terrible very hard on the eyes to watch when it like out of fucus.I went on line and got setting from tweaktv.com for the samsung LN52A750 and they make even worst.Do you have ant settings pertaing to this set that would be the best viewing settings for this tv.I have set different combitations of settings but still very little improvement.Like I said I don't have HDI. and is aware that it's not going to be like HDI but I was expecting better quality than what I get.I'M using a 3100 Bell Express Vu Reciever, that shouldn't be a problem from what they told me at Futureshop.I also have a Digital feed comming into the house and I don't see much of a change with connected to it.Do you have any suggestions before I try and see if a plasma will be better in my circunstances.

Thanks again for the reply and help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?