TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop

In the past few weeks I purchased a new laptop (HP dv9000 running Vista x64 Home Premium SP 1) with a HDMI output. Today I tried to hook the laptop to my plasma TV via a HDMI cable and it looks and sounds great except that the edge around my desktop does not display on my plasma TV. I've tried adjusting screen resolutions, mirroring the display, and making the external plasma the only display. Nothing fixes the problem--even at the super low resolutions the cropping is seen.

My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS. By default I run at 1440 x 900 pixels. I have a SAMSUNG HP-S5053 and have played with all the menu settings and it doesn't seem to allow you to move the picture if you use the HDMI input vice the PC input (the option is grayed out). The number of pixels on the HP-S5053 is 1366 x 768 so I wouldn't expect my highest resolution to show entirely, but I do expect the lower resolutions to display completely without the cropping effect.

I have a 17" laptop display and about 1 cm of the edge is the area that is cropped on my plasma TV. I can work around this, but it is annoying. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. In poking around on the net it appears I might be encountering an overscan problem, but I've yet to find an answer.

Thanks,
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you

In reply to: Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop

Have you tryed to see if there is any download drivers for the PC to correct this problem.

some times they have other resolutions with a newer driver that will be optimized for an HDTV.

Collapse -
Tried NVIDIA and HP and both sites say no updates available

In reply to: Have you

I did visit the NVIDIA website and ran their driver updater application. It told me I needed to go thru the HP website since HP does some sort of modification/bundling to drivers. I then tried the HP Updater(built into my laptop) and it says I have no updates available.

I am loathe to call HP and ask for help since I've been told their tech support is less than stellar, but I might eventually end up doing that.

Thanks,
Mark

Collapse -
What is the native resolution...

of your plasma?

If your plasma is 1080p, there is no way that you will be able to get an uncropped image that is coming from a 1366x768 or 1440x900 source.

Collapse -
Did you fix the problem?

I got EXACTLY the same problem with an ASUS T9600 with NVIDIA graphics at 1 GB. Tried all the possible resoultions and settings from the laptop and the TV. Nothing. The image on the Samsung TV via HDMI always has the 4 edges cropped by about 10 to 15 %.

Collapse -
re: Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop

I had the same problem with my 42" plasma and my Radeon HD4770, but a quick look in the manual for the TV solved the problem. For some reason it only displays properly, without cropping, when the HDMI cable is plugged into a specific HDMI port. Safe enough to assume this rule is true of other models. Once the cable is plugged into the correct port the display configures itself. The resolution (on my model anyway) is restricted to 1024x768 max but at least it fills the whole screen now.

Collapse -
Solution

In reply to: re: Samsung Plasma TV cropped picture with my laptop

Change back to 1920x1080 60Hz. Then there are a few ways to fix it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!