Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

SAMSUNG PC LAPTOP SLOW AFTER SYSTEM RESTORE?

Recently did a complete system restore on my laptop and put in anti virus outlook word and all the necessities to get it working again. Runs on windows 7.
From time to time it keeps freezing whether on line or writing letters (blue windows will keeps rotating) What is causing the PC to freeze go slow like this? No viruses detected and PC recently restored. Thank you.

cultman1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG PC LAPTOP SLOW AFTER SYSTEM RESTORE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG PC LAPTOP SLOW AFTER SYSTEM RESTORE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cultman1

Collapse -
a couple of things to consider

In reply to: SAMSUNG PC LAPTOP SLOW AFTER SYSTEM RESTORE?

1. if you did a factory restore, there may be a trial version of some antivirus that needs to be uninstall since you said you installed your own antivirus. You should only one one antivirus installed on your computer. more than that will slow your system down.
2. since you said it is a new install, the computer could be indexing your system. it will slow your system down for a day or so depending how much stuff is on the computer and how long the computer is powered on. you can disable it to see if that is the cause.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-search-indexing-in-windows-7/

Collapse -
Answer
What Kind Of "System Restore"?

If the computer originally had Windows 7 on it, without Service Pack 1, and you did a full reload of the operating system after formatting the drive, then it may need all the updates and all the correct drivers installed. Most laptops have a "recovery partition" which allows the user to perform a full SYSTEM RECOVERY back to its factory condition. Is that what you did? Was the computer originally Windows 7, which included SP1, or maybe, was it originally Windows 8? Something else?

On the other hand, if you only did a true "System Restore", then the only thing that happened was you computer was taken back in time to an earlier date where the previous problems were still installed.

So please tell us EXACTLY what you did to "restore" the computer.

And HOW did you check for viruses? You might need to follow the instructions in the link below to better check for malware and trojans.

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5518840

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
SAMSUNG LAPTOP

In reply to: What Kind Of "System Restore"?

PC World did a full factory restore so it arrived back totally emptied and cleaned. It was not taken back to an earlier time... It originally had Windows 7 and still does although I keep getting asked if I want to download Windows 9!
I put in AVERSE anti virus when I started again from scratch earlier this week which I checked again this morning to see if any virus had crept in. Thanks so far Grif..

Collapse -
Do You Mean "Avast" Antivirus

In reply to: SAMSUNG LAPTOP

Once again, because antivirus programs can't find everything, please run the scans provided in the link I listed earlier. Also, if the computer was taken back to its factory state, you may actually have TWO antivirus programs installed, which could be causing the lockups. Check in the Control Panel-Programs and Features for other antivirus programs that may be listed along with Avast.. Frequently, a "trial" version of Norton or McAfee may be there and you'll need to uninstall the one you don't want.

In addition, you might try running Chkdsk per the link below, in order to optimize the disk and fix files that might be dodgy.

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
slow PC

In reply to: Do You Mean "Avast" Antivirus

thanks v much seems to have sorted itself now following your advice

Collapse -
Answer
Take Grif's advice but there is no Windows 9

That sounds like some infection. SAMSUNG has a procedure to make restore media. Be sure these are made and duplicated since some infections can require the use of those.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.