Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PC Share Manager taking hours to update

by Stingray_f5b / December 14, 2008 10:04 AM PST

Hi, I am new to the forum - just joined after trying to find a solution to the problems I am having!!

I have just setup a Samsung LA46A950 LCD and and extremely pleased with it. Have used a USB drive to play music through the sound system etc. Windows Media center on wife's Laptop works Ok when it is connected directly via HDMI or DVI to TV. Display is amazing.

I have hit a wall installing the PC Share manager on my networked laptop. I installed version 1.2 that came with the TV. When I installed it I had my WD 500G external HDD attached - the software took several hours to fully install - I assumed it was reading the external drive as well. I found the 1.4.2 update and installed it (over the 1.2?) When asked to reboot, the computer would not restart, (froze on the first screen with the windows logo) Finally restarted in safe mode and went to a restore point prior to the install.

Deleted the directory SAMSUNG(2) from programs directory after checking it was not in the Add/remove programs.

Disconnected the External drive and reinstalled the version 1.4.2

It again took hours to install and when I tried to change the directory so that only the photos directory was displayed it froze totally - ie no progress after an over night session!

Does the software normally take such HUGE times to scan the disk (or what ever it is doing) ????

My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra A7 - Intel T2300 @ 1.66Ghz with 1 GB RAM
Hdd is only 60GB with 41GB used. Running Win XP SP3. Using Norton IS 2009 - it seems good compared with previous versions I have tried !

When the display says "updating ??" (can't fully remeber), Task Manager shows that Wiselinkpro.exe is using just under 50% of the CPU time - ie hogging one core when the Share Manager appears to be frozen - little or no HDD activity !? I let it go like this for an hour or two before "killing it"! Starting it again WiselinkPro.exe is not using CPU time but the I/O Read Bytes is 5,157,774,203!

Of course the TV cannot even see the PC at all !! But this is probably another issue (network?) I can ping the TV and see all other PCs and can see the Windows Home Server as a UPnP device - should I be able to see the TV in My Network Places??

I have the TV on fixed IP 192.168.2.21 My routers are 192.168.2.1 (Internet gateway) and 192.168.2.2 (lounge room sharing & wireless) WHS is on 192.168.2.5 and the PC start DHCP from 192.168.2.100

TV CAN access the internet to show weather, stocks and news from Yahoo. Using Cat 5 cable connection only (no wireless for TV or PCs at the moment)

I am not game to try installing Share Manager on my main PC as it has 3 x 500GB drives - going by my laptop's results it will take the rest of the week to install!! ?? (Maybe I will try an old unsed PC with a fresh Win XP install and see if that works!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PC Share Manager taking hours to update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PC Share Manager taking hours to update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now I'm embarrased !!
by Stingray_f5b / December 14, 2008 3:17 PM PST

Well after the post I gave it another go and tried to set it to a directory with just a single file in it!

I went away (& mowed the lawn) and when I came back the "Please wait while updating changes on PC" had actually finished !!

Tried the TV and the single music "mp3" file played !!!! Happy

I added extra files, more music and then some photos so that I now have a total of about 25 files. All works Ok now. Still trying to get video AVI working ... Setting the changed state only takes a few seconds now...

It appears that the software scanned the whole system for some reason or at least the "My Documents" folder. Admittedly, there are 16,000 files in there (24GB) and includes my full iTunes directory.

Maybe it would be best to create a blank directory and only add a few files at a time - it took all night first time around and the WHS backup may have "killed it" I am now thinking.

Anyway just thought I would let you know that it is now working.

From another post I saw, it looks like I will not be able to run the software on my WHS as it is based on Server 2003 and apparently the latest software does not support this?? As the other person said, it would be much better to be able to have it on a machine that does not get turned off.

Collapse -
PC Share
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 14, 2008 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: Now I'm embarrased !!

Stingray_15b,

Welcome to the forum - I'm glad to see you got it working. Sorry it took some trouble to get there.

I've listed from the manual a list of files that PC Share (and WiseLink) will support. It may be possible that not all your video and audio files will be supported. Some that aren't listed may actually work, however, this is the list of things we know SHOULD work.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/Page82.jpg

The resolution, audio and codecs all must be lined up for the video and audio files. I say that because you mentioned that you have a lot of music files from iTunes, and those aren't always in mp3 format.

I hope this information is useful.

--HDTech

Collapse -
File formats for PC Share and WiseLink
by Stingray_f5b / December 16, 2008 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: PC Share

Thanks for the link.

I have been trying AVS Video Converter with some success.
The video from my Canon S1 IS digital camera will not play "as is"

I found a number of video types that play Ok.
One option that I also tried was cropping the 4:3 that comes from the camera to 16:9 wide screen.

This worked better than I expected and made the resulting clip look bigger on the screen.

Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?